Current Contest Banner

EFX Subscriptions

The Slippery Soapbox

You have opinions to share and bizarre questions to ask, this is the place for discussions that don't fit any other forum section.

Re: The OFFICIAL SPORTS thread

Postby alienmem » Jul Tue 31, 2018 12:36 pm

ctaulbee wrote:Well they are serious games but they don't play the first string much it's mostly to try out newly acquired players to see how they do, before the real games start.

But I assume they try not to give it their all so they don't get serious injuries that can jeopardize their seasons. Much like soccer friendlies. I don't think basketball has an offseason. The season is long as is. The offseason is pretty much training I think.

Well, I expect to watch my Patriots tear the opposition apart..Tear them apart!!! Apart!.

;)
alienmem
Ambassador
I'm in a transitional period
Topic author
Topics: 82
CoverArt: 106
Medals: 2
Wile E. Coyote Genius 2017 (1)Showdown Alienmem def Jamshedt (1)

Postby ctaulbee » Jul Tue 31, 2018 1:48 pm

Well yeah they have bad injuries during pre-season, that is what happened to Julian Edelman last year for the Pats a preseason injury put him out for the season before the first game.

Understand this happens just before final cuts have to be made too, many players who are not locked yet have to impress the coach in order to have a chance at making the team still and getting paid at least for the coming year you see, so it's competitive in that regard.

Super star players under contract already usually don't play much or take any risks, but sometimes silly things happen when they just go in for a few snaps to shake off a little rust in pre-season games.
You can find all my covers by clicking the spine image, if you download any please leave a comment or smiley, thanks
ctaulbee
Super Administrator
Hand Me The Sledgehammer... I'll Fix It!
Topics: 1044
CoverArt: 1957
Resources: 12373
Medals: 33
2018 July Cover Contest (1)COTM June 2018 (1)COTM February 2018 (1)COTM July 2017 (1)
2017 May Cover Contest (1)COTM March 2017 (1)COTM February 2017 (1)2017 February Cover Contest (1)

Postby alienmem » Jul Tue 31, 2018 2:48 pm

I suppose the risk is always there.
alienmem
Ambassador
I'm in a transitional period
Topic author
Topics: 82
CoverArt: 106
Medals: 2
Wile E. Coyote Genius 2017 (1)Showdown Alienmem def Jamshedt (1)

Postby ctaulbee » Jul Tue 31, 2018 2:53 pm

Yup, the Steelers kicker twisted his ankle running off the field after a field goal kick a couple of years ago in a Hall of Fame Game which is the first game of the Pre-Season. Then missed like 3-4 of our first regular season games, sucked too as no one else on the damn team can kick the ball but him, lol.

Just goes to show players can hurt themselves with no live plays going on even...
You can find all my covers by clicking the spine image, if you download any please leave a comment or smiley, thanks
ctaulbee
Super Administrator
Hand Me The Sledgehammer... I'll Fix It!
Topics: 1044
CoverArt: 1957
Resources: 12373
Medals: 33
2018 July Cover Contest (1)COTM June 2018 (1)COTM February 2018 (1)COTM July 2017 (1)
2017 May Cover Contest (1)COTM March 2017 (1)COTM February 2017 (1)2017 February Cover Contest (1)

Previous