Current Contest Banner

EFX Subscriptions

The Slippery Soapbox

You have opinions to share and bizarre questions to ask, this is the place for discussions that don't fit any other forum section.

Re: The Last Movie Or TV Show You Watched Rating & Review

Postby alienmem » Dec Mon 11, 2017 6:04 pm

The Last show I saw was The Deuce and it was awesome!
alienmem
VIP Subscriber
I'm in a transitional period
Topics: 87
CoverArt: 122
Medals: 2
Wile E. Coyote Genius 2017 (1)Showdown Alienmem def Jamshedt (1)

Star Wars The Last Jedi (2017)

Postby ctaulbee » Dec Fri 15, 2017 10:51 pm

Star Wars The Last Jedi (2017)
EFX Rating35 stars

Watched it today, was much better than The Force Awakens, had a few things I disliked but overall it was pretty entertaining, I'm not going to get into it much to avoid any spoilers here other than to say it was worth the ticket price IMO

:)
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
My Gallery  •  Please leave a vote and short comment if you download my work, thanks.  •  My Criterion Collection
ctaulbee
Super Administrator
Hand Me The Sledgehammer... I'll Fix It!
Topics: 1091
CoverArt: 3412
Resources: 4628
Medals: 56
2021 Cover of The Year (1)COTM March 2021 (1)COTM January 2021 (1)COTM November 2020 (1)
COTM July 2020 (1)COTM February 2020 (1)COTM January 2020 (1)COTM December 2019 (1)

Postby Fogdude » Dec Mon 18, 2017 3:46 pm

Bad Blood (2017) TV Miniseries
EFX Rating35 stars

This was a good series. I was curious to see how Kim Coates did in it & he was quite good. It's not the typical mobster film, but it is gritty & realistic. Of course, they couldn't take much license with it, since it's based on true events, but I enjoyed it. My wife liked it less. She doesn't get much from other films like Goodfellas or Donnie Brasco, either, which I liked very much. I would have liked to see it expand on into another season, but I suppose they had to stop somewhere. I wasn't thrilled with the ending, but it came as no great surprise. Still, it was a bit unsatisfying. My wife thinks they left it a bit open so they could revive it, if it seemed economically viable. I'm not sure I agree with that.
Fogdude
VIP Subscriber
If you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
Topics: 153
Occupation: Retired IT guy. I was the one looking up from beneath your desk...
Medals: 1
Mr Grumpy 2017 (1)

Postby ctaulbee » Dec Sat 23, 2017 8:22 am

Bright (2017)
EFX Rating15 stars

Bright pulls off the dreadful trifecta of being a ridiculous, boring and confusing film all at once. It's basically a series of disconnected episodes that work fairly well individually as standalone action sequences but don't mesh together in any kind of meaningful way. In the end, it's the kind of vaguely intelligence insulting lackluster blockbuster that people would typically describe by saying "I'll just catch it on Netflix."

:D
My Gallery  •  Please leave a vote and short comment if you download my work, thanks.  •  My Criterion Collection
ctaulbee
Super Administrator
2021 Cover of The Year (1)COTM March 2021 (1)COTM January 2021 (1)COTM November 2020 (1)
COTM July 2020 (1)COTM February 2020 (1)COTM January 2020 (1)COTM December 2019 (1)

Postby chouette » Dec Sat 23, 2017 3:50 pm

Seems like a description for an art house movie CT. ;)

I watched 2 very good movies with the family this week.

American Assassins (2017) - I've come to really like Dylan O'Brien as an actor in both TV Series and movies. The movie has a lot action with a great cast including Michael Keaton. It has it's flaws like most movies, but it kept us entertained.

EFX Rating35 stars

Bon Cop Bad Cop 2 (2017) - The first one was pretty good and funny. This one was just as good and entertaining.

EFX Rating30 stars
chouette
Site Moderator
In my defense, I was left unsupervised.
Topics: 281
CoverArt: 6487
Resources: 281
Medals: 18
EFX ShoutBox Champ 2022 (1)2023 January Cover Contest (1)15,000 Downloads (1)EFX ShoutBox Champ 2021 (1)
EFX ShoutBox Champ 2020 (1)EFX Camp Counselor 2020 (1)EFX ShoutBox Champ 2019 (1)Contributor Of The Year 2019 (1)

Postby ctaulbee » Dec Sat 23, 2017 3:56 pm

chouette wrote:Seems like a description for an art house movie CT.

Haha one would think but no it's a Will Smith Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Action flick that just started streaming exclusively on Netflix, I think it's a Netflix production at any rate it's pretty sad beyond the gloss, the action and effects are spectacular but the story is goofy and the dialog is really dumb at times mostly due to them trying to make it funny when it's not lol.

ctaulbee
Super Administrator

Postby Fogdude » Dec Mon 25, 2017 8:25 am

Elementary (2012-) TV Series Season Two
EFX Rating35 stars

Just finished season two of this ongoing series. The characters are really starting to grow on me & I found myself actually eagerly anticipating new episodes each night. Yes, I'm bingeing them. It's turning out to be quite good. They've grown the characters well & I'm really enjoying the increasingly acerbic & sharp wit of Sherlock. He never balks at firing a stinging barb at someone he dislikes or scorns, which is virtually everyone. His painful honesty about his own superiority is amusing. I guess he reminds me of me. Looking forward to the coming seasons, but I'm going to clear my mental palate with a hiatus to check out a new series my wife voiced an interest in. That will be my next report.
Fogdude
VIP Subscriber
Mr Grumpy 2017 (1)

Postby ctaulbee » Dec Mon 25, 2017 3:47 pm

The Snowman (2017)
EFX Rating20 stars

Rating: R (for grisly images, violence, some language, sexuality and brief nudity)
Genre: Drama, Mystery & Suspense

The critics hated this film even though it features an all-star cast including Michael Fassbender, Rebecca Ferguson, Charlotte Gainsbourg and J.K. Simmons. I did not however hate it, I'm a fan of Tomas Alfredson's previous works  Let the Right One In (2008), Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (2011), true to form an alert, invested audience is expected, there is no dumbing down, or overt exposition in The Snowman. That said it tends to be more about the transfer of sins than it is a traditional psycho-thriller, many naysayers used "compared to the book" as a complaint point, rather than judging the film at face value, to me it has enough well-balanced elements to be a serviceable, watchable thriller.

ctaulbee
Super Administrator

Postby Fogdude » Dec Wed 27, 2017 7:49 am

Stranger Things (2017-) TV Series Season 1
EFX Rating35 stars

My wife was interested in this one based on the promos she saw on cable. We watched it over the past few days & I must admit it was better than I expected & not quite what the promos or the IMDB synopsis implied. Yes, it's focused around several young kids & they do play a focal role, but it was more involved & less infantile than most of that type. I had expected more of a Lifetime movie film style story than what was presented & it was better for it. To explain more would spoil it, so I'll leave it at that. Those who like Fantasy/SciFi should enjoy this, though it's not art house, so you artsy types, beware.
Fogdude
VIP Subscriber
Mr Grumpy 2017 (1)

Postby alienmem » Dec Wed 27, 2017 9:29 am

Blade Runner 2049
EFX Rating35 stars

Great film. Awesome film. Featuring Ana de Armas:

alienmem
VIP Subscriber

Postby RRJR84 » Dec Fri 29, 2017 10:37 pm

The Hero (2017)
EFX Rating5 stars

boring movie , thought it would be great cause of Sam Elliot boy was i wrong. it only gets a half star cause its Sam Elliot and Laura Prepon was in it as well

The Ranch (Netflix)
EFX Rating40 stars

hysterically show absolutely love it, the cast is amazing and it so great to former co stars from that 70's Show make appearances throughout the series
RRJR84
Designer
The Cartoon covers Guy
Topic author
Topics: 88
CoverArt: 881
Resources: 1
Showdown RRJR84 def TheDude (1)

Postby topmeasure » Dec Sat 30, 2017 8:22 am

Justice League (2017)

EFX Rating20 stars

Justice League felt like going through a list of specifications with no identity whatsoever. It's not a bad movie per se, it's just extremely dull. Of course there's nothing new in the photo department but that's to be expected, it's kind of an identity for the whole DCEU. I don't like it but hey, that's an artistic choice I won't criticize here, at least it's coherent. But some flaws are more crippling than that.

Every single characterization was a bit off and some of them felt like they were forced, especially Barry Allen. Still, the actors do the best they can with the material so it's not unbearable.
topmeasure
Forum Director
I Give You One Like!
Topics: 831
CoverArt: 675
Resources: 10
Medals: 6
EFX Forum Champ 2022 (1)EFX Forum Champ 2021 (1)EFX Froum Champ 2020 (1)EFX 5K Post Club (1)
EFX Froum Champ 2019 (1)EFX Froum Champ 2018 (1)

Blade Runner 2049 (2017)

Postby ctaulbee » Dec Sat 30, 2017 3:31 pm

Blade Runner 2049 (2017)

EFX Rating30 stars

Rated R for violence, some sexuality, nudity and language
Genre: Action & Adventure, Drama, Science Fiction & Fantasy

I'll preface everything by admitting I wasn't a big fan of the first Blade Runner film.

Visually the new one is outstanding to look at, the photography and art direction are the real stars here but the story could have been told in half of the run-time. The screenplay is pretty good despite being riddled with plot holes, the directing is good as is the CGI but the failure in editing hurts this film greatly, dragging it down to a mediocre level.

If you're a fan of the original then I think you will like this movie. It faithfully intermixes idea's and visuals from the first one and adds many of its own new idea's. Still for me it was kinda boring but at the same time I found it to be somewhat entertaining.

Did I mention I want one of those Joi hologram chicks...

ctaulbee
Super Administrator

Postby alienmem » Dec Sat 30, 2017 6:20 pm

Mr. Roosevelt EFX Rating40 stars
Mr._Roosevelt.jpg
Mr._Roosevelt.jpg (125.31 KiB) Viewed 2100 times
alienmem
VIP Subscriber

Postby RRJR84 » Jan Fri 12, 2018 1:27 am

Insidious: The Last key (2018)

EFX Rating40 stars

Fantastic prequel sequel to one of the best modern horror franchises. If this is the final movie it defiantly ended the series perfectly, if you guys haven't seen it i suggest checking it out if you enjoyed the others you won't be disappointed.
RRJR84
Designer
The Cartoon covers Guy
Topic author
Topics: 88
CoverArt: 881
Resources: 1
Showdown RRJR84 def TheDude (1)

Postby Fogdude » Jan Thu 18, 2018 1:13 pm

IT (2017)
EFX Rating5 stars
This was a major disappointment & I wasn't expecting much, to start with. My wife wanted to see it, so we did. Within 15 minutes, I was yawning & staring to check the clock. At 1:38 into it, she said, "You can stop this any time, now." That was a relief, but it was almost over, anyway. It just proves what I've always said... while King's books are always quite good, they have never been translated to the screen anywhere near as well as needed. I guess it's something to do with using our imaginations when reading that we don't when watching. There was no real horror, though they tried with the usual jump moments & scary imagery. It just didn't work, at all. I'm not sure that anything could. I won't say don't watch it, because nobody will pay any attention, but it's a complete waste of time, in our opinion.
Fogdude
VIP Subscriber
Mr Grumpy 2017 (1)

Postby Fogdude » Jan Fri 19, 2018 7:48 am

Blade Runner 2049 (2017)
EFX Rating5 stars
Well, this is the second recent release we've watched that was a total dud & a serious disappointment. Nothing technically wrong with it, just a poor, shallow story & nothing to commend about it. If you like pretty scenes of a dystopian future, backed by symphonic music, you'll probably like it. I fell asleep several times & missed nothing, according to my wife, who watched it throughout & had the same opinion of it. I liked the first one, with Harrison Ford. This one wasn't rescued by Ryan Gosling, in any way, at all. I'm going back to serials. Hollywood just can't manage to put out decent feature films any longer. I'll give one more a try, since my wife also wanted to see Dunkirk (2017). After that, it's back to serials, for us.
Fogdude
VIP Subscriber
Mr Grumpy 2017 (1)

Postby chouette » Jan Fri 19, 2018 11:38 pm

Fogdude wrote:Hollywood just can't manage to put out decent feature films any longer. I'll give one more a try, since my wife also wanted to see Dunkirk (2017). After that, it's back to serials, for us.

Totally agree with you Fog, reason why I stick to series. :D
chouette
Site Moderator
EFX ShoutBox Champ 2022 (1)2023 January Cover Contest (1)15,000 Downloads (1)EFX ShoutBox Champ 2021 (1)
EFX ShoutBox Champ 2020 (1)EFX Camp Counselor 2020 (1)EFX ShoutBox Champ 2019 (1)Contributor Of The Year 2019 (1)

Postby Fogdude » Jan Sat 20, 2018 7:06 am

Dunkirk (2017)
EFX Rating0 stars
OK. That's it. Three in a row. At least my wife made it through the 1st two, but last night, after 44mins, she said, "You can switch this to anything else, now." I had reached that point 10 minutes into this. I don't know what in the world the director was thinking. The story should have made for a great film, instead, what we got was disjointed, meaningless vignettes separated by empty spaces filled with irrelevant scenery & music. The dialogue was sparse, at best & did nothing to develop the characters or advance the story. I give up.
Fogdude
VIP Subscriber
Mr Grumpy 2017 (1)

Postby Fogdude » Jan Thu 25, 2018 12:20 pm

Scorpion (2014-) TV Series Season 1
EFX Rating25 stars

We just finished the 1st 6 episodes of season 1. We plan to finish this season & will likely continue through the ensuing ones, unless it totally goes off the rails, which is entirely possible. It's essentially a team oriented MacGyver type plot. A group of geniuses are continually called upon to thwart disasters of various types. On the plus side, it moves very fast. I like that. I don't get bored, though some of the devices & methods used are extreme stretches. Suspending rational thought helps. Still, it's entertaining, right up to the closing minutes of each episode, where the writers seem compelled to have everyone do a 'group hug'. Apparently, they think this 'humanizes' the otherwise coldly logical approach the leader of the group takes. Overall, it's pretty trivial, but as I pointed out, it moves fast, is filled with twists & turns & doesn't give you time to get terribly bored, so we'll continue, though we're breaking it up with other selections, doing 4 to 6 episodes at a time. Those of you who like art house offerings will hate this. Those who enjoy escapism will probably enjoy it.
Fogdude
VIP Subscriber
Mr Grumpy 2017 (1)

Thor: Ragnarok (2017)

Postby ctaulbee » Jan Thu 25, 2018 11:20 pm

Thor: Ragnarok (2017)

EFX Rating30 stars

Rated PG-13 for intense sequences of sci-fi violence and action, and brief suggestive material
Genre:  Action | Adventure | Comedy | Sci-Fi

Keywords: marvel cinematic universe | based on comic book | superhero | hulk | doctor strange | asgard | valkyrie

Thor: Ragnarok might rub uptight Marvel purists the wrong way, but for the less obsessive like me, it's every bit as silly and mocking as it ought to be. It's a pretty goofy movie really but a fun romp none the less that takes us to distant worlds, inhabited by stone monsters, valkyries, gods, giants and lets not forget the one and only Jeff Goldblum, who as everyone knows, is a god himself. Cate Blanchett's Hela is hella mean, hella snarky and hella striking, vamping it up as the evil villainess, glaring at us through smoky eye makeup and spitting vile dialogue at everyone.

Over all it's very different from the previous Thor films, of which I'm a big fan by the way, that said different is not necessarily bad, I found it a lot of fun but hardcore anti-comic types might not.

ctaulbee
Super Administrator

Postby Fogdude » Feb Thu 01, 2018 9:51 am

Britannia (2017-) TV Series Season 1
EFX Rating30 stars

Just finished this one last night. It's quite obscure & was released in Europe & Asia long before its Amazon Prime release just this past January 26th. I didn't know what to expect, but had cautious hopes. It's definitely not historically accurate, by any means. It's quite a hodgepodge of British & Roman historical names & figures woven into a story of some event that never took place by people who never really existed. Still, it was entertaining, though it included a lot of mysticism, magic & sorcery. It was essentially a low key Game of Thrones in 10 episodes. There is no indication that there will be any ensuing releases, so it may end up as a one shot offering, but the writers most definitely left it wide open for a continuation, if Sky decides to go that way. Reports are that it was well received, so it may get the backing needed to spawn another season. If it does, I'll be watching it.

If, for no other reason, this one is worth watching just for the pleasure of gazing upon Kelly Reilly throughout it:
Fogdude
VIP Subscriber
Mr Grumpy 2017 (1)

Postby bankska22 » Feb Thu 01, 2018 11:54 pm

I would have to say a series that I can't get enough of is ''The Orville'' Love this!!!!! :)  :)  :)  :)
bankska22
#1 Dallas Cowboy's Fan!
Topics: 974
CoverArt: 1914
Resources: 24
Medals: 10
COTM January 2023 (1)2021 April Cover Contest (1)2020 August Cover Contest (1)2020 May Cover Contest (1)
EFX 5K Post Club (1)2019 June Cover Contest (1)COTM March 2019 (1)2014 Action Label Design Comp (1)

Postby Nickaberdeen » Feb Fri 02, 2018 6:43 am

Fogdude wrote:Scorpion (2014-) TV Series Season 1
EFX Rating25 stars

i like the depth people go into when they tell us what they watched. personally i really liked this one. its one of favourite programs, it has got some issues that require overlooking but it is generally good at keeping your attention.

the program i watched most recently though was star trek discovery. ill be perfectly honest, i was pretty disappointed. i am a fan of previous versions (most of them) but this just didnt really work for me. it had a few things that put me straight from the start, the biggest thing at first was that the Klingons had subtitles as opposed to speaking in english like previous versions and it went straight into big klingon scenes in the first couple of episodes, next was the cast, i was hoping to have a few charcters that i liked but there werent that many that were likeable but to be fair the rest did grow on me a little. but my biggest issue with it (and what caused me to stop watching it) was that it has gone down the round of spreading one large story over a whole season as opposed to previous star trek versions that were more of an individual story for each episode, personally i didnt like that because i wasnt that fussed with the big storyline they went for so didnt really care what happened which was the end of that for me.

i like that they attempted it but id probably go 2/5 for that one.

ps the theme tune was awful  :-l
Nickaberdeen
Exclusive Artist
Topics: 53
CoverArt: 314
2019 Rising Star Designer (1)

Postby chouette » Feb Fri 02, 2018 10:08 pm

I watched the movie "Marshall" with a friend this week and loved it! Even though Chadwick Boseman is the main character, and did an amazing job, I believe Sterling K. Brown was even better!

EFX Rating35 stars
chouette
Site Moderator

PreviousNext