Current Contest Banner

EFX Subscriptions

The Slippery Soapbox

You have opinions to share and bizarre questions to ask, this is the place for discussions that don't fit any other forum section.

The Woman in Black (2012)

Postby Zerkalo » Apr Fri 26, 2013 7:47 am

The Woman in Black (2012), James Watkins

• IMDB.COM: Rating: 6.5 (80,000+ votes); Metascore: 62 (35+ critics)
  • ROTTEN TOMATOES: Tomatometer: 65% (113-173)
  • TOP7 NEWSPAPERS: 72 AVG, no 4-star reviews

Lawyer Arthur Kipps, a young single-parent whose wife had recently died, travels on business to a remote village in order to obtain all the necessary paperwork his company needs for the selling of a large yet old manor called Eel Marsh House. On that isolated and seemingly desolate piece of land, he discovers the vengeful ghost of a scorned woman who, upon his ar- rival, starts terrorizing the locals’ children, the horror not at all foreign to the inhabitants of the place. Arthur is determined to find out the truth behind that curse, not only for the sake of the villagers, but for his own demons as well, since his own son is arriving to join him there.

The Woman in Black is the latest addition to the Gothic horror opus. Director James Watkins, whom you may now from his previous face-twitcher, Eden Lake, adapted Susan Hill’s 1983 novella by strongly relying on all the imagery which the book provides, thus creating a chilling atmosphere that is a precursor of every good horror. Watkins maximized the potential of Voldemort’s killer, Daniel Radcliffe, the actor we had previously associated with reading glasses and magic wand. Are we gullible enough to believe Radcliffe could actually be someone’s father? I don’t think so. A widower? Perhaps. But, did Harry Potter do a bad job? Not at all. Watkins took his hero, dressed him up in a ship-shape garment for the Edwardian-era Britain and put inside him an inquisitive mind and a good soul. This forced the protagonist to keep returning to the crime scene – a la Mr. Jonathan Harker from Dracula – thus forcing us to be his sole human companions. Surrounded on that island of dread with grave-infested forest, the marsh and vastness of the sea, we have no choice but to synchronize our heartbeats with young Mr. Kipps here. His responses to the eerily indicative environment of the Eel Marsh House may not be jaw-drop- ping, but are readable enough for us so that we can put ourselves in the skin of a petrified visitor who’s dealing with super- natural forces. The movie obediently follows the genre protocol – the past revelation, the present tragedy, the accomplice, the ultimate fear, the solution – up until we find out that the curse has not been lifted despite the fact that Kipps recovered the body of the ghost’s long lost son, the reason of her taking vengeance on other people’s children. As it turns out, that gesture is not enough to stop the woman in black from haunting the village. This makes total sense since the loss of a mother can- not be satiated by a mere excavation of her baby’s mummified corpse, something that almost every previous similar movie plot stupidly ignored. If anything, the ghost’s fury is all the greater since that tiniest bit of hope that the boy somehow saved himself and disappeared is dead and buried. It reminded me on the moment in The Others when we realize that Nicole Kidman’s children and her are not haunted by the ghosts but are ghosts themselves.

Why then grade it semi-low then? The reasons are multifarious. The Woman in Black is more insecure in the meaning of its own mysteriousness than it is reluctant of revealing everything to us. The ghost’s background is strong and disturbing, but incomplete and a bit artificial. At moments, Eel Marsh House is too obviously a product of written fantasy. It possesses so many Gothic symbols, almost like a theme park or a castle-turned-museum. And finally, The Woman in Black should have ended with the departure of Arthur Kipps from the manor, the ”Never forgive” part. That whole scene at the end of the movie which involves the train station should have been cut from the film in the post-production or not filmed at all. They are plan- ning on shooting a sequel anyway. The transition between this part and the next would have gone a lot smoother if in the meantime the villagers are oblivious of the curse’s survival.

EUPHORICFX GRADE: Image
Zerkalo
Retired Staff
Topic author
Topics: 94

Re: Reviews, Week 15

Postby ctaulbee » Apr Fri 26, 2013 8:17 am

I have got to get time to watch Zero Dark Thirty ;-)
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
My Gallery  •  Please leave a vote and short comment if you download my work, thanks.  •  My Criterion Collection
ctaulbee
Super Administrator
Hand Me The Sledgehammer... I'll Fix It!
Topics: 1091
CoverArt: 3412
Resources: 4628
Medals: 56
2021 Cover of The Year (1)COTM March 2021 (1)COTM January 2021 (1)COTM November 2020 (1)
COTM July 2020 (1)COTM February 2020 (1)COTM January 2020 (1)COTM December 2019 (1)

Postby kylumi » Apr Fri 26, 2013 8:27 am

The Woman in Black:
You have done it again Zerk m8....I was viewing this movie a while ago then promptly forgot all about it :-O
After reading your review I suddenly got an idea for a custom cover design. I will watch this movie by the way....even though your star count is on the lowish side, I want to see how "Harry Potter" copes as a big boy :-%  :-O
kylumi
Lifetime Achievement
Keep Calm, I'm British!
Topics: 185
CoverArt: 312
Resources: 4
Medals: 28
2016 September Cover Contest (1)COTM April 2016 (1)2016 February Label Contest (1)COTM 2015 November (1)
2015 November Cover Contest (1)COTM 2015 October (1)2015 October Cover Contest (1)2015 September Cover Contest (1)

Postby kylumi » Apr Fri 26, 2013 8:30 am

Zero Dark 30....I was talking to a colleague today about ths movie...Yes, another one I have not seen...but, it must be very worthwhile, you have maxed out the rating..so it's a no brainer for me :-O
kylumi
Lifetime Achievement
Keep Calm, I'm British!
2016 September Cover Contest (1)COTM April 2016 (1)2016 February Label Contest (1)COTM 2015 November (1)
2015 November Cover Contest (1)COTM 2015 October (1)2015 October Cover Contest (1)2015 September Cover Contest (1)

Postby Lucan63 » Apr Fri 26, 2013 10:00 am

I haven't watched ZDT yet and Woman in Black apparently is very forgettable as I didn't even recognize the title and I saw this not too long ago!  8-)
Lucan63
Root Administrator
Biker Admin
Topics: 177
CoverArt: 187
Occupation: Self-Employed and Automotive Care Center Coach at Walmart

Postby kylumi » Apr Fri 26, 2013 10:49 am

Lucan63 wrote:I haven't watched ZDT yet and Woman in Black apparently is very forgettable as I didn't even recognize the title and I saw this not too long ago!  8-)

Probably means that "The Woman in Black" is a fantastic watch then :-O  :-O  :-%
kylumi
Lifetime Achievement
Keep Calm, I'm British!

Postby RRJR84 » May Tue 07, 2013 8:23 pm

i personally didn't enjoy either film, i tried but neither could keep me interested
RRJR84
Designer
The Cartoon covers Guy
Topics: 88
CoverArt: 883
Resources: 1
Medals: 1
Showdown RRJR84 def TheDude (1)

Postby nichart » Jul Thu 18, 2013 8:29 pm

I watched The Woman In Black. I was extremely excited to see it for a couple different reasons. I wanted to see how Dan Radcliffe would do outside of HP, and I had also read the book and found it to be enjoyable (a little slow to start, but enjoyable). I thought that Mr. Radcliffe did a great job given the material. His emotions were firm and believable. However, having read the book first, I found myself sorely disappointed in the film, primarily due to the number of changes made. My wife however liked it.  :-)
nichart
Lifetime Achievement
Topics: 164
CoverArt: 180
Medals: 3
Showdown Nichart def Salsa (1)Showdown Nichart def TheDude (1)2013 Irish-Easter Label Comp (1)