Current Contest Banner

EFX Subscriptions

The Slippery Soapbox

You have opinions to share and bizarre questions to ask, this is the place for discussions that don't fit any other forum section.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012)

Postby Zerkalo » Jan Fri 18, 2013 12:50 am

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012), Peter Jackson

• IMDB.COM: Rating: 8.3 (194,000+ votes); Metascore: 58 (40+ critics)
  • ROTTEN TOMATOES: Tomatometer: 65% (166-255)
  • TOP7 NEWSPAPERS:  58 AVG, no 4-star reviews

New Line Cinema needed nine solid years after the last TLOTR part to release The Hobbit: an Unexpected Journey, the first third of The Lord of the Rings prequel. The upcoming trilogy is based on J.R.R. Tolkien’s novel The Hobbit, a 300 pages long book with Shire’s Bilbo Baggins as the main protagonist. It’s not without a purpose that I mentioned the length of the book, for it is one of the more direct problems with this part (as will probably be the case with the other two, respectfully). For so scarce a material, 170 minutes of action are bound to have moments – or the entire scenes – that cannot adeptly justify their existence nor properly show their significance for the main story. At times, An Unexpected Journey behaves so idly on the screen it almost looks like a raw, unedited material. Second, the fire that ignited TLOTR rekindles mainly thanks to our sweeping nostalgia for the latter. The movie feeds of its predecessor – acting sporadically like a parasite – in a way which never would have happened if Guillermo Del Toro hadn’t left as the head of the project. I still think highly of Peter Jackson, don’t get me wrong, but somewhere between The Return of the King and An Unexpected Journey, his drive to create a true epic project morphed into an ambition to achieve spectacular juggernaut series built on past fame and future technology. It’s as if his early 80s inner Spielberg became late 2000s inner Steven. Bigger production and genre experience don’t help the cause here. Nor does the high frame rate of 48 fps.

EUPHORICFX GRADE: Image
Zerkalo
Retired Staff
Topic author
Topics: 94

Re: Reviews, Week Three

Postby ctaulbee » Jan Fri 18, 2013 1:15 am

Excellent summary of The Hobbit, I must sadly concur on all points, another tragedy of cinema I'm afraid.

Flight, I rather enjoyed it but then again I am seldom disappointed in a Denzel project, and yeah he really is that good.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
My Gallery  •  Please leave a vote and short comment if you download my work, thanks.  •  My Criterion Collection
ctaulbee
Super Administrator
Hand Me The Sledgehammer... I'll Fix It!
Topics: 1091
CoverArt: 3412
Resources: 4628
Medals: 56
2021 Cover of The Year (1)COTM March 2021 (1)COTM January 2021 (1)COTM November 2020 (1)
COTM July 2020 (1)COTM February 2020 (1)COTM January 2020 (1)COTM December 2019 (1)

Re: Reviews, Week Three

Postby tristancol » Jan Wed 23, 2013 12:12 pm

I still haven't managed to see either of these, but your review of The Hobbit, unfortunately, seems pretty consistent with everything else that I've read. Let's hope Jackson can get things back on track with the remaining two films (although I've always been of the mind that it should have been 1 film).
tristancol
Lifetime Achievement
Don't Rush Me!
Topics: 368
CoverArt: 2556