Current Contest Banner

EFX Subscriptions

The Slippery Soapbox

You have opinions to share and bizarre questions to ask, this is the place for discussions that don't fit any other forum section.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot (2016)

Postby ctaulbee » Aug Wed 17, 2016 9:07 pm

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot (2016)

SNL alumni Tina Fey steps into the well worn shoes of journalist Kim Barker in Paramount Pictures' adaptation of Barker's memoir The Taliban Shuffle: Strange Days in Afghanistan and Pakistan, which details her years as a reporter in Pakistan & Afghanistan beginning in 2002.

Rating: R
for pervasive language, some sexual content, drug use and violent war images

Genre: Comedy , Drama
Directed By: Glenn Ficarra and John Requa
Written By: Robert Carlock

Runtime: 111 minutes
Studio: Paramount Pictures

Stars:  Tina Fey, Margot Robbie, Martin Freeman, Alfred Molina, Christopher Abbott, Billy Bob Thornton, Nicholas Braun, Stephen Peacocke, Sheila Vand

The title to this Glenn Ficarra and John Requa production is appropriately using the military alphabet to spell out the abbreviated term for ‘what the fu*k’ – which seems a somewhat fitting description of one news reporter’s extraordinary adventure in Afghanistan to cover the war on terror.

Based entirely on a true story, we delve into the life of Kim Baker (Tina Fey) who is presented with the opportunity of flying to the Middle East and trying her hand at broadcasting, far away (literally) from the monotonous copy she currently writes for others to present. Leaving behind her boyfriend Chris (Josh Charles) she must adapt to a whole new way of life and culture, as the courageous journalist seeks in providing competition to the successful Tanya Vanderpoel (Margot Robbie). Faced with life threatening situations on the front line, the experience also proves to be the making of Kim, who reinvents herself and becomes a focal point of the social life, alongside new friends – and colleagues – such as the charismatic photographer Iain MacKelpie (Martin Freeman).

Fey turns in a commendable display to more than prove her worth as a dramatic actress, while she is fortunate enough to be surrounded by accomplished performers making up the supporting roles. Billy Bob Thornton plays General Hollanek, while both Alfred Molina and Christopher Abbott also star as locals – the latter impressing hugely as arguably the stand-out performer within this endeavor. However their casting does represent a major failing within this title, which is the inclination to hire white, American/English actors to take roles that could, and should have been given to Middle Eastern actors, of which there are many more than adept to do so.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot also addresses the ingrained sexism that exists within the military – and journalism, for that matter – but it’s never the lead focus of the piece, and while alluded too throughout, the fact it takes something of a back-burner makes it all the more striking, as it shows just ingrained the issue is within the fabric of these vocations and almost how normalized it is too – proving that it’s a problem not limited only to other cultures, but one that’s prevalent a little closer to home, too.

This actually a nice watch, if you haven't seen it you might give it a look  :-)

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
My Gallery  •  Please leave a vote and short comment if you download my work, thanks.  •  My Criterion Collection
ctaulbee
Super Administrator
Hand Me The Sledgehammer... I'll Fix It!
Topic author
Topics: 1091
CoverArt: 3412
Resources: 4628
Medals: 56
2021 Cover of The Year (1)COTM March 2021 (1)COTM January 2021 (1)COTM November 2020 (1)
COTM July 2020 (1)COTM February 2020 (1)COTM January 2020 (1)COTM December 2019 (1)

Re: Whiskey Tango Foxtrot (2016)

Postby Pico » Aug Thu 18, 2016 3:56 pm

I enjoyed this movie.
Pico
Elite Member
Live The Life You've Imagined.
Topics: 378
CoverArt: 66
Resources: 3
Medals: 2
2014 Sci-Fi Cover Comp (1)2013 Christmas Cover Comp (1)

Re: Whiskey Tango Foxtrot (2016)

Postby Fogdude » Aug Thu 18, 2016 4:18 pm

Pico wrote:I enjoyed this movie.

Thanks for the report, Pico. I've been hesitant to bother with it because of Tina Fey, but I may go ahead & give it a try, now.
Fogdude
VIP Subscriber
If you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
Topics: 153
Occupation: Retired IT guy. I was the one looking up from beneath your desk...
Medals: 1
Mr Grumpy 2017 (1)