Current Contest Banner

EFX Subscriptions

News Bits & Rumors

Movie and TV Related News Items and Rumors.

Logan/ R Rating?

Postby bankska22 » Mar Mon 06, 2017 3:49 am

1.jpg
1.jpg (89.18 KiB) Viewed 439 times

Fans have been wanting to see a hardcore version Wolverine since Fox started making the X-Men films. We finally got it with Logan and fans showed up in droves to finally see Wolverine get crazy violent and draw some real blood.

Director James Mangold and Hugh Jackman got to make the Wolverine movie they wanted to make. A movie that the studio initially was worried about because of it's the dark tone and they actually thought that it was going to be boring!? This just tells you that many of the studio executives don't know their audience and what they want.

Well, this weekend Logan pulled in over $83.3 million domestically and it made a near-record $152.5 million overseas. Altogether, Logan exploded with $237.8 million globally and you can bet that those studio executives who had issues with the movie are all patting each other on the back now and celebrating how smart they are and how good of a job they did. Of course, they are going to want to take credit for the success, but we all know that credit goes to Jackman, Mangold, and their creative team.

So what does this mean for R-rated comic book movies? That same question was raised after Deadpool came out, but some people thought that its success was just a fluke, but no we know that it's more than that! Fox has made two great successful R-rated comic book movies! Fox, who has had their fair share of mediocre comic book film is now leading the way for R-rated comic book films that stay true to the characters in the comics. The way that the fans want to see their favorite characters portrayed, not the watered down PG-13 versions that we've been getting.

We know that Marvel will never do a rated R movie with Disney and I doubt Warner Bros. will ever do it with the DC films, but Fox has now cornered that R-rated comic book movie market and I think they should run with it! I think it's very possible that one day we could see an R-rated X-Men movie. I definitely don't think they'll have any issues with making an R-rated X-Force film at this point. I don't really care what the rating is as long as they are true to the characters that they are bringing to the big screen.

The studio has now seen the real power of giving the comic book fans the films that they want and I don't think they're going to stop at this point. They'd be stupid if they did! What do you think about all this? Do you think Fox should run with the R rated comic book films?
bankska22
#1 Dallas Cowboy's Fan!
Topic author
Topics: 977
CoverArt: 1917
Resources: 24
Medals: 10
COTM January 2023 (1)2021 April Cover Contest (1)2020 August Cover Contest (1)2020 May Cover Contest (1)
EFX 5K Post Club (1)2019 June Cover Contest (1)COTM March 2019 (1)2014 Action Label Design Comp (1)

Re: Logan/ R Rating?

Postby 2getted » Mar Mon 06, 2017 5:27 am

The whole rating system has had such a tumultuous past. The rules are ambiguous and way too subjective. I've heard of so many stories from directors of how they "manipulate" the ratings review process to get the rating they want or how they had to change small details to suit the reviewers. I mean, seriously, how can even just the use or repeated use of a word increase your rating, yet mild violence won't. Of course sexual content should be rated but it should be based on what is age appropriate for the type of film.

Grrr, sorry, I just had to vent. It just annoys me when a few individual opinions are allowed to have an impact on the majority.  :deadhorse:

Anyway, I'm all for the way Fox has done this. It should be up to me to choose what I want to see but for children I'm not sure how you would go about it. Parents in general are seemingly reluctant to do much and the theatres don't seem to enforce the ratings anyway. :-<
2getted
VIP Subscriber
Topics: 16
CoverArt: 17

Postby Fogdude » Mar Mon 06, 2017 8:23 am

Just because they're 'comic books' doesn't mean they're for little children. Otherwise, why did they start referring to them as graphic novels? Good for Fox. I hope they stay with it. If anything can revive & give new life to the flagging popularity of this genre, this should do it.
Fogdude
VIP Subscriber
If you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
Topics: 153
Occupation: Retired IT guy. I was the one looking up from beneath your desk...
Medals: 1
Mr Grumpy 2017 (1)

Postby VincentLupo » Mar Tue 07, 2017 1:17 am

I really don't care what the rating is so long as the story is good.
VincentLupo
The Panda Moderator
Topics: 7
CoverArt: 2
Medals: 3
EFX 5K Post Club (1)Pandapedia Official Founder (1)Official Panda Moderator (1)

Postby bankska22 » Mar Tue 07, 2017 3:43 am

Agreed!!!!
bankska22
#1 Dallas Cowboy's Fan!
Topic author
Topics: 977
CoverArt: 1917
Resources: 24
Medals: 10
COTM January 2023 (1)2021 April Cover Contest (1)2020 August Cover Contest (1)2020 May Cover Contest (1)
EFX 5K Post Club (1)2019 June Cover Contest (1)COTM March 2019 (1)2014 Action Label Design Comp (1)

Postby Fogdude » Mar Tue 07, 2017 9:33 am

I wasn't pushing the R rating, I was simply saying that if doing the film in a way that keeps it true to the character & flavor of the original means going to an R rating, then that's what should be done.
Fogdude
VIP Subscriber
If you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
Topics: 153
Occupation: Retired IT guy. I was the one looking up from beneath your desk...
Medals: 1
Mr Grumpy 2017 (1)

Return to News Bits & Rumors