Current Contest Banner

EFX Subscriptions

The Slippery Soapbox

You have opinions to share and bizarre questions to ask, this is the place for discussions that don't fit any other forum section.

Keeping External USB Drives Awake

Postby Fogdude » Nov Sat 18, 2017 1:55 pm

Some of you may have external USB drives, like I do. I have several 8TB drives hanging off one machine where I do most of my archiving. I also have 4TB drives on most other machines. Somewhere in the past year, apparently due to a Windows 10 update, Windows started ignoring all system settings regarding the sleep status of external drives. I had every setting available set to never sleep, yet my external USB drives started going into sleep mode after a few minutes of last access. Thus meant that the next time I used any program that needed to bring up a file explorer window, so I could save a file, had to tap the drive & wait for it to wake up. This could take several seconds for each drive. This became extremely tedious. I checked everything repeatedly, rebooted, updated everything I could think of & still the drives would go into sleep mode.

Finally, I googled the right phrase & found a utility that fixes the problem, though it's a brute force solution. MicroSoft refuses to acknowledge the problem at all & insists the settings are incorrect, but when you follow all their advice, you end up in a worse condition, with most of the settings reverted back to default, making all your devices sleep on a set interval. They seem to believe this is desirable & necessary & have no plans to change it.

So, the solution I found is what I'm using & it works. If you've encountered this problem & want a fix, look up KeepAliveHD. It's a small program that runs in the background & writes an empty file to drives you specify, then, optionally, deletes the file. You can set the write interval to whatever you like. It defaults to 7 seconds, but most systems would probably work at 9 or 10 minutes. It just depends on your settings & your hardware.

There are other programs like this out there, but the other one I tried is possibly malware, since it installs itself into a hidden startup registry location & no matter what you do to disable it, keeps reinstalling itself. I had to run CCleaner to get rid of it, though erasing the executable did work, it kept inserting itself into my startup list & then failing. I won't name it as I don't want to send you to it by mistake.

If you need it, get KeepAliveHD. I've been using it on two machines for over a week with no ill effect & it has cleared up the drive lag when accessing them.
Fogdude
VIP Subscriber
If you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
Topic author
Topics: 153
Occupation: Retired IT guy. I was the one looking up from beneath your desk...
Medals: 1
Mr Grumpy 2017 (1)

Re: Keeping External USB Drives Awake

Postby Wrench » Nov Sat 18, 2017 2:27 pm

Thanks Foggy but don't have that issue with Windows 7 and I don't leave my externals docked all the time. I will keep in mind that software if I do ever need it.
Click on Image Below To View My Covers Image

Wrench
EFX Comp Organizer
If It's Not Broke Chewie Will Break it
Topics: 1113
CoverArt: 1735
Resources: 292
Occupation: Retired ASE Auto Tech, Annoy Chewie, Pamie and Sell Computers
Medals: 12
Speling Be Champian 2022 (1)The Immutable One 2021 (1)Most Obnoxious Shouts 2020 (1)EFX Mascot 2020 (1)
Captain Obvious 2019 (1)EFX 5K Post Club (1)2017 March Label Contest (1)EFX ShoutBox Champ 2016 (1)

Postby VincentLupo » Nov Sat 18, 2017 8:24 pm

I do a similar thing with python scripts at work.  I also have one that makes the machine think the mouse is moving to keep the machines from logging off automatically. Stupid IT and there security protocols.  Always having to subvert them.
VincentLupo
The Panda Moderator
Topics: 7
CoverArt: 2
Medals: 3
EFX 5K Post Club (1)Pandapedia Official Founder (1)Official Panda Moderator (1)

Postby Fogdude » Nov Sat 18, 2017 8:27 pm

VincentLupo wrote:I do a similar thing with python scripts at work.  I also have one that makes the machine think the mouse is moving to keep the machines from logging off automatically. Stupid IT and there security protocols.  Always having to subvert them.

Yeah, I found a mouse wiggler proggy, too, but I've never had a problem with that. At least they're still abiding by those settings, so my machines never sleep.
Fogdude
VIP Subscriber
If you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
Topic author
Topics: 153
Occupation: Retired IT guy. I was the one looking up from beneath your desk...
Medals: 1
Mr Grumpy 2017 (1)

Postby jamshedt » Nov Sun 19, 2017 1:34 am

A rather interesting read, thanks Foggy...
jamshedt
Exclusive Resident
Your Desthpicable
Topics: 65
CoverArt: 2221
Occupation: Just a regular guy trying to break the fourth wall !!
Medals: 14
2023 July Cover Contest (1)2021 Best Loser Cover Contest (1)2020 November Cover Contest (1)2020 July Cover Contest (1)
2019 Best Loser Cover Contest (1)2018 October Cover Contest (1)2018 Best Loser Cover Contest (1)2017 Design Merit Contest (1)

Postby chouette » Nov Sun 19, 2017 2:05 am

:cutethumb
chouette
Site Moderator
In my defense, I was left unsupervised.
Topics: 281
CoverArt: 6499
Resources: 284
Medals: 18
EFX ShoutBox Champ 2022 (1)2023 January Cover Contest (1)15,000 Downloads (1)EFX ShoutBox Champ 2021 (1)
EFX ShoutBox Champ 2020 (1)EFX Camp Counselor 2020 (1)EFX ShoutBox Champ 2019 (1)Contributor Of The Year 2019 (1)

Postby topmeasure » Nov Sun 19, 2017 7:36 am

Thanks Foggy, I will definetely take a look at the software. :-)
topmeasure
Forum Director
I Give You One Like!
Topics: 833
CoverArt: 675
Resources: 12
Medals: 6
EFX Forum Champ 2022 (1)EFX Forum Champ 2021 (1)EFX Froum Champ 2020 (1)EFX 5K Post Club (1)
EFX Froum Champ 2019 (1)EFX Froum Champ 2018 (1)

Postby sauron » Nov Sun 19, 2017 2:40 pm

Interesting! I haven't the need for it but if I were to in the future I now know what software to use :)
sauron
VIP Subscriber
Build me a cover worthy of Mordor.
Topics: 7
CoverArt: 27
Resources: 9

Return to The Slippery Soapbox