Current Contest Banner

EFX Subscriptions

The Slippery Soapbox

You have opinions to share and bizarre questions to ask, this is the place for discussions that don't fit any other forum section.

The Place Beyond the Pines (2012)

Postby Zerkalo » Jun Fri 07, 2013 7:26 am

The Place Beyond the Pines (2012), Derek Cianfrance

• IMDB.COM: Rating: 7.6 (34,000+ votes); Metascore: 68 (40+ critics)
  • ROTTEN TOMATOES: Tomatometer: 82% (143-175)
  • TOP7 NEWSPAPERS: 71 AVG, no 4-star reviews

If you hadn’t noticed by now, there’s no black-and-white truth with Derek Cianfrance, the director of Blue Valentine, a highly emotional drama about a schism of a contemporary married couple and one of the best films of 2010. In The Place Beyond the Pines, his latest collaboration with Ryan Gosling, the star of his previous highly-acclaimed film, anything can be justified, but not everything is justifiable. There is no traditional bisection into good and evil, just persons of different backgrounds who are for most of the time the victims of the situation they found themselves in. The situation is imposed on them and they’re acting on their instinct rather than on their reason. That instinct is primordial and their reactions are of animals who want to protect themselves and take care of their loved ones. Although young, Cianfrance is wise enough not to take sides and turn his film into a morality tale. Instead, as he did with Blue Valentine, he backs off and lets us as his audience to draw a conclusion about the interwoven lives of the characters he created. His story has circular shape and linear trajectory, but gives a pervading impression of a broken triptych that goes through an agony just in order to remain as a whole. That’s not the flaw, that’s the taste of life. And The Place Beyond the Pines bleeds life.

EUPHORICFX GRADE: Image
Zerkalo
Retired Staff
Topic author
Topics: 94

Re: Reviews, Week 16

Postby kylumi » Jun Fri 07, 2013 7:45 am

I was looking at this movie a while a go and thought it would be either great or mediocre :-?
I am not a Ryan Gosling fan but he is slowly growing on me....so I am going to give this one a watch!! :-O ....I love time spanning movies and having read all the reviews, this film is not going to let me down. I have a feeling it will be packed with character individuality, tension and drama....what more can one ask? :-@
kylumi
Lifetime Achievement
Keep Calm, I'm British!
Topics: 185
CoverArt: 312
Resources: 4
Medals: 28
2016 September Cover Contest (1)COTM April 2016 (1)2016 February Label Contest (1)COTM 2015 November (1)
2015 November Cover Contest (1)COTM 2015 October (1)2015 October Cover Contest (1)2015 September Cover Contest (1)

Re: Reviews, Week 16

Postby ctaulbee » Jun Fri 07, 2013 10:51 am

Agreed Zerkalo :-)

Ky spot on with Lawless, an apt summary.

I have been wanting to check out The Place Beyond the Pines since I noticed it a bit ago, soon, very soon....
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
My Gallery  •  Please leave a vote and short comment if you download my work, thanks.  •  My Criterion Collection
ctaulbee
Super Administrator
Hand Me The Sledgehammer... I'll Fix It!
Topics: 1091
CoverArt: 3412
Resources: 4628
Medals: 56
2021 Cover of The Year (1)COTM March 2021 (1)COTM January 2021 (1)COTM November 2020 (1)
COTM July 2020 (1)COTM February 2020 (1)COTM January 2020 (1)COTM December 2019 (1)