Current Contest Banner

EFX Subscriptions

The Slippery Soapbox

You have opinions to share and bizarre questions to ask, this is the place for discussions that don't fit any other forum section.

Skyfall (2012)

Postby Zerkalo » Feb Fri 08, 2013 2:59 pm

Skyfall (2012), Sam Mendes

• IMDB.COM: Rating: 7.9 (223,000+ votes); Metascore: 81 (40+ critics)
  • ROTTEN TOMATOES: Tomatometer: 92% (259-282)
  • TOP7 NEWSPAPERS:  88 AVG, three 4-star reviews
    (L. Schwarzbaum, Ent. Weekly; P. Debruge, Variety; R. Ebert, Chicago Sun-Times)

You’ve probably all seen Skyfall by now. You’re also aware that it was both huge box office hit (earning over one billion dollars worldwide) and one of the most critically acclaimed pictures of the year (earning four stars from such distinguished names as Ebert, Debruge, Schwarzbaum, etc.). I won’t debate that. On the contrary: Instead of providing standard piece of review, I’ll state some of the more explicit advantages which combination made the 23rd installment one of the best ever, if not the best. Title: Skyfall, as cool as it gets, named after Ian Fleming’s ancestral Scottish home. Directing: Sam Mendes, Academy Award Winner, the creator of American Beauty and Revolutionary Road, the first big directorial name in the franchise. Screenwriting: John Logan, 3 times Academy Award nominee, the writer of the Gladiator and The Aviator, with a knack for smart spectacles. Cast: Apart from Daniel Craig (never better as James Bond, whose full development of the role Mendes enabled by putting M at the center of the plot), we have Javier Bardem as Bond’s (ultimate) antagonist; flawless Judy Dench in her last role as M, much anticipated intro of Ralph Fiennes as former lieutenant colonel Gareth Mallory and future Head of MI6 (born for the role); Ben Whishaw as young Q and immortal Albert Finney as Kincaid, the housekeeper of Skyfall estate. Cinematography: Roger Deakins, 10 times Academy Award Nominee, close associate of Coen Brothers, also the photographer of such film as Mountains of the Moon and The Assassination of Jesse James. Original score: Thomas Newman, 11 times Academy Award nominee, close associate of Mendes, also the author of soundtracks for The Shaw- shank Redemption and Finding Nemo. Original song: ”Skyfall” by Adele, an Oscar favorite, the best unofficial Bond theme song of all time performed by the greatest young diva in today’s music. And if that isn’t enough, the Cold war spy genre of the Goldfinger origins incorporated elements of modern action greats (Nolan’s Knight, Greengrass’ Bourne) and evolved into a hybrid prototype for every future sequel about Agent 007.

EUPHORICFX GRADE: Image
Zerkalo
Retired Staff
Topic author
Topics: 94

Re: Reviews, Week Five

Postby ctaulbee » Feb Sat 09, 2013 12:18 am

That is an impressive breakdown on Skyfall, in truth I had no idea of all who was involved in the making of the film until now, no joke intended here but had it failed there would have been no hope for any future film projects beyond blind luck based on that, so it's good to see that talented people can still be the deciding factor in creating a successful film.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
My Gallery  •  Please leave a vote and short comment if you download my work, thanks.  •  My Criterion Collection
ctaulbee
Super Administrator
Hand Me The Sledgehammer... I'll Fix It!
Topics: 1091
CoverArt: 3412
Resources: 4628
Medals: 56
2021 Cover of The Year (1)COTM March 2021 (1)COTM January 2021 (1)COTM November 2020 (1)
COTM July 2020 (1)COTM February 2020 (1)COTM January 2020 (1)COTM December 2019 (1)

Postby Zerkalo » Feb Sat 09, 2013 6:45 am

That's true, ctaulbee. I think that, above everything else, the hiring of Sam Mendes was the key for the entire project.
Zerkalo
Retired Staff
Topic author
Topics: 94

Postby ctaulbee » Feb Sat 09, 2013 9:15 am

I had not seen Skyfall until last night, I enjoyed it immensely, I'm not what you would call a serious Bond fan, I do however have all the films on DVD.

I think Skyfall well deserves the four stars and is likely the best 007 film to date, I had no complaints. I liked all aspects of it, I can see why it has sold so many tickets, plus they really in a unique way tied it in to the "Bond Story", really liked them not using a bunch of ridiculous tech gadgets this made for a much better film, we have enough hi-tech nonsense in the Iron Man series (it works there) or other films of that nature, Bond does not need that, he's 007, a double-0 licensed to kill, that's all he needs to do.

:D
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
My Gallery  •  Please leave a vote and short comment if you download my work, thanks.  •  My Criterion Collection
ctaulbee
Super Administrator
Hand Me The Sledgehammer... I'll Fix It!
Topics: 1091
CoverArt: 3412
Resources: 4628
Medals: 56
2021 Cover of The Year (1)COTM March 2021 (1)COTM January 2021 (1)COTM November 2020 (1)
COTM July 2020 (1)COTM February 2020 (1)COTM January 2020 (1)COTM December 2019 (1)

Postby designgestalter » Feb Tue 26, 2013 3:56 am

i like the TRUE James Bond, and i think »Skyfall« is one of the first films ever which are show us this TRUE person.

The only frustration was the intro-design, there are much more genius in the history of James Bond
Default Avatar
designgestalter

Postby allheart30044 » Feb Tue 26, 2013 6:34 pm

I thought Skyfall was quite well done.  I liked the first Craig Bond, Royale, but not so much with Quantum.  This one brought me back into the fold.  It is really interesting to see some of the creative talent behind the movie.
Default Avatar
allheart30044

Postby bankska22 » Mar Mon 04, 2013 4:45 pm

Have not watched much TV as of late but do plan on watching Skyfall. Anything OO7 and I am in. :D
bankska22
#1 Dallas Cowboy's Fan!
Topics: 977
CoverArt: 1917
Resources: 24
Medals: 10
COTM January 2023 (1)2021 April Cover Contest (1)2020 August Cover Contest (1)2020 May Cover Contest (1)
EFX 5K Post Club (1)2019 June Cover Contest (1)COTM March 2019 (1)2014 Action Label Design Comp (1)

Postby TheDude » Mar Thu 07, 2013 5:07 pm

Skyfall was awesome, still wondering did they ever find the hard drive with the secret agents on it?, i thought it was the reason for the whole movie, unless i'm wrong
TheDude
Paragon Member
I'm the Dude, man.
Topics: 8
CoverArt: 34
Resources: 4
Medals: 2
QWAZY Award 2014 (1)EFX Comedian 2013 (1)