Current Contest Banner

EFX Subscriptions

The Slippery Soapbox

You have opinions to share and bizarre questions to ask, this is the place for discussions that don't fit any other forum section.

About Time – Richard Curtis strikes again

Postby 2getted » Oct Tue 15, 2013 11:03 pm

About Time
At the age of 21, Tim discovers he can travel in time and change what happens and has happened in his own life. His decision to make his world a better place by getting a girlfriend turns out not to be as easy as you might think.
Director: Richard Curtis
Writer: Richard Curtis
Stars: Domhnall Gleeson, Rachel McAdams, Bill Nighy
Runtime: 123 min
Motion Picture Rating (MPAA):
Rated R for language and some sexual content.
EFX RatingImage

In the romantic comedy About Time, Tim, (Domhnall Gleeson), is a member of a happy well-to-do English family who live in a beautiful house by the sea in Cornwell. There’s dad, (Bill Nighy), a retired academic, mum, (Lindsay Duncan) who loves her garden, kid sister Kit Kat, (Lydia Wilson), and eccentric Uncle D, (Richard Cordery). On his 21st birthday Tim learns a secret from his father, that the men in the family are capable of time travel. They can briefly return to an earlier time in their own life but not to change anything dramatically like killing Hitler though. Over the years Tim uses this gift to help his friends and to augment his relationship with the American girl Mary, (Rachel McAdams), that he meets by chance one evening.

The writer and director, Richard Curtis, has a knack for writing feel good romantic comedies like Four Weddings and a Funeral and Notting Hill, and his directorial debut Love Actually was for many people a total delight although his follow up, The Boat That Rocked disappointed. About Time borrows a key plot element from another quite recent Rachel McAdams film, The Time Traveler’s Wife. So you could fault it for the lack of originality of a pretty contrived plot that includes all the usual Richard Curtis stock characters as well as a wedding and a funeral. But it works thanks to a generosity of spirit and to some wonderful performances. Bill Nighy works well as Tim’s father and in a sense the film is as much a love story between a father and son as it is between a man and his partner. Domhnall Gleeson gets better with every film he does and he is excellent here. The minor characters including cameos from Richard E. Grant and the late Richard Griffiths add to the overall experience.

Richard Curtis stated that this is his most personal film and he continues with his apparent fascination with American leading ladies, Andie MacDowell from Four Weddings and a Funeral and Julia Roberts from Notting Hill and now Rachel McAdams. So the pattern continues as does the style of this film. But despite the plot contrivances About Time is a lovely film in many ways, often amusing and ultimately very touching indeed, but definitely a Richard Curtis film.

2getted
VIP Subscriber
Topic author
Topics: 16
CoverArt: 17

Re: About Time – Richard Curtis strikes again

Postby ctaulbee » Oct Wed 16, 2013 12:46 am

Good stuff 2G, I'll have to add this to my check it out list, thanks bud :-)
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
My Gallery  •  Please leave a vote and short comment if you download my work, thanks.  •  My Criterion Collection
ctaulbee
Super Administrator
Hand Me The Sledgehammer... I'll Fix It!
Topics: 1091
CoverArt: 3412
Resources: 4628
Medals: 56
2021 Cover of The Year (1)COTM March 2021 (1)COTM January 2021 (1)COTM November 2020 (1)
COTM July 2020 (1)COTM February 2020 (1)COTM January 2020 (1)COTM December 2019 (1)

Postby 2getted » Oct Wed 16, 2013 5:18 am

ctaulbee wrote:Good stuff 2G, I'll have to add this to my check it out list, thanks bud

Fair warning, as I mentioned this is typical of Richard Curtis' work. So if you liked Four Weddings and a Funeral and didn't mind Notting Hill (minus Hugh Grant though) then you'll absolutely love this and would probably give it 4 stars. Otherwise it's not a bad film and does have a few clever funny moments.
2getted
VIP Subscriber
Topic author

Postby bankska22 » Oct Thu 31, 2013 2:30 am

Gonna have to check this out. Any space creatures going back in time? :-%
bankska22
#1 Dallas Cowboy's Fan!
Topics: 974
CoverArt: 1914
Resources: 24
Medals: 10
COTM January 2023 (1)2021 April Cover Contest (1)2020 August Cover Contest (1)2020 May Cover Contest (1)
EFX 5K Post Club (1)2019 June Cover Contest (1)COTM March 2019 (1)2014 Action Label Design Comp (1)

Postby 2getted » Nov Fri 01, 2013 8:41 pm

bankska22 wrote:Gonna have to check this out. Any space creatures going back in time?

:giggle:
The time travel part is really well done IMAO and the film doesn't make a big sci-fi thing about it. Think more Narnia than Dr Who.
2getted
VIP Subscriber
Topic author

Postby bankska22 » Nov Tue 05, 2013 1:27 am

Well I'm on board then. :-)
bankska22
#1 Dallas Cowboy's Fan!
Topics: 974
CoverArt: 1914
Resources: 24
Medals: 10
COTM January 2023 (1)2021 April Cover Contest (1)2020 August Cover Contest (1)2020 May Cover Contest (1)
EFX 5K Post Club (1)2019 June Cover Contest (1)COTM March 2019 (1)2014 Action Label Design Comp (1)