Current Contest Banner

EFX Subscriptions

News Bits & Rumors

Watchmen - R-rated Animated Film?

Movie and TV Related News Items and Rumors.

Watchmen - R-rated Animated Film?

Postby bankska22 » Apr Sat 15, 2017 6:59 pm

1.jpg
1.jpg (84.64 KiB) Viewed 88 times

It looks like Warner Bros. is going to be developing another adaptation of Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons' The Watchmen, except this time it will be an animated film. It's also said that the Watchmen film will be rated R and that it could be the first in a new series of more mature animated films from DC Animation based on various DC properties,

The new originated at Filmbuff, and it apparently leaked out in an online marketing survey that shows the studio is looking to gauge interest in an animated Watchmen feature. The top line of the survey question describes the film as “upcoming.”

Some of the other titles mentioned in the survey include Moore’s classic 1980s run on Swamp Thing; Batman's A Death In The Family; Batman: The Long Halloween and the series Gotham Academy. They also include Superman's ElseWorlds story Red Sun; and the video game-inspired Injustice. As far as the  DC’s Vertigo line goes there was Fables, Lucifer, Hellblazer, Preacher, and Sandman.

I hope this is all true! I'd love to see all of these get animated adaptations. DC has certainly found success with their animated film projects. They are currently doing a lot better than Marvel is in that aspect right now.

As many of you already know, Watchmen wouldn't be the first R-rated animated film that Warner Bros. has released. Their adaptation of The Killing Joke was slapped with that rating. It was met with a lot of mixed reviews, though. The R-rated comic book movie trend is in high swing right now with the success of Deadpool and Logan. It's not the R-rating that makes a film great, though. It all comes down to the story. If they show respect to the source material and tell a solid story, you can't lose no matter what the rating is.

I hope we do see an animated Watchman film! I loved what Zack Snyder did with his film and there was talk of a Watchmen TV series possibly being developed at HBO, but I guess that never panned out.  

What do you all think about an animated adaptation of Watchmen and some of the other titles that were mentioned? Are there any other animated adaptations that you'd like to see?
bankska22
#1 Dallas Cowboy's Fan!
Topic author
Topics: 904
CoverArt: 1055
Resources: 347
Medals: 3
2014 Action Label Design Comp (1)2014 Design Merit Contest (1)2012 Summer Blockbuster Cover (1)

Re: DC Animation: R-Rated Animated WATCHMEN Film

Postby Fogdude » Apr Sat 15, 2017 7:09 pm

I'm not really sure what it takes to get an animated film an R rating... language? I mean,. I saw Fritz the Cat back in... like... 1973. It was X rated & had a lot of language & graphic sex, BUT IT WAS A FRICKIN CARTOON! Not exactly titillating, but I guess an R rating would keep the pre-teen crowd out.
Fogdude
VIP Subscriber
If you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
Topics: 79
Occupation: Retired IT guy. I was the one looking up from beneath your desk...
Medals: 1
Mr Grumpy 2017 (1)

Postby ctaulbee » Apr Sat 15, 2017 8:00 pm

I did not care for Watchmen which means I'm sure this will have zero appeal to me.
You can find all my covers by clicking the spine image, if you download any please leave a comment or smiley, thanks
ctaulbee
Super Administrator
Hand Me The Sledgehammer... I'll Fix It!
Topics: 1027
CoverArt: 1812
Resources: 18051
Medals: 30
COTM July 2017 (1)2017 May Cover Contest (1)COTM March 2017 (1)COTM February 2017 (1)
2017 February Cover Contest (1)COTM December 2016 (1)COTM November 2016 (1)2016 June Cover Contest (1)

Postby bankska22 » Apr Sat 15, 2017 9:09 pm

I'm in!!!
bankska22
#1 Dallas Cowboy's Fan!
Topic author
2014 Action Label Design Comp (1)2014 Design Merit Contest (1)2012 Summer Blockbuster Cover (1)

Postby VincentLupo » Apr Sun 16, 2017 2:53 pm

I too was disappointed with the Watchmen film.  Also not a fan of the graphic novel.  I'll probably pass.
VincentLupo
The Panda Moderator
Topics: 6
CoverArt: 2
Medals: 1
Official Panda Moderator (1)

Re: Watchmen - R-rated Animated Film?

Postby chouette » Apr Mon 17, 2017 2:59 am

Yep, pass for me as well. Good luck with that one on your own Banks, lol
chouette
Owl Moderator
In my defense, I was left unsupervised.
Topics: 70
CoverArt: 606
Resources: 54
Medals: 4
Awesome 2017 (1)2017 Rising Star Designer (1)Showdown Chouette def Wrench (1)Royal Canadian Flying Mod (1)

Re: Watchmen - R-rated Animated Film?

Postby bankska22 » Apr Mon 17, 2017 4:38 am

lol Just me then!!!
bankska22
#1 Dallas Cowboy's Fan!
Topic author