Current Contest Banner

EFX Subscriptions

The Slippery Soapbox

You have opinions to share and bizarre questions to ask, this is the place for discussions that don't fit any other forum section.

Wreck-It Ralph (2012)

Postby Zerkalo » Jul Fri 12, 2013 6:57 am

Wreck-It Ralph (2012), Rich Moore

• IMDB.COM: Rating: 7.8 (120,000+ votes); Metascore: 72 (35+ critics)
  • ROTTEN TOMATOES: Tomatometer: 86% (141-164)
  • TOP5 NEWSPAPERS: 89 AVG, three 4-star reviews: A.O.Scott, The New York Times; Mary Pols, TIME; Peter Debruge, Variety

For the generations of American kids and teenagers all across the modern part of the world that were growing up from the late 1970s to the mid-1990s, arcade games were a lot more than just a popular pastime. Arcade games were defining childhoods, as they were the prototypes for the sort of socializing which today takes place on the Internet social networks. People who grew up playing at the Arcades regard the memories on them as something innermost, something which later – amongst other things – defined the term nostalgia in their emotional redefinition of the private past. That coin-operated nostalgia has been waiting on forever for the movie which would capture that feeling and help them reestablish connection with Space Invaders, Pac-Man, Street Fighter and the rest of the cult classic games, that is, that part of the feeling that rests outside of their own hearts & minds.

The coin they waited to be inserted – with sound effects and everything – all this time is Wreck-It Ralph, a story about a video game villain who wants to be a hero for a change and sets out to fulfill his dream, but not without causing an utter chaos along the way. In the best animated movie of the year, Disney creates its own arcade game characters for the main part of the story, but also brings the original cast & crew for extras and minor roles, like Sonic the Hedgehog and M. Bison, among many others. That way, Wreck-It Ralph works as both homage and historiographical metafiction at the same time. The sheer vastness and abundance of possibilities in adapting an idea like this enabled the creative team of artists who stand behind the project to let their imagination run wild: they themselves act like kids, constantly switching from one scenery to the next, from one epoch onto another, back and forward and then back again in no particular order – not thoughtlessly, mind you – trying to encapsulate all of the magic one Arcade had to and still has to offer. Every so often, the plot becomes a tiny bit sillier and more children-oriented, but director Rich Moore never loses the big picture out of his sight. He knows that the nos- talgia alone is not enough to immortalize his movie. Accordingly, he makes sure not to get sidetracked by all the tempting distractions, all the beams and buttons of the coin-ops. He carries out his vision by going narrow and staying faithful to his primary heroes; by excelling at this, all other pieces fall into place, just as if they were two-dimensional rectangles in the Brick Breaking game.

EUPHORICFX GRADE: Image
Zerkalo
Retired Staff
Topic author
Topics: 94

Re: Reviews, Week 19

Postby kylumi » Jul Fri 12, 2013 7:05 am

Now your talking my kinda movie Zerk m8......This one falls into my top 10 animated movie favorites.

Great concept
Great Story
Great Animation
Great Voice Overs
Great Enjoyment

10/10
kylumi
Lifetime Achievement
Keep Calm, I'm British!
Topics: 185
CoverArt: 312
Resources: 4
Medals: 28
2016 September Cover Contest (1)COTM April 2016 (1)2016 February Label Contest (1)COTM 2015 November (1)
2015 November Cover Contest (1)COTM 2015 October (1)2015 October Cover Contest (1)2015 September Cover Contest (1)

Postby kylumi » Jul Fri 12, 2013 7:32 am

Run "The Shining" backwards to understand why the Americans never landed anybody on the Moon :-&
kylumi
Lifetime Achievement
Keep Calm, I'm British!
Topics: 185
CoverArt: 312
Resources: 4
Medals: 28
2016 September Cover Contest (1)COTM April 2016 (1)2016 February Label Contest (1)COTM 2015 November (1)
2015 November Cover Contest (1)COTM 2015 October (1)2015 October Cover Contest (1)2015 September Cover Contest (1)

Postby ctaulbee » Jul Fri 12, 2013 10:30 am

Still haven't seen Wreck-it yet lol, this 237 sounds like a real waste of some minutes in ones life.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
My Gallery  •  Please leave a vote and short comment if you download my work, thanks.  •  My Criterion Collection
ctaulbee
Super Administrator
Hand Me The Sledgehammer... I'll Fix It!
Topics: 1091
CoverArt: 3412
Resources: 4628
Medals: 56
2021 Cover of The Year (1)COTM March 2021 (1)COTM January 2021 (1)COTM November 2020 (1)
COTM July 2020 (1)COTM February 2020 (1)COTM January 2020 (1)COTM December 2019 (1)

Postby Zerkalo » Jul Fri 12, 2013 11:31 am

ctaulbee wrote:Still haven't seen Wreck-it yet lol, this 237 sounds like a real waste of some minutes in ones life.

If you are a hard-core Shining buff - as in I-have-no-life-at-all-because-of-it - then this doc is awesome. Otherwise... meh.
Zerkalo
Retired Staff
Topic author

Postby nichart » Jul Thu 18, 2013 8:22 pm

I have to agree with ky about Wreck-It Ralph. The Disney machine was firing on all cylinders on this one and churned out an amazing film. I find myself getting lost in the nostalgia of it. Easily in my top 10 favorite animated films.

Room 237, while the concept sounds intriguing, seems like it will just be a disappointment. I've seen the Kubrick film, read the book, and seen the 1997 remake. I will probably read the sequel (due out this fall), but honestly will probably never actually watch this documentary. Do they even talk to Mr. King about it?
nichart
Lifetime Achievement
Topics: 164
CoverArt: 180
Medals: 3
Showdown Nichart def Salsa (1)Showdown Nichart def TheDude (1)2013 Irish-Easter Label Comp (1)

Postby Zerkalo » Jul Fri 19, 2013 7:16 am

nichart wrote:I have to agree with ky about Wreck-It Ralph. The Disney machine was firing on all cylinders on this one and churned out an amazing film. I find myself getting lost in the nostalgia of it. Easily in my top 10 favorite animated films.

Room 237, while the concept sounds intriguing, seems like it will just be a disappointment. I've seen the Kubrick film, read the book, and seen the 1997 remake. I will probably read the sequel (due out this fall), but honestly will probably never actually watch this documentary. Do they even talk to Mr. King about it?

No. King is as far from Kubrick's The Shining as it goes, as you know, nic. All these hidden messages Kubrick had left behind in the film are not King's cup of tea at all. It calls for movie buffs, so the documentary is based entirely on their theories. Adaptation of the book is irrelevant. They mention some excerpts, but only for the purposes of Stanley's gimmicks.
Zerkalo
Retired Staff
Topic author

Postby nichart » Jul Fri 19, 2013 9:07 am

Zerkalo wrote:No. King is as far from Kubrick's The Shining as it goes, as you know, nic. All these hidden messages Kubrick had left behind in the film are not King's cup of tea at all. It calls for movie buffs, so the documentary is based entirely on their theories. Adaptation of the book is irrelevant. They mention some excerpts, but only for the purposes of Stanley's gimmicks.

I will be avoiding this then. Thank you Zerkalo! lol
nichart
Lifetime Achievement
Topics: 164
CoverArt: 180
Medals: 3
Showdown Nichart def Salsa (1)Showdown Nichart def TheDude (1)2013 Irish-Easter Label Comp (1)

Postby bankska22 » Jul Sat 20, 2013 10:44 pm

kylumi wrote:Now your talking my kinda movie Zerk m8......This one falls into my top 10 animated movie favorites.

Great concept
Great Story
Great Animation
Great Voice Overs
Great Enjoyment

10/10

I haven't seen this yet but I hear it's a good one. Original
bankska22
#1 Dallas Cowboy's Fan!
Topics: 977
CoverArt: 1917
Resources: 24
Medals: 10
COTM January 2023 (1)2021 April Cover Contest (1)2020 August Cover Contest (1)2020 May Cover Contest (1)
EFX 5K Post Club (1)2019 June Cover Contest (1)COTM March 2019 (1)2014 Action Label Design Comp (1)

Postby bankska22 » Jul Sat 20, 2013 10:46 pm

ctaulbee wrote:Still haven't seen Wreck-it yet lol, this 237 sounds like a real waste of some minutes in ones life.

With ya on that.  :-((
bankska22
#1 Dallas Cowboy's Fan!
Topics: 977
CoverArt: 1917
Resources: 24
Medals: 10
COTM January 2023 (1)2021 April Cover Contest (1)2020 August Cover Contest (1)2020 May Cover Contest (1)
EFX 5K Post Club (1)2019 June Cover Contest (1)COTM March 2019 (1)2014 Action Label Design Comp (1)