Current Contest Banner

EFX Subscriptions

The Slippery Soapbox

You have opinions to share and bizarre questions to ask, this is the place for discussions that don't fit any other forum section.

Re: The OFFICIAL SPORTS thread

Postby jamshedt » Jul Mon 17, 2017 10:13 am

No doubt about that !! Man's a living legend
jamshedt
Exclusive Resident
Your Desthpicable
Topics: 65
CoverArt: 2221
Occupation: Just a regular guy trying to break the fourth wall !!
Medals: 14
2023 July Cover Contest (1)2021 Best Loser Cover Contest (1)2020 November Cover Contest (1)2020 July Cover Contest (1)
2019 Best Loser Cover Contest (1)2018 October Cover Contest (1)2018 Best Loser Cover Contest (1)2017 Design Merit Contest (1)

Postby alienmem » Jul Mon 17, 2017 10:42 am

yeah...It's like Messi in soccer and Brady in football.

We're witnessing the GOATs and it's a privilege although I prefer Sampras to Federer. Always have , always will. But the guy is great. Different eras. Can't compare.
alienmem
VIP Subscriber
I'm in a transitional period
Topics: 87
CoverArt: 122
Medals: 2
Wile E. Coyote Genius 2017 (1)Showdown Alienmem def Jamshedt (1)

Mopar Mile-High NHRA Nationals 2017

Postby ctaulbee » Jul Mon 17, 2017 11:33 pm

The legendary Mopar Mile-High NHRA Nationals kick off the traditional three-week Western Swing in Denver this weekend as the Mello Yello teams travel high and deep into the Rocky Mountains to more than 5,800 feet, where the altitude affects everything from engine tune-ups to aerodynamics. Crews must make changes to established power-making combinations and battle lack of downforce to tackle the environs. The event is a testament to the skill and adaptability of the racers.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
My Gallery  •  Please leave a vote and short comment if you download my work, thanks.  •  My Criterion Collection
ctaulbee
Super Administrator
Hand Me The Sledgehammer... I'll Fix It!
Topic author
Topics: 1091
CoverArt: 3412
Resources: 4628
Medals: 56
2021 Cover of The Year (1)COTM March 2021 (1)COTM January 2021 (1)COTM November 2020 (1)
COTM July 2020 (1)COTM February 2020 (1)COTM January 2020 (1)COTM December 2019 (1)

Postby bankska22 » Jul Wed 19, 2017 4:26 am

Mcgregor vs Mayweather  - Who wins?  Kind of silly to me. Boxing match will go to Mayweather. Unfair fight unless Mcgregor actually has boxing skills. He does have youth on his side.
bankska22
#1 Dallas Cowboy's Fan!
Topics: 977
CoverArt: 1917
Resources: 24
Medals: 10
COTM January 2023 (1)2021 April Cover Contest (1)2020 August Cover Contest (1)2020 May Cover Contest (1)
EFX 5K Post Club (1)2019 June Cover Contest (1)COTM March 2019 (1)2014 Action Label Design Comp (1)

Postby alienmem » Jul Wed 19, 2017 7:18 am

bankska22 wrote:Mcgregor vs Mayweather  - Who wins?  Kind of silly to me. Boxing match will go to Mayweather. Unfair fight unless Mcgregor actually has boxing skills. He does have youth on his side.

I think I read about the rules some time ago and it's not gonna be a regular boxing match. It'll have different rules.
I don't like Mayweather. He's boring. But let's see what gives
alienmem
VIP Subscriber

Postby sauron » Jul Wed 19, 2017 2:20 pm

bankska22 wrote:Mcgregor vs Mayweather  - Who wins?  Kind of silly to me. Boxing match will go to Mayweather. Unfair fight unless Mcgregor actually has boxing skills. He does have youth on his side.

Now a sport I like :)

Mayweather isn't unbeaten for no reason, his defensive skills are amazing - obviously McGregor carries power in both fists but the question is, will he be able to land cleanly on Floyd and if he does - will it have an effect on him.

I do think McGregor will have some boxing skills, plus he is sparring and being taught by Paulie Malignaggi who is in my opinion one of the best boxing pundits today plus an ex boxer as well.
sauron
VIP Subscriber
Build me a cover worthy of Mordor.
Topics: 7
CoverArt: 27
Resources: 9

Postby ctaulbee » Aug Tue 01, 2017 7:36 am

Thursday night, it's almost here...

Cowboys vs Cardinals in Hall of Fame Game Aug 3 8PM EST
My Gallery  •  Please leave a vote and short comment if you download my work, thanks.  •  My Criterion Collection
ctaulbee
Super Administrator
Topic author
2021 Cover of The Year (1)COTM March 2021 (1)COTM January 2021 (1)COTM November 2020 (1)
COTM July 2020 (1)COTM February 2020 (1)COTM January 2020 (1)COTM December 2019 (1)

Postby alienmem » Aug Tue 01, 2017 7:50 am

I think Mayweather is the most boring boxer ever...never wins by knockout. I'd love him to lose.

McConnor has a huge disadvantage though as they're fighting by boxing rules and McConnor never boxed.
If they fought by UFC rules Mayweather would lose hands down. Leg broken arm broken, anything. No doubt. UFC is more brutal than boxing.

Now the question is, can McConnor learn how to box in this period of time? Mayweather is old. McConnor is young, so that's an advantage. McConnor has more power. Wait and see.
alienmem
VIP Subscriber

Postby ctaulbee » Aug Tue 01, 2017 7:55 am

alienmem wrote:If they fought by UFC rules Mayweather would lose hands down. Leg broken arm broken, anything. No doubt. UFC is more brutal than boxing.

Yes it is, although it is far more tame today due to rules than it was in the beginning, still it is not for the faint of heart.

When it first started it was savage lol but too many were getting hurt badly, so the rules evolved pretty quickly.

:-$
ctaulbee
Super Administrator
Topic author

Postby sauron » Aug Tue 01, 2017 9:07 am

alienmem wrote:I think Mayweather is the most boring boxer ever...never wins by knockout. I'd love him to lose.

McConnor has a huge disadvantage though as they're fighting by boxing rules and McConnor never boxed.
If they fought by UFC rules Mayweather would lose hands down. Leg broken arm broken, anything. No doubt. UFC is more brutal than boxing.

Now the question is, can McConnor learn how to box in this period of time? Mayweather is old. McConnor is young, so that's an advantage. McConnor has more power. Wait and see.

Sorry but I personally think that anyone who thinks Mayweather is boring, really doesn't appreciate how good he is. When he fought Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez he made him look bang average and Alvarez is a very good fighter having only lost once to Mayweather in his 51 fights. It's the same when he fought Manny Pacquiao, Manny couldn't land on him because his defensive skills are very very good.

Although I don't know much about MMA, I believe McGregor started boxing at a young age so does have skills there which can be seen when he fights inside the octagon, especially when he knocker out Aldo in 13 seconds with a great punch.
sauron
VIP Subscriber

Postby alienmem » Aug Tue 01, 2017 10:22 am

As you say Sauron his style is defensive. I'm not saying he isn't a good or great boxer. I'm just saying he's not a go-getter.

Like I grew up with Tyson winning in 5 seconds...bang...knock out!!!

the guy was the most visceral boxer ever! So that's my comparison. In every sport I love attacking styles and I hate deffensive styles. You have to be good at both but it's always more pleasant for me see a team or indidual always attacking than always defending.

But I take nothing from Mayweather being a great boxer.
alienmem
VIP Subscriber

Postby sauron » Aug Tue 01, 2017 10:31 am

alienmem wrote:As you say Sauron his style is defensive. I'm not saying he isn't a good or great boxer. I'm just saying he's not a go-getter.

Like I grew up with Tyson winning in 5 seconds...bang...knock out!!!

the guy was the most visceral boxer ever! So that's my comparison. In every sport I love attacking styles and I hate deffensive styles. You have to be good at both but it's always more pleasant for me see a team or indidual always attacking than always defending.

But I take nothing from Mayweather being a great boxer.

Yeah Tyson was a mean fighter, I was only young then so was always in bed by the time his fights were on but my parents would watch all the fights. Tyson was a heavyweight though so that's why he could bang whereas at the lower weights some people don't carry that power. Mayweather adapted his style to be more defensive when he realised he was slowing and couldn't knock people out anymore, shows how good he really is to change his fighting style.

It will definitely be an interesting fight Mayweather vs. McGregor.
sauron
VIP Subscriber

Postby alienmem » Aug Mon 21, 2017 7:45 am

So what's of sports up late? While i spend the summer in agony as to know where my favorite player goes to, the magician, the great Kyrie Irving I've been watching soccer.
So my Barcelona is a one man team. Messi has to do everything. The board are a band of nincompoups that can't even sign a star player and they're the richest club in the world...arrg

Premier League. Same old. Arsenal plays very enjoyably but won't win the eague again. Tottenham oroved that signing no one was not an option. Liverpool won the two games nut since I'm a Barça fan i hope Coutinho ends up leaving and without him they struggle
Let's see what City does today but it's City's league to win or lose. They have the superior manager and team. I hope they thrash all ther opponents
alienmem
VIP Subscriber

Postby ctaulbee » Aug Mon 21, 2017 9:16 am

It's second week of pre-season games in the NFL, showcasing all the new talent.

The big cuts for final rosters will be coming end of the month then there will be well over 1200 unemployed Pro football players floating around lol.

I have NFL network so it's 24/7 football at this address, they replay all the games so I watch everyone play, the Steelers new blood is looking good, this could be the year.

So week two update :steelers: Steelers Win  :cowboys: Cowboys Win  :seahawks: Seahawks Win it twas a good week.

ctaulbee
Super Administrator
Topic author

Postby alienmem » Aug Mon 21, 2017 12:09 pm

The favorites have to be the Patriots again. Can Brady at age what, 34,35 , bring home another ring? If that happens he'll probably the oldest or one of the oldest quarterbacks to do so I think. And it'll be his 6th ring. I think that'll put a coffin to the GOAT issue.

I don't follow the NFL regular season. Only the NBA and spanish La Liga. Don't have time for everything.
alienmem
VIP Subscriber

Postby ctaulbee » Aug Mon 21, 2017 12:15 pm

Tom Brady is 40 years old lmao... his birthday was Aug 3rd.
ctaulbee
Super Administrator
Topic author

Postby sauron » Aug Mon 21, 2017 1:14 pm

Almost time for Mayweather vs. McGregor! Who's watching and who does everyone think will win?
sauron
VIP Subscriber

Postby alienmem » Aug Mon 21, 2017 1:47 pm

ctaulbee wrote:Tom Brady is 40 years old lmao... his birthday was Aug 3rd.

He is? Man, and he still plays? Shouldn't he be retired by now?

I mean quarterback you don't need to do 100 yard sprints but you have to be in shape

sauron wrote:Almost time for Mayweather vs. McGregor! Who's watching and who does everyone think will win?

I think there's no chance Mcgregor can win. You can bet all your money on Mayweather.
alienmem
VIP Subscriber

Postby ctaulbee » Aug Mon 21, 2017 1:56 pm

alienmem wrote:

I mean quarterback you don't need to do 100 yard sprints but you have to be in shape

My guess is if they don't make the big show this year he will retire.
ctaulbee
Super Administrator
Topic author

Postby alienmem » Aug Mon 21, 2017 5:09 pm

ctaulbee wrote:
alienmem wrote:

My guess is if they don't make the big show this year he will retire.

I guess. he nas nothing more to prove. he has a hot wife, money for life. I'd retire
alienmem
VIP Subscriber

Postby sauron » Aug Mon 21, 2017 5:51 pm

alienmem wrote:
sauron wrote:Almost time for Mayweather vs. McGregor! Who's watching and who does everyone think will win?

I think there's no chance Mcgregor can win. You can bet all your money on Mayweather.

I also think Mayweather but I don't think you can say there's no chance as there's always a chance but we shall see how McGregors awkward will be on Saturday, well Sunday for us in the UK.
sauron
VIP Subscriber

Postby alienmem » Aug Wed 23, 2017 7:07 am

Bombastic news. Kyrie Irving to the Celtics on a 2 year contract while Isaiah Thimas(on his final year of contract), Crowder, some guy who's name ends in ic..or ov. probably an ex-jougoslavian or ex-russian plus and here's the part thats best for the Cavs, a first round pick from brooklyn.

All in all i think the Celtics did a good job. Plus I love the Celtics!! My new NBa tema now that Irving is there.
alienmem
VIP Subscriber

Postby ctaulbee » Aug Wed 23, 2017 7:09 am

ctaulbee
Super Administrator
Topic author

Postby alienmem » Aug Wed 23, 2017 8:03 am

@CT, isn't that guy Wozniaki's boyfriend?
alienmem
VIP Subscriber

Postby ctaulbee » Aug Thu 24, 2017 4:45 pm

I don't know but Kyrie is my new favorite NBA player now that he is on the right team!

Oh and Thursday Night Kickoff is in a hour and a half woohoo!!!!

ctaulbee
Super Administrator
Topic author

PreviousNext

Return to The Slippery Soapbox