Current Contest Banner

EFX Subscriptions

News Bits & Rumors

Movie and TV Related News Items and Rumors.

The Last of Us (Video Game 2013)

Postby bankska22 » Apr Sat 15, 2017 7:54 pm

1.jpg
1.jpg (95.33 KiB) Viewed 449 times

Back in 2014, it was officially announced that Sam Raimi would be developing a big-screen adaptation of the hit video game The Last of Us. Game of Thrones star Maise Williams was said to be attached to the project, and it looked like things were falling into place. Then earlier this year, the writer and director of the game, Neil Druckmann, who also wrote the script for the film, offered up some bad news:

"I know I said in an interview a while back we had a table read, got the script to a good place and it kind of entered development hell like these things tend to do. ... There hasn't been any work done on it in over a year and a half."

It doesn't sound like much has changed since then. IGN recently talked to Raimi about the project, and he gave an update explaining how things went down and what his involvement in the project is:

"Well, unfortunately that one -- when we went to Neil with Ghost House Pictures we were hoping to get the rights like we do any project and then we'd take it out and sell it but we'd control the rights. With this one he went to Sony -- who I have a very good relationship with -- but they have their own plans for it and I think Neil's plan for it -- I'm not trying to be political -- Neil's plan for it is not the same as Sony's. And because my company doesn't have the rights, I actually can't help him too much. Even though I'm one of the producers on it the way he set it up, he sold his rights to Sony, Sony hired me as a producer by chance, and I can't get the rights free for him so I'm not in the driver's seat and I can't tell you what Sony and Neil together will decide on. If they do move forward I'd love to help them again."

When pressed further about what his attachment to the project is, Raimi explained that for some reason Sony Pictures doesn't want to move forward with it, and he's not in a position to help push it forward:

"Yes, I'm attached to it. I'm not too sure what that means. Right now it's just sitting there. They don't want to move forward, and it's not my place to say why, and Neil, I think, is in a slight disagreement with them about how things should go so there's a standstill. And I don't have the power to move it."

That sucks. What's the point of being a producer on a film if there's nothing you can do to push it forward and make it happen. Isn't that one of the jobs of a producer? This is a project that Raimi was incredibly excited about doing, and now he's in a position where there's nothing he can really do to push it back into development.

I'm sure it will happen one day, but it doesn't look like it's going to be anytime soon.
bankska22
#1 Dallas Cowboy's Fan!
Topic author
Topics: 977
CoverArt: 1917
Resources: 24
Medals: 10
COTM January 2023 (1)2021 April Cover Contest (1)2020 August Cover Contest (1)2020 May Cover Contest (1)
EFX 5K Post Club (1)2019 June Cover Contest (1)COTM March 2019 (1)2014 Action Label Design Comp (1)

Re: THE LAST OF US

Postby Fogdude » Apr Sat 15, 2017 8:00 pm

I don't do video games, so I've never heard of this & have no idea what it might be about, but my experience with video game to movie productions hasn't been stellar, with the exceptions of Resident Evil and... ?
Fogdude
VIP Subscriber
If you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
Topics: 153
Occupation: Retired IT guy. I was the one looking up from beneath your desk...
Medals: 1
Mr Grumpy 2017 (1)

Postby bankska22 » Apr Sat 15, 2017 10:16 pm

I would watch this. We shall see!!!!
bankska22
#1 Dallas Cowboy's Fan!
Topic author
COTM January 2023 (1)2021 April Cover Contest (1)2020 August Cover Contest (1)2020 May Cover Contest (1)
EFX 5K Post Club (1)2019 June Cover Contest (1)COTM March 2019 (1)2014 Action Label Design Comp (1)

Postby VincentLupo » Apr Sun 16, 2017 4:08 pm

This is one of the best video game stories I've had the pleasure to see or play.  I would really like to see this one get made as long as it doesn't end up in the hand of Uwe Boll.  What would be even better is a sequel to the game.
VincentLupo
The Panda Moderator
Topics: 7
CoverArt: 2
Medals: 3
EFX 5K Post Club (1)Pandapedia Official Founder (1)Official Panda Moderator (1)

Postby ctaulbee » Apr Sun 16, 2017 4:21 pm

VincentLupo wrote:I would really like to see this one get made as long as it doesn't end up in the hand of Uwe Boll...

You can say that again, he nearly ruined the whole video game to movie movement by himself with such memorable classics as House of The Dead, Alone in the Dark and Far Cry to name but a few of his cinematic atrocities.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
My Gallery  •  Please leave a vote and short comment if you download my work, thanks.  •  My Criterion Collection
ctaulbee
Super Administrator
Hand Me The Sledgehammer... I'll Fix It!
Topics: 1091
CoverArt: 3412
Resources: 4628
Medals: 56
2021 Cover of The Year (1)COTM March 2021 (1)COTM January 2021 (1)COTM November 2020 (1)
COTM July 2020 (1)COTM February 2020 (1)COTM January 2020 (1)COTM December 2019 (1)

Postby Fogdude » Apr Sun 16, 2017 4:59 pm

There was a time when I would even venture to try a Uwe Bolle film, but after 3 or 4, I gave up. His name is an automatic no, for me.
Fogdude
VIP Subscriber
Mr Grumpy 2017 (1)

Postby chouette » Apr Sun 16, 2017 7:59 pm

I have no clue who is Uwe Bolle and what this is all about, so I guess it's a pass... :roll  :D
chouette
Site Moderator
In my defense, I was left unsupervised.
Topics: 281
CoverArt: 6499
Resources: 284
Medals: 18
EFX ShoutBox Champ 2022 (1)2023 January Cover Contest (1)15,000 Downloads (1)EFX ShoutBox Champ 2021 (1)
EFX ShoutBox Champ 2020 (1)EFX Camp Counselor 2020 (1)EFX ShoutBox Champ 2019 (1)Contributor Of The Year 2019 (1)

Postby Fogdude » Apr Sun 16, 2017 8:12 pm

chouette wrote:I have no clue who is Uwe Bolle and what this is all about, so I guess it's a pass... :roll  :D

Uwe Bolle is a director/producer notorious for his low end films, usually horror & thrillers. He has nothing to do with the film being discussed here. Sorry we slid a little off topic. Check the initial post for what this whole thing started as.
Fogdude
VIP Subscriber
Mr Grumpy 2017 (1)

Postby bankska22 » Apr Sun 16, 2017 10:40 pm

chouette wrote:I have no clue who is Uwe Bolle and what this is all about, so I guess it's a pass... :roll  :D

Thought I was the only one who never heard of this guy.  :)
bankska22
#1 Dallas Cowboy's Fan!
Topic author

Re: The Last of Us (Video Game 2013)

Postby Fogdude » Apr Sun 16, 2017 11:21 pm

You're obviously not watching the right films, Banks! Oh, wait... he doesn't do animé!!!
:hehe:
Fogdude
VIP Subscriber
Mr Grumpy 2017 (1)