Current Contest Banner

EFX Subscriptions

The Slippery Soapbox

You have opinions to share and bizarre questions to ask, this is the place for discussions that don't fit any other forum section.

Re: The Last Movie Or TV Show You Watched Rating & Review

Postby alienmem » Oct Wed 25, 2017 5:20 pm

Columbus (2017)
EFX Rating40 stars

Just saw one of the great films of 2017. A complete and stunning masterpiece.

I dunno if you've heard of it MAXIMUM rating and it's just phenomenal. The main actress Haley Lu Richardson is phenomenal in the movie, as is Justin Cho as well( yeah, the MILF guy from American Pie).
alienmem
VIP Subscriber
I'm in a transitional period
Topics: 87
CoverArt: 122
Medals: 2
Wile E. Coyote Genius 2017 (1)Showdown Alienmem def Jamshedt (1)

Postby Fogdude » Oct Fri 27, 2017 3:29 pm

Mindhunter (2017-) TV Series Season 1
EFX Rating35 stars

Just finished season one of this new series. It's a little slow paced & has no action, to speak of. It's a bit like an FBI procedural, but not a lot of crime scene gore or chasing bad guys, at all. It's essentially explaining how the serial killer profiling section of the FBI came about. I don't have any idea how historically accurate it may be, but watching as the elements come together as they develop their theories & try to come up with language to describe & explain what they learn is interesting. Some is a bit lame, in my opinion, so I'm not sure of its accuracy, but then, we ARE talking about a government bureaucracy, so who knows? If you're into things like Criminal Minds & The Blacklist, then you might find this interesting, though much lower key. BTW, my wife likes it a LOT more than do I. She'd give it 4 stars, I'm sure. That's why I gave it 3.5, because, personally, I'd give it 2.5 stars.
Fogdude
VIP Subscriber
If you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
Topics: 153
Occupation: Retired IT guy. I was the one looking up from beneath your desk...
Medals: 1
Mr Grumpy 2017 (1)

Postby Fogdude » Oct Sat 28, 2017 11:24 am

Atomic Blonde (2017)
EFX Rating20 stars

Finding ourselves between TV series, my wife & I decided we'd give this one a shot. We weren't holding our breaths because feature films have been unusually disappointing, of late. Well, we weren't bowled over. Charlize looked like 40 miles of bad road throughout the whole thing. There was action, but we found the story a bit thin & I nodded off at least 5 or 6 times. Once again, I know others here found this one to be entertaining & rated it highly. I guess old age has jaded me beyond repair.
Fogdude
VIP Subscriber
Mr Grumpy 2017 (1)

Postby RRJR84 » Oct Sat 28, 2017 1:39 pm

stardragon9 wrote:Just finished a Jaws marathon last night.

Jaws (1975)
EFX Rating40 stars A classic thriller that seems to get better with age.  <3  :-))

Jaws 2 (1978)
EFX Rating25 starsThe shark attacks were well done, but the town counsel deserved to get eaten.  :-(

Jaws 3D (1983)
EFX Rating15 stars I used to love this one as a kid.  Now the 3D is the only reason to watch this  :-!

Jaws the Revenge (1987)
EFX Rating0 stars What were they thinking?!?!  :-?

i personally love jaws the revenge, i hate part 3 and always skip it
RRJR84
Designer
The Cartoon covers Guy
Topic author
Topics: 88
CoverArt: 881
Resources: 1
Showdown RRJR84 def TheDude (1)

Postby ctaulbee » Oct Sat 28, 2017 4:22 pm

Fogdude wrote:Atomic Blonde (2017)
EFX Rating20 stars

Finding ourselves between TV series, my wife & I decided we'd give this one a shot. We weren't holding our breaths because feature films have been unusually disappointing, of late. Well, we weren't bowled over. Charlize looked like 40 miles of bad road throughout the whole thing. There was action, but we found the story a bit thin & I nodded off at least 5 or 6 times. Once again, I know others here found this one to be entertaining & rated it highly. I guess old age has jaded me beyond repair.

Once again I find myself in total agreement with Foggy's assessment.  8)
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
My Gallery  •  Please leave a vote and short comment if you download my work, thanks.  •  My Criterion Collection
ctaulbee
Super Administrator
Hand Me The Sledgehammer... I'll Fix It!
Topics: 1091
CoverArt: 3412
Resources: 4628
Medals: 56
2021 Cover of The Year (1)COTM March 2021 (1)COTM January 2021 (1)COTM November 2020 (1)
COTM July 2020 (1)COTM February 2020 (1)COTM January 2020 (1)COTM December 2019 (1)

The Gifted (2017) TV Series Season 1

Postby ctaulbee » Oct Sat 28, 2017 4:27 pm

The Gifted (2017) TV Series Season 1
EFX Rating30 stars
Just a couple of episodes in on this one but I like it so far, it's a X-Men type show with a pretty good cast and a decent story so far, time will tell, so I'm at three stars for now, subject to change later as the show progresses.
My Gallery  •  Please leave a vote and short comment if you download my work, thanks.  •  My Criterion Collection
ctaulbee
Super Administrator
2021 Cover of The Year (1)COTM March 2021 (1)COTM January 2021 (1)COTM November 2020 (1)
COTM July 2020 (1)COTM February 2020 (1)COTM January 2020 (1)COTM December 2019 (1)

Postby alienmem » Oct Sat 28, 2017 5:10 pm

ctaulbee wrote:
Fogdude wrote:Atomic Blonde (2017)
EFX Rating20 stars

Once again I find myself in total agreement with Foggy's assessment.  8)

I could reccomend you some movies Fog. That Atomic Blonde I agree. I watched it reluctantly knowing it was already gonna be a turd. there are worse movies though.
alienmem
VIP Subscriber

Postby Fogdude » Nov Sat 04, 2017 5:41 pm

MacGyver (2017-) TV Series Season 1 (well, some of it)
EFX Rating0 stars

Well, we gave it a shot. I slept through most of the 4th-7th episodes. I asked my wife if she wanted to keep going with it & she said, "NO!" So, that's it for us. I have no idea how this warranted 23 episodes in season one & then got renewed for another season with as many episodes. I'm assuming the under 30 crowd likes it, not being burdened with things like an actual education... or even common sense. My recommendation is not to waste your time.
Fogdude
VIP Subscriber
Mr Grumpy 2017 (1)

Postby topmeasure » Nov Sat 04, 2017 7:03 pm

Fogdude wrote:MacGyver (2017-) TV Series Season 1 (well, some of it)
EFX Rating0 stars

Well, we gave it a shot. I slept through most of the 4th-7th episodes. I asked my wife if she wanted to keep going with it & she said, "NO!" So, that's it for us. I have no idea how this warranted 23 episodes in season one & then got renewed for another season with as many episodes. I'm assuming the under 30 crowd likes it, not being burdened with things like an actual education... or even common sense. My recommendation is not to waste your time.

I saw a few episodes of the new MacGyver series, but it ended for me when I kept saying  yeah, right time and time again. I used to watch the original MacGyver (1985) way back when, just because it was the lead in to MNF.
topmeasure
Forum Director
I Give You One Like!
Topics: 831
CoverArt: 675
Resources: 10
Medals: 6
EFX Forum Champ 2022 (1)EFX Forum Champ 2021 (1)EFX Froum Champ 2020 (1)EFX 5K Post Club (1)
EFX Froum Champ 2019 (1)EFX Froum Champ 2018 (1)

Postby Fogdude » Nov Sat 04, 2017 7:58 pm

Lethal Weapon (2017-) TV Series Season 1
EFX Rating35 stars

I loved the Lethal Weapon movies, even the lame ones, so I decided to give this series a try. I like Damon Wayans as Murtaugh a LOT more than Danny Glover, but Clayne Crawford is no Mel Gibson. Even my wife doesn't like him. The series isn't bad, but Crawford spends far too much time weeping & wringing his hands. My wife thinks he's gay... not that that is a bad thing. She just thinks he's a little less than the necessary manly kind for the part. I hadn't really noticed that until she mentioned it, but I think she's blowing it out of proportion. I absolutely love Joe Pesci, but the guy who is playing his part in the series is nothing at all like him & I'm not sure I'll ever get to like him, or the character. Time will tell. Overall, the series is OK. I'll still go ahead with season 2, when it finishes. If the hand wringing continues, though, that will probably be it for me.
Fogdude
VIP Subscriber
Mr Grumpy 2017 (1)

Postby ctaulbee » Nov Sat 04, 2017 8:09 pm

Fogdude wrote:MacGyver (2017-) TV Series Season 1 (well, some of it)
EFX Rating0 stars

I never cared for the original, so I knew this one would have zero appeal to me  8)
ctaulbee
Super Administrator

Postby VincentLupo » Nov Sat 04, 2017 9:26 pm

topmeasure wrote:
I saw a few episodes of the new MacGyver series, but it ended for me when I kept saying  yeah, right time and time again. I used to watch the original MacGyver (1985) way back when, just because it was the lead in to MNF.

Ok,  What is MNF. :-?
VincentLupo
The Panda Moderator
Topics: 7
CoverArt: 2
Medals: 3
EFX 5K Post Club (1)Pandapedia Official Founder (1)Official Panda Moderator (1)

Postby chouette » Nov Sat 04, 2017 10:23 pm

VincentLupo wrote:
topmeasure wrote:I saw a few episodes of the new MacGyver series, but it ended for me when I kept saying  yeah, right time and time again. I used to watch the original MacGyver (1985) way back when, just because it was the lead in to MNF.

Ok,  What is MNF. :-?

Monday Night Football? :-?
chouette
Site Moderator
In my defense, I was left unsupervised.
Topics: 281
CoverArt: 6487
Resources: 281
Medals: 18
EFX ShoutBox Champ 2022 (1)2023 January Cover Contest (1)15,000 Downloads (1)EFX ShoutBox Champ 2021 (1)
EFX ShoutBox Champ 2020 (1)EFX Camp Counselor 2020 (1)EFX ShoutBox Champ 2019 (1)Contributor Of The Year 2019 (1)

Postby ctaulbee » Nov Sat 04, 2017 11:05 pm

Touchdown Madame Owl scores! :-$
ctaulbee
Super Administrator

Postby chouette » Nov Sun 05, 2017 1:54 am

I guess it pays to be married to a sport's nerd, lol - Woot, woot!! :D
chouette
Site Moderator
EFX ShoutBox Champ 2022 (1)2023 January Cover Contest (1)15,000 Downloads (1)EFX ShoutBox Champ 2021 (1)
EFX ShoutBox Champ 2020 (1)EFX Camp Counselor 2020 (1)EFX ShoutBox Champ 2019 (1)Contributor Of The Year 2019 (1)

Postby VincentLupo » Nov Sun 05, 2017 3:15 am

See how out of touch I am....I thought it some other show that MacGyver was a lead to.  Like a spin off or something.  Never would have gotten the sports angle.
VincentLupo
The Panda Moderator
Topics: 7
CoverArt: 2
Medals: 3
EFX 5K Post Club (1)Pandapedia Official Founder (1)Official Panda Moderator (1)

Postby RRJR84 » Nov Sat 11, 2017 11:24 pm

Tales From the Crypt Seasons 1-5

EFX Rating35 stars

It's a still a classic show imo the cryptkeeper and effects till hold up today and its cool to see the all cameos from barley famous stars back than.

Thor: Ragnarok

EFX Rating35 stars

There was only a few things I didn't like, other than that it was a fantastic addition to the MCU.
RRJR84
Designer
The Cartoon covers Guy
Topic author

Postby RRJR84 » Nov Fri 17, 2017 10:46 am

Justice League
EFX Rating40 stars
Been waiting a long time for this movie and it didn't disappoint there was a few minor things like most movies but I still loved it. The best thing they did was add humor and expand the universe far more than they did in Batman V Superman.

Daddy's Home 2
EFX Rating40 stars

Super funny , it was great to see everyone back and there was a few cheesy moments but overall a super funny movie. Mel Gibson was a great addition to the cast.

Kidnap
EFX Rating30 stars

Pretty kid movie defiantly shows how far a mother will go to protect her child, definitely a great thrill ride.
RRJR84
Designer
The Cartoon covers Guy
Topic author

Postby Fogdude » Nov Tue 21, 2017 8:01 am

Marvel's: The Punisher (2017- ) TV Series Season 1
EFX Rating35 stars

I love a good revenge flick. I've liked all of the Punisher films that have come before, the best being the most recent, with Thomas Jane. Now, Jon Bernthal, of The Walking Dead fame, takes on the title role, in a series of that same name, & does a creditable job with it. I just finished the season last night & can say it's worth watching, especially if you like some serious violence & vigilante justice, without getting too graphic, either in blood or sex. Bernthal isn't pretty & spends most of his screen time covered in blood, bruises & torn clothing, but he handles the part well. Very few slow spots & I didn't see any episodes wandering off to explore some inner angst on the part of a soul searching writer or director. That was a relief.
Fogdude
VIP Subscriber
Mr Grumpy 2017 (1)

Postby chouette » Nov Wed 22, 2017 12:42 am

Good to know Fog as this is definitely on the top of my list.

As for me, I finally watched "Hacksaw Ridge" yesterday with hubby. We both loved the movie, although he thought the beginning was a bit slow. Would I watch it again? You bet I would!

EFX Rating40 stars
chouette
Site Moderator

Postby Fogdude » Nov Thu 23, 2017 9:49 am

Elementary (2012- ) TV Series Season 1
EFX Rating35 stars

Having seen a few promos for this on cable, I was mildly interested but not so much I jumped into it right off. I recently decided to start binging it, as several seasons are already done & the ratings are quite high. I am pleased to report that it's actually fairly good. Lucy Liu is quite good in her role as Dr. Watson & Johnny Lee Miller, who was an unknown to me, before this, does a decent job as Sherlock Holmes, as well. It took me a few minutes to recognize Aidan Quinn, as I hadn't looked into the cast & wasn't even expecting to see him. He's as old & broad as am I! Still, overall, the series moves along at a good pace. It's the typical whodunnit plot with one or two main crimes being ferreted out each episode. I do enjoy watching Holmes befuddle everyone with his deductive skills. No significant action, blood & guts, or sex, just good old fashioned crime drama.
Fogdude
VIP Subscriber
Mr Grumpy 2017 (1)

Postby Fogdude » Dec Mon 04, 2017 7:45 am

Absentia (2017-) TV Series Season 1
EFX Rating40 stars

Those of you who know me know I fell in love with Stana Katic while watching the Castle series. Naturally, when I found out she was starting a new series of her own, I had to see it. I finally did. It was released on Sony's AXN channel in selected countries this year but has now been acquired by Amazon & will begin airing all 10 episodes at once on Prime in 2018. I am sincerely hoping this will signal continuing seasons for this series. Just as an FYI, Stana is not dolled up, wears no heels, does no nudity & looks pretty rugged & beat up throughout this first season. Her hair is always horrid & she sports cuts & bruises all over, most of the time. Still, she delivers an excellent performance in a solid story that ends with things wide open for more. I'm hoping it will go that way. If nothing else, these are 10 episodes you won't be wasting your time seeing.
Fogdude
VIP Subscriber
Mr Grumpy 2017 (1)

Postby alienmem » Dec Mon 04, 2017 1:00 pm

Saw Bottle Rocket yesterday for the n-th time.

A classic
alienmem
VIP Subscriber

Postby Fogdude » Dec Mon 11, 2017 8:46 am

Salem (2014-2016) TV Series Seasons 1-3
EFX Rating30 stars

My wife liked this series a lot more than did I, thus the high rating. I would have given it 2 stars, so I averaged them.

Overall, it's not bad, I just couldn't keep my attention focused on it. Given it uses a lot of witchcraft & magic, things happen that make no sense, come out of nowhere & never seem to fully resolve, so it lost me several times. Still, it's well produced, directed & acted, so I give it points for that. It's interesting to see them constantly pulling familiar names & details from all the stories we've heard of the witch trial period of Salem, but the back story is completely different than you'd expect. At least, it came as a surprise to me. If you're into the supernatural type stuff, you'll probably like this.
Fogdude
VIP Subscriber
Mr Grumpy 2017 (1)

Re: The Gifted (2017) TV Series Season 1

Postby ctaulbee » Dec Mon 11, 2017 12:31 pm

ctaulbee wrote:The Gifted (2017) TV Series Season 1
EFX Rating30 stars
Just a couple of episodes in on this one but I like it so far, it's a X-Men type show with a pretty good cast and a decent story so far, time will tell, so I'm at three stars for now, subject to change later as the show progresses.

**Update**

After six episodes now it has really slowed to more focus on character relationships and less on action and effects based on character abilities.  This seems to be a trend with shows these days they have a cool idea and start off with a bang then soon spiral into a slow drivel of more or less soap opera type character arcs with nothing to do with the original premise of the show, boring...

I don't know how many episodes are left but I'll be in no hurry to finish them, if I do at all.
ctaulbee
Super Administrator

PreviousNext