Current Contest Banner

EFX Subscriptions

The Slippery Soapbox

You have opinions to share and bizarre questions to ask, this is the place for discussions that don't fit any other forum section.

Personal Poetry

Postby Fogdude » Jun Wed 14, 2017 4:36 pm

Having just won the Mr. Grumpy award for 2017, I thought I might share something rather embarrassing from my teens. More of us than will admit that, at one time or another, in our life, we wrote a piece of poetry. I went though a phase like that. One of my younger brothers is going through that phase right now. He always was a bit slow on the uptake. Anyway, I also dabbled with the guitar, around this same time & wrote several songs that I also developed lyrics for.

Below is one I did that, for some reason, came to mind just yesterday. I have no idea why. It's not written down anywhere (except now). I just recalled it.

Try to imagine it being sung by Donovan. It's not to a tune you'll recognize, but the tempo should give you an idea how it went. I never recorded it, or even wrote down the lyrics. Maybe some of you have similar little embarrassments like this you could share?

I am exposing myself here (figuratively) so I expect I'll get some snarky comments. That's fine. Have at it. But those who throw stones...

Small wind blow
Leaf fall down
Reflection grow
Round & Round

Sky kiss Earth
Bird kiss sea
All have kiss
But me

Little boy grow up
To be a man
Everyone say
They are his friend

Never give
Always take
Being born
First mistake

God moves in
God moves out
All life is
Roundabout

Never know
Reason why
Must be why
I cry

Little boy grow up
To be a man
Everyone say
They are his friend

Never give
Always take
Being born
First mistake

Being born
First mistake
Fogdude
VIP Subscriber
If you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
Topic author
Topics: 153
Occupation: Retired IT guy. I was the one looking up from beneath your desk...
Medals: 1
Mr Grumpy 2017 (1)

Re: Personal Poetry

Postby Wrench » Jun Wed 14, 2017 5:09 pm

Keep your day job :D
Click on Image Below To View My Covers Image

Wrench
EFX Comp Organizer
If It's Not Broke Chewie Will Break it
Topics: 1113
CoverArt: 1735
Resources: 292
Occupation: Retired ASE Auto Tech, Annoy Chewie, Pamie and Sell Computers
Medals: 12
Speling Be Champian 2022 (1)The Immutable One 2021 (1)Most Obnoxious Shouts 2020 (1)EFX Mascot 2020 (1)
Captain Obvious 2019 (1)EFX 5K Post Club (1)2017 March Label Contest (1)EFX ShoutBox Champ 2016 (1)

Postby ctaulbee » Jun Wed 14, 2017 6:00 pm

Fogdude wrote:I am exposing myself here...

Boy that line right there gave me a terrible scare  :-&
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
My Gallery  •  Please leave a vote and short comment if you download my work, thanks.  •  My Criterion Collection
ctaulbee
Super Administrator
Hand Me The Sledgehammer... I'll Fix It!
Topics: 1091
CoverArt: 3412
Resources: 4628
Medals: 56
2021 Cover of The Year (1)COTM March 2021 (1)COTM January 2021 (1)COTM November 2020 (1)
COTM July 2020 (1)COTM February 2020 (1)COTM January 2020 (1)COTM December 2019 (1)

Postby chouette » Jun Wed 14, 2017 6:03 pm

Well, that's not bad at all. And the good part of it all is that you can keep your day job and create more like these...

;~)

Now, my question is... How did you win the Mr. Grumpy award for 2017?

:lol:
chouette
Site Moderator
In my defense, I was left unsupervised.
Topics: 281
CoverArt: 6499
Resources: 284
Medals: 18
EFX ShoutBox Champ 2022 (1)2023 January Cover Contest (1)15,000 Downloads (1)EFX ShoutBox Champ 2021 (1)
EFX ShoutBox Champ 2020 (1)EFX Camp Counselor 2020 (1)EFX ShoutBox Champ 2019 (1)Contributor Of The Year 2019 (1)

Postby Fogdude » Jun Wed 14, 2017 6:58 pm

Well, as I said, I did that as a teenager. I believe I was 17 when I wrote that. I haven't written any since & don't expect to ever do so again.

As to the Mr. Grumpy Award, that was bestowed after my little rant in the 'what are you listening to' thread. I would have removed it, but by the time Curt chewed me out about it, several people had already quoted it, including the maestro, himself, so we opted to just let it die a withering death.

Thanks for making me revive it!
:-l
Fogdude
VIP Subscriber
Topic author
Mr Grumpy 2017 (1)

Postby chouette » Jun Wed 14, 2017 9:14 pm

My pleasure, what are friends for anyway right? lol - But to be fair, you got yourself a cool medal. Not as cool as my little Canadian owl, but still...

:lol:
chouette
Site Moderator
In my defense, I was left unsupervised.
Topics: 281
CoverArt: 6499
Resources: 284
Medals: 18
EFX ShoutBox Champ 2022 (1)2023 January Cover Contest (1)15,000 Downloads (1)EFX ShoutBox Champ 2021 (1)
EFX ShoutBox Champ 2020 (1)EFX Camp Counselor 2020 (1)EFX ShoutBox Champ 2019 (1)Contributor Of The Year 2019 (1)

Postby alienmem » Jun Thu 15, 2017 6:47 am

Yeah but my medal says genius man!! Can' beat that!!! lolol

BTW, you're poetry for a 17 year old is nothing to be ashamed of.
it clearly relfects what goes on in teenage years.

Actually I write a lot. I write every single day on my little pocket notebook stuff that I wanna make into a novel.

I could post some if you guys like but most stuff is jokes tha have a lot of curse words...but some aren't Just let me know and I'll expose myself maybe more than Fog :)
alienmem
VIP Subscriber
I'm in a transitional period
Topics: 87
CoverArt: 122
Medals: 2
Wile E. Coyote Genius 2017 (1)Showdown Alienmem def Jamshedt (1)

Postby Fogdude » Jun Thu 15, 2017 7:04 am

alienmem wrote:Yeah but my medal says genius man!! Can' beat that!!! lolol

Actually I write a lot. I write every single day on my little pocket notebook stuff that I wanna make into a novel.

I could post some if you guys like but most stuff is jokes tha have a lot of curse words...but some aren't Just let me know and I'll expose myself maybe more than Fog :)

I guess you'll just have to post some, if you want to & we'll have to decide if it's too vulgar for public consumption, huh?

I've yet to come to an appreciation of why so many younger folks are so taken with verbal vulgarity. It's never an indicator of intellect, skill, or prowess with language, quite the opposite. Not that I don't use vulgarity every day, myself, but it's common, crass, & a form of mental laziness, as far as I'm concerned. Before it became standard practice for standup comedians, it had some slight comedic value, because comedy depends on surprise. That's what makes you laugh out loud when you hear or see something funny. It's the surprise, or sometimes, shock, that delivers the humorous mental image that we think of as a good joke. But when foul language became routine, it lost that value. It was a cheap route to eliciting a laugh from an audience, at best, but it did work, for a short time.

Once again, sorry for the rant. It's very early & I have a long day ahead.
:D
Fogdude
VIP Subscriber
Topic author
Mr Grumpy 2017 (1)

Postby alienmem » Jun Thu 15, 2017 7:25 am

Fogdude wrote:
alienmem wrote:Yeah but my medal says genius man!! Can' beat that!!! lolol

I guess you'll just have to post some, if you want to & we'll have to decide if it's too vulgar for public consumption, huh?

I've yet to come to an appreciation of why so many younger folks are so taken with verbal vulgarity. It's never an indicator of intellect, skill, or prowess with language, quite the opposite. Not that I don't use vulgarity every day, myself, but it's common, crass, & a form of mental laziness, as far as I'm concerned. Before it became standard practice for standup comedians, it had some slight comedic value, because comedy depends on surprise. That's what makes you laugh out loud when you hear or see something funny. It's the surprise, or sometimes, shock, that delivers the humorous mental image that we think of as a good joke. But when foul language became routine, it lost that value. It was a cheap route to eliciting a laugh from an audience, at best, but it did work, for a short time.

Once again, sorry for the rant. It's very early & I have a long day ahead.
:D

That's why I did say I usually write jokes although in real life somtimes a curse word comes out every one in a while. But it's not like i regurgitate foul language or recite it.

i agree. I think the common practise of it came from TV. Rap and comedy I think played a huge part in accepting vulgar language (even vulgar language objectifying women is common now). I think it's not a question of being lazy. It's a cultural question. Kids see it on tv as mainstream since they are babies so they come to acdept it and think it's cool.

What was for you, a long time ago, appropriate behaviour and being a standup person is different now and will be different in 50 and 100 and 200 years from now. Some say it's better. Some say it's worse. I dunno. There can be made a case for both.

But I agree on the foul mouths running around on tv all the time.

PS. i'll post some of my stuff. Little by little if people like it. My intention is to make a book but right now It's only ideas. ideas that come at night in my sleep, when i see something in the streets or anywhere.

I have a vampire theory that I think is very cool.
Maybe I'll post that first
alienmem
VIP Subscriber

Postby ctaulbee » Jun Thu 15, 2017 7:57 am

alienmem wrote:I have a vampire theory that I think is very cool.

Have you captured one alive, if so do you have pictures...  :D
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
My Gallery  •  Please leave a vote and short comment if you download my work, thanks.  •  My Criterion Collection
ctaulbee
Super Administrator
Hand Me The Sledgehammer... I'll Fix It!
Topics: 1091
CoverArt: 3412
Resources: 4628
Medals: 56
2021 Cover of The Year (1)COTM March 2021 (1)COTM January 2021 (1)COTM November 2020 (1)
COTM July 2020 (1)COTM February 2020 (1)COTM January 2020 (1)COTM December 2019 (1)

Postby alienmem » Jun Thu 15, 2017 8:01 am

ctaulbee wrote:
alienmem wrote:I have a vampire theory that I think is very cool.

Have you captured one alive, if so do you have pictures...  :D

wait and see. maybe I'll post some stuff today.

i know you're curious!!! i was born curios as well!!!  ;)
alienmem
VIP Subscriber

Return to The Slippery Soapbox