Current Contest Banner

EFX Subscriptions

The Slippery Soapbox

You have opinions to share and bizarre questions to ask, this is the place for discussions that don't fit any other forum section.

Lawless (2012)

Postby Zerkalo » Jun Fri 07, 2013 7:46 am

Lawless (2012), John Hillcoat

• IMDB.COM: Rating: 7.3 (90,000+ votes); Metascore: 58 (35+ critics)
  • ROTTEN TOMATOES: Tomatometer: 67% (132-197)
  • TOP7 NEWSPAPERS: 54 AVG, no 4-star reviews

Although Lawless was released in August last year, I needed another film from 2012 to post its review along with The Place Beyond the Pines as an unsuccessful attempt at crime genre that puts the family at its center. If you make a list of pros and cons about Lawless, you’ll find that the pluses outnumber the minuses, and not by a slight margin. The film’s casting & acting are superb, Delhomme’s cinematography captures the Prohibition atmosphere as well as any Roaring Twenties classic and that raw, uncensored violence that is director John Hillcoat’s trademark evokes the brutal reality of inflicted pain from The Proposition.

Alas, in every system there’s a hierarchy; not all the segments of the pyramid possess the same weight. And for the cinema, just like for any other art, content, form and function stand second to none. Unfortunately, Lawless never fully realizes any of these three dimensions. The key problem that stunted its growth and irreparably damaged the overall quality of the film rests on its problematic identity. With his misplaced narrative in the form of prologue/epilogue, Hillcoat unnaturally forces his framed story to stretch through time and work on the purpose of his protagonist’s (Hardy) life, somehow overlooking the fact that those two have nothing in common and are actually excluding one another. The director is infatuated with making his film look epic – tendency the Coen brothers actually realized with Miller’s Crossing – that he fails to develop the main plot to its full extent. The result is not a bad movie, but one which we inadvertently tend to forget, as expressed in a regularly applied memory game, “What was it about, again?”

EUPHORICFX GRADE: Image
Zerkalo
Retired Staff
Topic author
Topics: 94

Re: Reviews, Week 16

Postby kylumi » Jun Fri 07, 2013 7:58 am

Although I really enjoyed this movie....it was virtually devoid of any meaningful content. What could have been an imposing movie kind of trickled along with little impact at all. However, Special Deputy Charlie Rakes (Guy Pearce)was stunning, without his performance this movie would have altogether collapsed.

What on earth was Gary Oldman thinking of when he signed his contract :-&
kylumi
Lifetime Achievement
Keep Calm, I'm British!
Topics: 185
CoverArt: 312
Resources: 4
Medals: 28
2016 September Cover Contest (1)COTM April 2016 (1)2016 February Label Contest (1)COTM 2015 November (1)
2015 November Cover Contest (1)COTM 2015 October (1)2015 October Cover Contest (1)2015 September Cover Contest (1)

Re: Reviews, Week 16

Postby Zerkalo » Jun Fri 07, 2013 10:04 am

kylumi wrote:Although I really enjoyed this movie....it was virtually devoid of any meaningful content. What could have been an imposing movie kind of trickled along with little impact at all. However, Special Deputy Charlie Rakes (Guy Pearce)was stunning, without his performance this movie would have altogether collapsed.

What on earth was Gary Oldman thinking of when he signed his contract :-&

Agree with what you wrote, ky. Oldman probably went for the Hillcoat's reputation, not Cave's screenplay. And you know what? I can't really blame him. I absolutely loved The Proposition and defended The Road as much as I could back in 2009. Obvi- ously, something went wrong with this one. Now, I didn't read the novel, but to me, there's just no excuse for the poor adapta- tion, no matter how much the source material is scarce or demanding. You buy out its rights, you take the responsibility.
Zerkalo
Retired Staff
Topic author
Topics: 94