Current Contest Banner

EFX Subscriptions

News Bits & Rumors

Movie and TV Related News Items and Rumors.

The Highest-Grossing Movies

Postby chouette » May Thu 11, 2017 2:18 am

The 2017 box office is off to a promising start, with films like “Logan” and “Beauty and the Beast” bringing in big bucks. As of April 4, total domestic box office revenue stands at a whopping $2.14 billion.

Even so, the heaviest hitters are likely to come toward the end of the year. “Justice League” is scheduled for a Nov. 17 release, and the highly-anticipated “Star Wars: The Last Jedi” will be released on Dec. 15. Both of those films are poised to dominate the 2017 box office. But will they become some of the top-grossing films ever?

Only eight movies have grossed more than $1 billion (inflation-adjusted) at the domestic office, all of which were released before the 21st century. As expected, the ranking is riddled with franchises, sequels and big-budget blockbusters — perhaps none as successful as the Star Wars franchise. All eight Star Wars films make the list, from the original 1977 movie to 2016’s “Rogue One.”

To name a few other high-grossing sequel big-budget movies – The Hunger Games, Back to the Future, The Lord of the Rings, Pirates of the Carribbean and a few Batman movies.

The #1 highest-grossing movie ever was “Gone with the Wind” (1939) - U.S. box office (inflation-adjusted): $1,747,686,000 – It was followed by "The Sound of Music" (1965) - U.S. box office (inflation-adjusted): $1,231,893,000 – And followed by "E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial" (1982) - U.S. box office (inflation-adjusted): $1,227,040,000

Unfortunately, I didn’t find any Star Trek movies in that long list… Booooooo! lol
chouette
Site Moderator
In my defense, I was left unsupervised.
Topic author
Topics: 281
CoverArt: 6487
Resources: 281
Medals: 18
EFX ShoutBox Champ 2022 (1)2023 January Cover Contest (1)15,000 Downloads (1)EFX ShoutBox Champ 2021 (1)
EFX ShoutBox Champ 2020 (1)EFX Camp Counselor 2020 (1)EFX ShoutBox Champ 2019 (1)Contributor Of The Year 2019 (1)

Re: The Highest-Grossing Movies

Postby ctaulbee » May Thu 11, 2017 9:12 am

"Adjusted for inflation" are made up numbers (could be anything based on who made them up), those films never actually made that much money, that's a wild guess of how much they "might" have made, if they were released today... lmao.

The real Box Office top money makers are the ones who actually made real money and they would be these.

#1 Avatar                                              Fox         $2,788.0         $760.5
#2 Titanic                                              Par.         $2,186.8         $658.7
#3 Star Wars: The Force Awakens         BV         $2,068.2         $936.7

First number is the Worldwide take and the second is the domestic gross they "actually" took in lol.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
My Gallery  •  Please leave a vote and short comment if you download my work, thanks.  •  My Criterion Collection
ctaulbee
Super Administrator
Hand Me The Sledgehammer... I'll Fix It!
Topics: 1091
CoverArt: 3412
Resources: 4628
Medals: 56
2021 Cover of The Year (1)COTM March 2021 (1)COTM January 2021 (1)COTM November 2020 (1)
COTM July 2020 (1)COTM February 2020 (1)COTM January 2020 (1)COTM December 2019 (1)

Postby Fogdude » May Thu 11, 2017 11:07 am

Not to put too fine a point on it, but I used to write financial planning & analysis software. Adjusted for Inflation is a perfectly valid number if it's based on the original dollars vs today's value of that same number of dollars. It's the only rational way to compare dollar amounts outside the range of just a few years. Adjusted for Inflation simply means you calculate the Present Value (PV) of the dollars from an earlier period, based on the known inflation of those dollars between that time & now. Depending on how you look at it, it's the Future Value (FV) of those dollars, looking forward to today, or the PV, looking back from now to then. It can be somewhat 'subjective if you're not using a standardized, accepted, inflation value, from a reliable, known, authoritative source. Many government sources are unreliable as they are highly politicized & change from administration to administration. Also, calculating worldwide earnings becomes very complex, given the variety of monetary systems. Still, I don't see it as invalid, on its face. It's interesting & the only fair basis for real comparison I can think of, as simple dollar amounts become meaningless, the farther apart they become, over time.
Fogdude
VIP Subscriber
If you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
Topics: 153
Occupation: Retired IT guy. I was the one looking up from beneath your desk...
Medals: 1
Mr Grumpy 2017 (1)

Postby Jazzy » May Thu 11, 2017 11:55 am

Fogdude wrote:Not to put too fine a point on it, but I used to write financial planning & analysis software. Adjusted for Inflation is a perfectly valid number if it's based on the original dollars vs today's value of that same number of dollars. It's the only rational way to compare dollar amounts outside the range of just a few years. Adjusted for Inflation simply means you calculate the Present Value (PV) of the dollars from an earlier period, based on the known inflation of those dollars between that time & now. Depending on how you look at it, it's the Future Value (FV) of those dollars, looking forward to today, or the PV, looking back from now to then. It can be somewhat 'subjective if you're not using a standardized, accepted, inflation value, from a reliable, known, authoritative source. Many government sources are unreliable as they are highly politicized & change from administration to administration. Also, calculating worldwide earnings becomes very complex, given the variety of monetary systems. Still, I don't see it as invalid, on its face. It's interesting & the only fair basis for real comparison I can think of, as simple dollar amounts become meaningless, the farther apart they become, over time.

:duh; Is that the title of a movie ?????
Jazzy
Administrator
It must be 5 O'clock somewhere on this planet....Beer Time!
Topics: 526
CoverArt: 885
Resources: 75
Medals: 3
EFX 5K Post Club (1)2016 Design Merit Contest (1)

Postby Fogdude » May Thu 11, 2017 11:56 am

Yes. The alternative title is, "How to bore the crap out of Jazzy in 200 words or less". :D
Fogdude
VIP Subscriber
Mr Grumpy 2017 (1)

Postby ctaulbee » May Thu 11, 2017 12:01 pm

I'm well aware of what "Adjusted for Inflation" means, it still does not change the fact they are made up numbers, no matter how well it's done it's still not a real number.

I think it would be foolish to think Gone With The Wind for example would make 1.7B domestically if it were released today, this weekend, do you think it would?

There are only 30 movies in history that even made a billion dollars worldwide (none of them are dramas lmao).

No film has ever made a billion dollars domestically much less two billion lol.

Even Avatar the most popular box office film of all time only did 760M domestically.

But we are to believe the adjusted gross of Gone With The Wind could go near three times the highest ever to near 2 billion, that is laughable on any scale you might choose.
My Gallery  •  Please leave a vote and short comment if you download my work, thanks.  •  My Criterion Collection
ctaulbee
Super Administrator
2021 Cover of The Year (1)COTM March 2021 (1)COTM January 2021 (1)COTM November 2020 (1)
COTM July 2020 (1)COTM February 2020 (1)COTM January 2020 (1)COTM December 2019 (1)

Postby Fogdude » May Thu 11, 2017 12:15 pm

No, that's not the point at all. I never said it would make that much today. The whole point is relative comparison. You can't compare the value of a dollar back then to the value of a dollar today unless you make some rational adjustment for inflation. A dollar back then was FAR more valuable than it is today. In it's day, relatively speaking, Gone With the Wind made the EQUIVALENT of what a film making billions today would. The people paying for the tickets back then paid a LOT more, in buying power, for a ticket then, than we do today, though the actual dollar number is far higher today than it was back then. I'm simply saying that to disregard that disparity is to relegate any film done more than 5 years ago to obscurity because the absolute number of dollars paid for it by the viewing public, at that time, can't be matched today. That is much less reasonable than trying to account for the difference in the economic reality of that time compared to now & the impact the film had on the market, in its time, in my opinion.
Fogdude
VIP Subscriber
Mr Grumpy 2017 (1)

Postby ctaulbee » May Thu 11, 2017 12:47 pm

That is still the same thing you been saying, the logic is sound I'm not disagreeing with that as I said I know what Adjusted for Inflation means but thanks for telling me twice now.

The "application" in this case is what is silly to say the least, it's not even reasonable, that is the part you are yet to address in these posts, you seem stuck on explaining what Adjusted for Inflation is vs this actual use of it in this specific case.

Here is where I really hang up, on that same list the Owlette is using they have Snow White at half what Gone With The Wind has "Adjusted" yet it was older and made near the same real dollars, you see the problem with that?

Gone with the Wind (1939) - Adjusted dollars $1,786,074,500 - Real dollars $198,676,459

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937) - Adjusted dollars $963,560,000 - Real dollars $184,925,486

So was money that different (in the wrong direction I might add) in just two years?

Surely you can see the silliness of this list, it has clearly been created to serve a purpose what that is who knows.
ctaulbee
Super Administrator

Postby chouette » May Thu 11, 2017 1:30 pm

Hey, don't shoot the messenger, lol - You guys crack me up! I'm sure Jazzy is bored to death by now, although he probably gave up on the whole thing, lol
chouette
Site Moderator
Topic author
EFX ShoutBox Champ 2022 (1)2023 January Cover Contest (1)15,000 Downloads (1)EFX ShoutBox Champ 2021 (1)
EFX ShoutBox Champ 2020 (1)EFX Camp Counselor 2020 (1)EFX ShoutBox Champ 2019 (1)Contributor Of The Year 2019 (1)

Postby ctaulbee » May Thu 11, 2017 1:36 pm

I just like to argue with Foggy :D
ctaulbee
Super Administrator

Postby Fogdude » May Thu 11, 2017 1:59 pm

:bad07:
Fogdude
VIP Subscriber
Mr Grumpy 2017 (1)

Postby Jazzy » May Thu 11, 2017 2:24 pm

ctaulbee wrote:I just like to argue with Foggy :D

:whathesaid:
Jazzy
Administrator

Postby VincentLupo » May Thu 11, 2017 8:32 pm

Who cares about "Gone with the Wind".....It didn't even have a panda in it.
VincentLupo
The Panda Moderator
Topics: 7
CoverArt: 2
EFX 5K Post Club (1)Pandapedia Official Founder (1)Official Panda Moderator (1)

Postby ctaulbee » May Thu 11, 2017 8:44 pm

VincentLupo wrote:Who cares about "Gone with the Wind".....It didn't even have a panda in it.

ctaulbee
Super Administrator

Postby Jazzy » May Thu 11, 2017 9:03 pm

VincentLupo wrote:Who cares about "Gone with the Wind".....It didn't even have a panda in it.

Is that the movie where the panda came out and we had winter for another 6 weeks ?????
Jazzy
Administrator

Postby chouette » May Fri 12, 2017 3:30 am

Jazzy wrote:

Is that the movie where the panda came out and we had winter for another 6 weeks ?????

:lol:
chouette
Site Moderator
Topic author

Postby alienmem » May Fri 12, 2017 2:38 pm

I have to side with Fog on this; and Ctaulbee as well. Of course if you look at the numbers..the actual numbers the final figures are the final figures. Avatar made 2 billion and Gone With the wind whatever in 39.

The thing is Ctaulbee is saying that Gone with the wind would never do that much money now. That's speculation. It might. It might not.
What if it was the othr way arounbd. What if Avatar was releaes in 39 against Gone with the wind? It certainly woudln't make the 2 billion it made now and most likely would be smashed by the numbers Gone With the Wind made back then.

These numbers, in matter of fact are just numbers. A movie can make a billion and still be a disaster if it cost more than that to market and what not. The thing boxoffice don't evaluate is the profit! That's what's important.

And "adjusted for inflation" is the only way to compare movies throughout the years. Objectively a movie will pass Avatar. It's just a matter of time. 100% certain it will. let it be a movie now or wait 10 years from now til the money inflates so a ticket is 50 or 60 dollars. back in 39 a ticket was probably 50 cents or less.

It's an endless debate...but a good one
alienmem
VIP Subscriber
I'm in a transitional period
Topics: 87
CoverArt: 122
Medals: 2
Wile E. Coyote Genius 2017 (1)Showdown Alienmem def Jamshedt (1)

Postby chouette » May Fri 12, 2017 3:23 pm

Absolutely agree with you Alien on all points. To be honest, I prefer a movie such as Avatar compared to a boring love story like "Gone with the Wind", lol - Mind you, I'm just speculating here as it looks like a love story, never seen the movie and have no intentions of seeing it. I just know it's a classic, although I have no clue why it rates so high. Like you say "an endless debate...but a good one".

:D
chouette
Site Moderator
Topic author

Postby ctaulbee » May Fri 12, 2017 3:44 pm

We are arguing about two different things here.

I never disagreed with the fact dollar values change, that is a fact, and if it were released today the number would be higher than it was in 1939, I'm well aware of that.

I'm just saying the estimates are stupid wrong even a non-math person should be able to see the absurdity of it based on real facts that being.

1. No romance/drama has ever made a 1 billion dollars in the whole world much less the USA alone and this list is claiming it could bring "possibly" bring in 1.7 billion in the US alone, totally bogus by anyone's math.

2. The most money any film has ever made in the USA alone is 760 Million and that people is well short and near one third of the 1.7 Billion they "speculate" a sappy film like Gone With The Wind could draw in today in the USA alone not world wide just the US.

It's ridiculous they even contradict their on math with number ten on that list, Snow White they are saying it would not top 1 billion, yet it is two years older and made only 7% less at the box office.

Yet they claim it's "inflation" number is only 5 times box when a film two years newer is getting inflated by 9 times box.

1937 - Snow White Seven Dwarfs (1937) - $184,925,486 times a inflation factor of 5 = $963,560,000
1939 - Gone with the Wind (1939) - $198,676,459 times a inflation factor of 9 = $1,786,074,500

Am I the only one who can see that is backwards math?

I mean is the inflation rate that much different in two years?

Are 1937 dollars not at least close to the same as 1939?

and should 1937 not be more anyway as it's older?

What it appears is who ever made this list wanted Gone With The Wind to be number one and facts were of low priority.

ctaulbee
Super Administrator

Postby chouette » May Fri 12, 2017 4:50 pm

You have an excellent point CT, and no, you are not alone to see the obvious. Without going too much off topic (although it's my topic, so that's that, lol), it reminds me of any documentaries made by Michael Moore. It's obvious that he's trying really hard to make you believe everything he dishes out and wants you to think like him. Unless you view them as pure entertainment, without taking anything too seriously, then it's fine. If you take anything he says for cash, then it's a problem, lol
chouette
Site Moderator
Topic author

Postby ctaulbee » May Fri 12, 2017 4:55 pm

Exactly, I never at anytime said that "inflation" was non-existent or that it could not be calculated to some degree of accuracy in most cases as has been insinuated now several times.

My post was on topic, that being I was simply addressing the fact "this list you posted" is very inaccurate, that is all.

Somehow that little point, got detoured into this whole other discussion of "how inflation works" and that it "can be calculated" which was supposed to I guess, justify the list numbers no matter how silly out of whack they were, lmao.

For the record I knew it was not your list, I've seen that list before and I am familiar with it, the whole thing not just the top few you posted.
ctaulbee
Super Administrator

Return to News Bits & Rumors