Current Contest Banner

EFX Subscriptions

News Bits & Rumors

Movie and TV Related News Items and Rumors.

You have to be logged in to vote on or view Polls

The Matrix Reboot

Postby 2getted » Mar Thu 16, 2017 11:46 pm

Seriously? Really? I mean c'mon...

Well I guess they rebooted Mad Max and that was pretty cool and they've also rebooted Blade Runner. Godzilla has been rebooted numerous times to varying degrees of success and Star Wars has been successfully rebooted with Rouge One and The Force Awakens (although some argue that this was just a remake). So while there's money to be made on an existing and established storyline then these will keep happening.

Thankfully though this doesn't look like it is going to be a remake but instead a reboot or even possibly a spin off - whatever that turns out to be.

Now from what I can gather Keanu Reeves has reportedly said that he would only be interested if the Wachowskis were involved:
Keanu in Yahoo Movies wrote:"They would have to write it and direct it. And then we'd see what the story is, but yeah, I dunno, that'd be weird, but why not?"

Now it seems that the Wachowski siblings are not involved so...
But Zak Penn is in talks to write a treatment for this. He did The Avengers, and the X-Men films X2 and The Last Stand.

Apparently Michael B. Jordan who rebooted the Rocky series with the movie Creed is to star. No idea if he is to replace Neo in a remake (bad idea), or to act as a protégé of Neo (like with Rocky in Creed), or in a totally new spin off. One rumour going around is that he will play the role of a young Morpheus - hence the spin off idea.

Here's an interesting take on the whole idea...

2getted
VIP Subscriber
Topic author
Topics: 16
CoverArt: 17

Re: The Matrix Reboot

Postby VincentLupo » Mar Fri 17, 2017 12:27 am

I was never all that impressed with the first trilogy.
VincentLupo
The Panda Moderator
Topics: 7
CoverArt: 2
Medals: 3
EFX 5K Post Club (1)Pandapedia Official Founder (1)Official Panda Moderator (1)

Postby ctaulbee » Mar Fri 17, 2017 12:53 am

I have little faith in any new film added to this series regardless of who makes it being very appealing.

I'm a huge fan of the series and watch the films regularly, the story was pretty complete, they really cover the ins and outs of AI and the possibility of how that code structure could be depicted in a humanly relatable way. I don't see where they left much room to expand that without backtracking or resorting to a re-telling the same things in perhaps new ways, neither of which would interest me.

About the only new place they have left to go, is the one they touched on very slightly in the trilogy, that being "virtual machines" or the "machines within machines" concept which means The Matrix is actually layers of AI reality, the question then becomes how many layers deep are you from actual reality?

To simplify that some; for example one "could" say the entire "Matrix Trilogy" was contained in a "program sub-routine" designed to handle the idea of "control" as a "function" via a variable called "choice", which relates to the main theme of the film and all they really did was "bumble around inside" that one program branch and no one was ever truly "unplugged" from anything... just made to think they were but were in truth just in a deeper area of the main code the entire time, meaning no one escaped from anything.

Inception tried that angle in dreams with IMO limited success I don't see AI being any easier to sell it in myself, guess we will just have to wait and see.

I think even as well as it is told, it's still a stretch for non-programmers to grasp the entire concept of the films anyway, not to any real degree of understanding as far as "the why" behind much of it.

They did a good job of making it watchable though, even if the technical aspects of it are not directly relatable to non-nerds lol.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
My Gallery  •  Please leave a vote and short comment if you download my work, thanks.  •  My Criterion Collection
ctaulbee
Super Administrator
Hand Me The Sledgehammer... I'll Fix It!
Topics: 1091
CoverArt: 3412
Resources: 4628
Medals: 56
2021 Cover of The Year (1)COTM March 2021 (1)COTM January 2021 (1)COTM November 2020 (1)
COTM July 2020 (1)COTM February 2020 (1)COTM January 2020 (1)COTM December 2019 (1)

Postby chouette » Mar Fri 17, 2017 2:39 am

I've seen the trilogy many times and enjoyed them, or maybe I just enjoyed Keanu Reeves, lol

CT might be correct though, you almost need to be a nerd to understand the whole concept, and quite frankly CT, you are not helping with that description of what is the Matrix, even when you try to simplify it, LOL

Now, would I watch another one if they ever make it? Yessiry! I'll simply invite my nurdy son to watch it with me and he can explain the whole movie just like he did with all the other three!

:-O
chouette
Site Moderator
In my defense, I was left unsupervised.
Topics: 281
CoverArt: 6499
Resources: 284
Medals: 18
EFX ShoutBox Champ 2022 (1)2023 January Cover Contest (1)15,000 Downloads (1)EFX ShoutBox Champ 2021 (1)
EFX ShoutBox Champ 2020 (1)EFX Camp Counselor 2020 (1)EFX ShoutBox Champ 2019 (1)Contributor Of The Year 2019 (1)

Postby Fogdude » Mar Fri 17, 2017 7:22 am

I'll have to admit that the Matrix series was another of those that I didn't fully appreciate the first time I watched it. There are many films that hit me that way, I guess because I don't watch films with an analytic eye. I just watch them to escape reality for a bit, like most, I suspect. I also fall asleep in them if they can't keep my attention. That's what happened with the first Matrix film. But, I tried it again, months later &, as CT pointed out, the AI aspect of it fully sunk in & I was soon captivated. I'll give a new one a shot, but like others, I'm not holding my breath.
:-O
Fogdude
VIP Subscriber
If you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
Topics: 153
Occupation: Retired IT guy. I was the one looking up from beneath your desk...
Medals: 1
Mr Grumpy 2017 (1)

Postby bankska22 » Mar Sat 18, 2017 7:31 pm

If it is good, I'm in. Though I think it's a bit too early for a reboot.
bankska22
#1 Dallas Cowboy's Fan!
Topics: 977
CoverArt: 1917
Resources: 24
Medals: 10
COTM January 2023 (1)2021 April Cover Contest (1)2020 August Cover Contest (1)2020 May Cover Contest (1)
EFX 5K Post Club (1)2019 June Cover Contest (1)COTM March 2019 (1)2014 Action Label Design Comp (1)

Return to News Bits & Rumors