Current Contest Banner

EFX Subscriptions

The Slippery Soapbox

You have opinions to share and bizarre questions to ask, this is the place for discussions that don't fit any other forum section.

Les Misérables (2012)

Postby Zerkalo » Mar Fri 29, 2013 7:23 am

Les Misérables (2012), Tom Hooper

• IMDB.COM: Rating: 7.8 (107,000+ votes); Metascore: 63 (40+ critics)
  • ROTTEN TOMATOES: Tomatometer: 70% (152-217)
  • TOP7 NEWSPAPERS:  63 AVG, no 4-star reviews

Award-winning director Tom Hooper continued his tradition of dissecting the complex relation-ships between two great men. While he previously delved into the liaisons of real-life characters (those of the legendary soccer coach Bryan Clough and his assistent and best friend, Peter Taylor in The Damned United and the British king George VI and his speech therapist, Lionel Logue in The King’s Speech), this time he set his mind on Les Misérables, Alain Boublil and Claude-Michel Schon- berg’s 80’s stage musical based upon Victor Hugo’s 1862 magnum opus of the same title. And here’s where the inception of the film’s problem was already conceived.

By adapting the musical, not the novel, Hooper was not able to implement his more personal interpretation of the Valjean-Javert dialectics upon which Les Misérables so famously blossomed and consequently became a cornerstone of French Romanticist prose. More than anything, he had an obligation to chiefly focus on the musical’s lines, actors’ and actresses’ body language and art decoration. Add to that the crossroads of Valjean’s (Jackman) tenor conscience, depletion of Javert’s (Crowe) strength by actor’s strained singing, demanding background political situation in France that eventually led to an uprising and time-impoverished sparkle between Cosette (Seyfried) and Marius (Redmayne) and the ground to work on was as chaotic as a revolution. It is somewhat of an indicator if not one of the big name critics gave your film four stars. I liked Hathaway (Fantine), loved brilliant Huttlestone boy (Gavroche), thought Jackman was decent as Javert and so-so enjoyed the Bonham Carter-Baron Cohen duet (Mr. and Mrs. Thenardier), but that’s wasn’t nearly enough for this project to seriously compete with the likes of Argo, Lincoln or Zero Dark Thirty. Apart from the opening and closing scenes, production didn’t look all that impressive. It definitively did not compensate for some other flaws or made them look better. Furthermore, at intervals it did those flaws a disfavor, like the time the sound mixing of Javert’s back-breaking fall outshone gendarme’s actual suicide act. Javert’s suicide was painful, but instant death, yet in the long run, it seems like it will hurt Les Mis dras- tically more.

EUPHORICFX GRADE: Image
Zerkalo
Retired Staff
Topic author
Topics: 94

Re: Reviews, Week Eleven

Postby kylumi » Mar Sat 30, 2013 1:44 pm

Les Miz...........forget it, I could not bring myself to watch a bunch of actors with dubious voices ruining a perfectly good stage musical :?

Amour......if you want to crucify your heart WATCH THIS MOVIE. Even the biggest and bravest of you will not be able to hold back the tears. Fantastic! 8)
kylumi
Lifetime Achievement
Keep Calm, I'm British!
Topics: 185
CoverArt: 312
Resources: 4
Medals: 28
2016 September Cover Contest (1)COTM April 2016 (1)2016 February Label Contest (1)COTM 2015 November (1)
2015 November Cover Contest (1)COTM 2015 October (1)2015 October Cover Contest (1)2015 September Cover Contest (1)

Postby Zerkalo » Mar Sat 30, 2013 5:22 pm

Thanks for the comments + support, kylumi. You're a pal.  (H)
Zerkalo
Retired Staff
Topic author

Postby kylumi » Mar Sat 30, 2013 5:31 pm

Hey Zerk m8,

I think what you are doing is immense and serves as being an integral part of EFX for as long as you keep doing it.
I find everything you write and add to your forum most illuminating.
In fact I have purchased movies just because you have rated them highly.
I am going to put an article in next months Newsletter relating to one of the movies you highlighted....maybe even two :)

But I am not saying which movies.......you will have to wait and find out :lol:  :lol:
kylumi
Lifetime Achievement
Keep Calm, I'm British!
Topics: 185
CoverArt: 312
Resources: 4
Medals: 28
2016 September Cover Contest (1)COTM April 2016 (1)2016 February Label Contest (1)COTM 2015 November (1)
2015 November Cover Contest (1)COTM 2015 October (1)2015 October Cover Contest (1)2015 September Cover Contest (1)

Postby Zerkalo » Mar Sat 30, 2013 5:52 pm

Awfully nice of you to say that, ky. It turned out to be more time-consuming than I had initially thought, but I somehow manage it, for now anyway. Luckily, I finish a good deal of my job from home, so that helps. Summer will be somewhat trickier, though.
Zerkalo
Retired Staff
Topic author

Postby ctaulbee » Mar Sat 30, 2013 7:20 pm

I have not seen Les Misérables yet but I plan too :)
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
My Gallery  •  Please leave a vote and short comment if you download my work, thanks.  •  My Criterion Collection
ctaulbee
Super Administrator
Hand Me The Sledgehammer... I'll Fix It!
Topics: 1091
CoverArt: 3412
Resources: 4628
Medals: 56
2021 Cover of The Year (1)COTM March 2021 (1)COTM January 2021 (1)COTM November 2020 (1)
COTM July 2020 (1)COTM February 2020 (1)COTM January 2020 (1)COTM December 2019 (1)

Postby Kellevra » Mar Sun 31, 2013 1:17 pm

Just saw Amour .. I must say .. very touching story !
Kellevra
Design Pro
Just looking around !!
Topics: 81
CoverArt: 287
Resources: 584
Medals: 12
2022 February Cover Contest (1)COTM November 2021 (1)2021 September Cover Contest (1)2021 August Cover Contest (1)
COTM July 2021 (1)COTM June 2021 (1)2020 June Cover Contest (1)Showdown Kellevra def Sk-ar (1)