Current Contest Banner

EFX Subscriptions

The Slippery Soapbox

You have opinions to share and bizarre questions to ask, this is the place for discussions that don't fit any other forum section.

Re: The Last Movie Or TV Show You Watched Rating & Review

Postby Fogdude » Feb Mon 12, 2018 12:07 pm

Taken (2017-) TV Series Season 1
EFX Rating35 stars

Well, Jennifer Beals finally grew into her eyes. The main character bears no physical relationship to Liam Neeson. I hadn't expected he would, though he's supposed to be the same character. He does a pretty good job of it, overall. In certain angles, I keep seeing Jeff Daniels, though a bit heavier, which is a bit distracting. If you're expecting this to be in parallel to the films, you'll be disappointed. There's plenty of action & it's good entertainment, but, if anything, they seem to be building the prequel to the man in the film franchise. If that's the case, it will be self limiting, obviously. I'm curious to see just how & where it goes. The seasons are short. Season 1 was only 10 episodes, though season two is expected to have 16. I'm hoping tha's a good sign.
Fogdude
VIP Subscriber
If you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
Topics: 153
Occupation: Retired IT guy. I was the one looking up from beneath your desk...
Medals: 1
Mr Grumpy 2017 (1)

Postby Fogdude » Feb Sun 18, 2018 10:01 am

Bull (2017-) TV Series Season 1
EFX Rating30 stars

I had ignored this one based on the synopsis. I never liked Dr. Phil & had no interest in a series based on his early work. While discussing recent shows, our very own Topmeasure told me I needed to reconsider & give it a try. I did. I'm glad. While nothing terribly great & the first few episodes had me fearing it was going to be extremely repetitive, after a few more episodes, I was sold. It's another procedural style series oriented on jury selection for trials. The characters aren't as endearing as I have found some in other series, & I didn't know any of the players, not having seen them in anything else, but over the season, they developed adequately. Toward the last, they introduced Eliza Dushku, who I've seen in many films over the years, mostly as a young girl, most notably in Buffy the Vampire Slayer & as Arnold Schwarzenegger's daughter in True Lies. I had always assumed she would end up an overweight alcoholic, living in a trailer park, but I was pleasantly surprised to see her as a mature woman, baby fat outgrown. That's probably because I don't watch commercial TV & missed her most current work. She's not stunning or especially beautiful, by Hollywood terms, but she is quite attractive & surprisingly, pulls off the part quite well. I'm looking forward to season 2, which is nearing its conclusion. I always wait until a season is finished, then binge it. (Yes, I'm one of those.)
Fogdude
VIP Subscriber
Mr Grumpy 2017 (1)

Postby RRJR84 » Feb Tue 20, 2018 9:33 am

Home Improvement: The complete series
EFX Rating40 stars

Still holds up fantastic after all these yrs, very funny and enjoyable. the transfers were not the greatest in the few first seasons. I think the studio didn't bother to clean it up.

Flight (2012)
EFX Rating10 stars

I just didn't enjoy this movie it wasn't all that interesting, Denzels character was a severe alcoholic and he flew drunk there the highlight of the story for me.

The Postman(1997)
EFX Rating30 stars

very long movie and overall pretty good story but still nothing extraordinary for me. very long movie almost 3 hrs

Professor Marston & the Wonder Women
EFX Rating20 stars

what a very weird backstory to the creation of wonder woman. i always knew the creator wasn't your standard writer but this movie sheds a completely new light on his inspiration for wonder woman and her first few yrs in publication

Man Down (2015)
EFX Rating0 stars

This movie was so strange and defiantly not your average war film , Its not even truly post apocalyptic, the main character (Shia LaBeouf) suffers from an extreme form of PTSD that make him think hes in an alternate future.

Stronger (2017)
EFX Rating20 stars

the only reason this movie gets two stars is because of jakes performance. He was convincing and you felt his emotion other than that it was nothing special. Its a different point of view off the Boston bombing, being told by a victim rather than the police like in patriots day
RRJR84
Designer
The Cartoon covers Guy
Topic author
Topics: 88
CoverArt: 881
Resources: 1
Showdown RRJR84 def TheDude (1)

Postby Fogdude » Feb Tue 20, 2018 7:05 pm

RRJR84 wrote:The Postman(1997)
EFX Rating30 stars

very long movie and overall pretty good story but still nothing extraordinary for me. very long movie almost 3 hrs

I've come to really appreciate Costner's overly long films. This is one of my faves, along with Water World, Open Range, Dances with Wolves & Wyatt Earp. I'm just glad you didn't blast it or I would have had to get medieval on your butt.
:D
Fogdude
VIP Subscriber
Mr Grumpy 2017 (1)

Postby stampe » Feb Wed 21, 2018 8:03 am

Fogdude wrote:
RRJR84 wrote:The Postman(1997)
EFX Rating30 stars

I've come to really appreciate Costner's overly long films. This is one of my faves, along with Water World, Open Range, Dances with Wolves & Wyatt Earp. I'm just glad you didn't blast it or I would have had to get medieval on your butt.

Don't forget JFK  :D
stampe
Artisan
dyslexic one
Topics: 62
CoverArt: 332
Resources: 5
Medals: 5
COTM May 2023 (1)COTM February 2023 (1)COTM February 2021 (1)2017 September Cover Contest (1)
Showdown Stampe def Jamshedt (1)

Postby Fogdude » Mar Mon 05, 2018 3:36 pm

Waco (2018) TV Miniseries
EFX Rating30 stars

While not getting overly political, nor taking sides very heavily, in either direction, this miniseries tells the essentials of the 1993 massacre of 89 American citizens (25 were children & infants) by the US government, in Waco, Texas. There are few in the USA who haven't heard about it. I watched it happen live on TV. One of the local TV stations had a video truck at the scene & though they were kept far away, they had telephoto lenses & were able to transmit footage that looked like they were 100 feet from the buildings. I watched our FBI use tanks with machine guns & flame throwers torch the buildings & shoot those trying to escape the tear gas & fire. It was clear & unmistakable. Naturally that was broadcast live & the footage disappeared immediately after, never to be seen again. The FBI claims the occupants deliberately committed suicide by starting the fires themselves, but there were survivors who tell a different story. If you are an American, or anyone else interested the oppressive use of government power against its citizens, you should see this. Honestly, I'm surprised it was allowed to be released, except that I know it was sanitized. The government has never been afraid to be seen as excessive, as long as it can't been proven & they pay no penalty. Naturally, the FBI razed the entire area within days, so there's not a trace of evidence left. That's a recurring theme with them.
Fogdude
VIP Subscriber
Mr Grumpy 2017 (1)

Postby chouette » Mar Tue 06, 2018 2:15 am

I just happened to research this mini-series over the weekend as I truly like Taylor Kitsch and this is the kind of story that fascinate me. I'm glad you liked it and commented on this. I'll be sure to keep an eye out for when it comes out on disc. Hope it does.
chouette
Site Moderator
In my defense, I was left unsupervised.
Topics: 281
CoverArt: 6487
Resources: 281
Medals: 18
EFX ShoutBox Champ 2022 (1)2023 January Cover Contest (1)15,000 Downloads (1)EFX ShoutBox Champ 2021 (1)
EFX ShoutBox Champ 2020 (1)EFX Camp Counselor 2020 (1)EFX ShoutBox Champ 2019 (1)Contributor Of The Year 2019 (1)

Postby Fogdude » Mar Sat 24, 2018 9:27 am

Annihilation (2018)

EFX Rating0 stars

My wife wanted to see this one based on previews she'd seen on cable. I agreed. Well, I kept nodding out through much of it, but the few portions I did see were completely boring. There was action & gore, but overall, it wasn't enough to redeem this futile exercise in fantasy sci-fi. I'm sure there are those who will acclaim this as the pinnacle of intellectual portrayal of the subject. I must disagree, in advance.
Fogdude
VIP Subscriber
Mr Grumpy 2017 (1)

Postby alienmem » Mar Sun 25, 2018 7:41 am

Fogdude wrote:Annihilation (2018)
I'm sure there are those who will acclaim this as the pinnacle of intellectual portrayal of the subject. I must disagree, in advance.

I am such a person  :)
alienmem
VIP Subscriber
I'm in a transitional period
Topics: 87
CoverArt: 122
Medals: 2
Wile E. Coyote Genius 2017 (1)Showdown Alienmem def Jamshedt (1)

Postby ctaulbee » Mar Sun 25, 2018 11:39 am

:giggle:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
My Gallery  •  Please leave a vote and short comment if you download my work, thanks.  •  My Criterion Collection
ctaulbee
Super Administrator
Hand Me The Sledgehammer... I'll Fix It!
Topics: 1091
CoverArt: 3412
Resources: 4628
Medals: 56
2021 Cover of The Year (1)COTM March 2021 (1)COTM January 2021 (1)COTM November 2020 (1)
COTM July 2020 (1)COTM February 2020 (1)COTM January 2020 (1)COTM December 2019 (1)

Postby alienmem » Mar Sun 25, 2018 12:34 pm

ctaulbee wrote::giggle:

alienmem
VIP Subscriber
I'm in a transitional period
Topics: 87
CoverArt: 122
Medals: 2
Wile E. Coyote Genius 2017 (1)Showdown Alienmem def Jamshedt (1)

Gone Girl (2014)

Postby ctaulbee » Mar Sun 25, 2018 12:54 pm

Gone Girl (2014)

Directed by David Fincher and based upon the global bestseller by Gillian Flynn - Gone Girl unearths the secrets at the heart of a modern marriage. On the occasion of his fifth wedding anniversary, Nick Dunne (Ben Affleck) reports that his beautiful wife, Amy (Rosamund Pike), has gone missing. Under pressure from the police and a growing media frenzy, Nick's portrait of a blissful union begins to crumble. Soon his lies, deceits and strange behavior have everyone asking the same dark question: Did Nick Dunne kill his wife?

Rating: R (for a scene of bloody violence, some strong sexual content/nudity, and language)
   Genre: Drama, Mystery & Suspense
   Directed By: David Fincher
   Written By: Gillian Flynn
   Cast: Ben Affleck, Rosamund Pike, Tyler Perry, Neil Patrick Harris, David Clennon and  Carrie Coon
   Runtime:145 minutes
   Studio: 20th Century Fox

There are many aspects of Gone Girl that I would love to praise in this, but I can’t because it either involves spoilers or would be a dead giveaway to some critical plot points because it's full of fun twists and turns.

Gone Girl constantly wants to keep you guessing, meaning that there are shocking new developments in the story roughly every few minutes. In doing so however, the narrative often becomes ridiculous and full of events that aren’t very plausible, often involving over-exaggerated characters that go so far it’s hard to see the story as anything but silly, yet at the same time the implausibility of many events throughout the film are actually masked by phenomenal performances from the entire cast,

It’s a fun movie to watch, but I certainly wouldn’t recommend it to a blossoming pair of lovebirds as a overview on relationships lol, one thing it does mirror however is the media’s trend of vilifying a person one minute, only to turn around and treat them like a victim the next minute if it helps them or their ratings.

I give it three stars for being fun to watch

EFX Rating30 stars
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
My Gallery  •  Please leave a vote and short comment if you download my work, thanks.  •  My Criterion Collection
ctaulbee
Super Administrator
Hand Me The Sledgehammer... I'll Fix It!
Topics: 1091
CoverArt: 3412
Resources: 4628
Medals: 56
2021 Cover of The Year (1)COTM March 2021 (1)COTM January 2021 (1)COTM November 2020 (1)
COTM July 2020 (1)COTM February 2020 (1)COTM January 2020 (1)COTM December 2019 (1)

Postby chouette » Mar Sun 25, 2018 11:26 pm

I watched "Downsizing" with hubby this afternoon. He fell asleep. No shocker there. I watched it till the end and now I'm thinking I should have snoozed with him, lol

Not the best movie of Matt Damon, far from it. I was disappointed as the movie seems to go in many different directions. Some I didn't see any logic into it. Anyway, not very impressed. I was expecting more out of this one.

EFX Rating10 stars
chouette
Site Moderator
EFX ShoutBox Champ 2022 (1)2023 January Cover Contest (1)15,000 Downloads (1)EFX ShoutBox Champ 2021 (1)
EFX ShoutBox Champ 2020 (1)EFX Camp Counselor 2020 (1)EFX ShoutBox Champ 2019 (1)Contributor Of The Year 2019 (1)

Postby chouette » Mar Sun 25, 2018 11:33 pm

My wife wanted to see this one based on previews she'd seen on cable. I agreed. Well, I kept nodding out through much of it, but the few portions I did see were completely boring. There was action & gore, but overall, it wasn't enough to redeem this futile exercise in fantasy sci-fi. I'm sure there are those who will acclaim this as the pinnacle of intellectual portrayal of the subject. I must disagree, in advance.

I'm not surprised you didn't like it Foggy as it's probably an art-house movie as I suspected. I'm glad you sacrificed yourself to confirm it, lol
chouette
Site Moderator

Postby Fogdude » Mar Mon 26, 2018 9:10 am

alienmem wrote:
I'm sure there are those who will acclaim this as the pinnacle of intellectual portrayal of the subject. I must disagree, in advance.

I am such a person  :)  

I actually had you in mind when I penned that.
Fogdude
VIP Subscriber
Mr Grumpy 2017 (1)

Postby chouette » Apr Sun 08, 2018 11:04 pm

I just finished watching the TV Series "Damnation" on Netflix. Although I'm not a fan of Western, I was strongly suggested to watch it and I probably agreed because Logan Marshall-Green was part of the cast. I'm glad I did because it was very good! Hopefully it will have a second season, but probably not according to what I read. Dang.

EFX Rating40 stars
chouette
Site Moderator

Postby chouette » May Thu 17, 2018 2:58 am

12 Strong (2018)

Great cast! Excellent movie! Loved it! :-$  <3

EFX Rating40 stars
chouette
Site Moderator

Postby VincentLupo » May Thu 17, 2018 3:02 am

I saw Unconditional last night. It was really good.
VincentLupo
The Panda Moderator
Topics: 7
CoverArt: 2
Medals: 3
EFX 5K Post Club (1)Pandapedia Official Founder (1)Official Panda Moderator (1)

Postby stardragon9 » May Wed 30, 2018 5:52 pm

Just got back from watching 'Solo - A Star Wars Story'
I thought it was about as good as 'Rogue One'
If I had to rate it, I would give it 2.5 out of 4 stars.

EFX Rating25 stars
stardragon9
Artisan
Topics: 53
CoverArt: 771
Resources: 4

Postby chouette » Jun Fri 15, 2018 1:58 am

Just finished watching "Tomb Raider". I liked it quite a bit. It might have been far-fetch all through the movie, but that was to be expected. Very entertaining with a lot of action.

EFX Rating35 stars
chouette
Site Moderator

Postby VincentLupo » Jun Fri 15, 2018 2:09 am

Been watching Cedar Cove. A good show that ended too soon.
VincentLupo
The Panda Moderator
Topics: 7
CoverArt: 2
Medals: 3
EFX 5K Post Club (1)Pandapedia Official Founder (1)Official Panda Moderator (1)

Postby chouette » Sep Sat 01, 2018 9:18 pm

Hubby wanted to watch a comedy so we settled on the new movie "Tag (2018)". I'm not a fan of comedy, but this one was good. Special features shows a bit about the real guys that this story was based on. Pretty cool.

EFX Rating30 stars
chouette
Site Moderator

Postby jamshedt » Sep Sun 02, 2018 6:17 am

Just finished watching The siege of Jadotville. Love movies based on actual facts.
EFX Rating30 stars
jamshedt
Exclusive Resident
Your Desthpicable
Topics: 65
CoverArt: 2221
Occupation: Just a regular guy trying to break the fourth wall !!
Medals: 14
2023 July Cover Contest (1)2021 Best Loser Cover Contest (1)2020 November Cover Contest (1)2020 July Cover Contest (1)
2019 Best Loser Cover Contest (1)2018 October Cover Contest (1)2018 Best Loser Cover Contest (1)2017 Design Merit Contest (1)

Postby chouette » Sep Wed 05, 2018 12:43 am

I finally finished watching the first season of "Sneaky Pete". I knew I would like it because of the cast and storyline. As usual, Giovanni Ribisi is absolutely amazing!

The series is about a con man on the run from a vicious gangster and taking cover by assuming the identity of his prison cellmate, Pete. That threatens to drag him into a world just as dangerous as the one he's trying to escape.

Great series!

EFX Rating40 stars
chouette
Site Moderator

Postby RRJR84 » Sep Tue 18, 2018 7:39 am

Downsizing (2018)
EFX Rating0 stars

i thought it was just a dull movie overall , it looked like it could be fun but really it was a depressing boring movie.

Tag (2018)
EFX Rating40 stars

Hands down fumiest and best comedy i watched all year, loved it and laughed all the way.

Game Night (2018)

EFX Rating25 stars

Didn't live up to my expectations and really wasn't all that funny at all

Father Figures (2018)

EFX Rating30 stars

Another Comedy that didn't live up to my expectations it had funny moments but over all wasn't that funny either

Blockers (2018)

EFX Rating30 stars

Was good but wasn't great, so far i haven't seen a lot of great comedy this year. The Concept is funny but the movie just couldn't pull it off all the way.
RRJR84
Designer
The Cartoon covers Guy
Topic author
Topics: 88
CoverArt: 881
Resources: 1
Showdown RRJR84 def TheDude (1)

PreviousNext