Current Contest Banner

EFX Subscriptions

The Slippery Soapbox

You have opinions to share and bizarre questions to ask, this is the place for discussions that don't fit any other forum section.

Re: The OFFICIAL SPORTS thread

Postby ctaulbee » Nov Sat 10, 2018 11:46 am

Celtics  :0omg:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
My Gallery  •  Please leave a vote and short comment if you download my work, thanks.  •  My Criterion Collection
ctaulbee
Super Administrator
Hand Me The Sledgehammer... I'll Fix It!
Topic author
Topics: 1091
CoverArt: 3412
Resources: 4628
Medals: 56
2021 Cover of The Year (1)COTM March 2021 (1)COTM January 2021 (1)COTM November 2020 (1)
COTM July 2020 (1)COTM February 2020 (1)COTM January 2020 (1)COTM December 2019 (1)

Postby alienmem » Nov Sat 10, 2018 12:11 pm

ctaulbee wrote:Celtics  :0omg:

Celtics are warming up. Irving didn't play last night so that was key. Hayward is still getting in shape. It's going to take a while until everything starts falling into place. Come playoff time I hope we'll fly.
alienmem
VIP Subscriber
I'm in a transitional period
Topics: 87
CoverArt: 122
Medals: 2
Wile E. Coyote Genius 2017 (1)Showdown Alienmem def Jamshedt (1)

Postby alienmem » Nov Mon 19, 2018 7:44 am

Are you ready? Are you ready? Let's get ready to rumble!

alienmem
VIP Subscriber

Postby topmeasure » Nov Mon 19, 2018 3:40 pm

This should be a good one, my money is on the Rams.
topmeasure
Forum Director
I Give You One Like!
Topics: 827
CoverArt: 675
Resources: 9
Medals: 6
EFX Forum Champ 2022 (1)EFX Forum Champ 2021 (1)EFX Froum Champ 2020 (1)EFX 5K Post Club (1)
EFX Froum Champ 2019 (1)EFX Froum Champ 2018 (1)

Postby ctaulbee » Nov Mon 19, 2018 3:42 pm

That's the game of the week right there :-$
My Gallery  •  Please leave a vote and short comment if you download my work, thanks.  •  My Criterion Collection
ctaulbee
Super Administrator
Topic author
2021 Cover of The Year (1)COTM March 2021 (1)COTM January 2021 (1)COTM November 2020 (1)
COTM July 2020 (1)COTM February 2020 (1)COTM January 2020 (1)COTM December 2019 (1)

Postby ctaulbee » Nov Mon 19, 2018 3:51 pm

topmeasure wrote:This should be a good one, my money is on the Rams.

The only thing that will keep the Rams from winning is losing...  ;)
ctaulbee
Super Administrator
Topic author

Postby topmeasure » Nov Mon 19, 2018 3:55 pm

That is a fair assesment CT. :D
topmeasure
Forum Director
I Give You One Like!
EFX Forum Champ 2022 (1)EFX Forum Champ 2021 (1)EFX Froum Champ 2020 (1)EFX 5K Post Club (1)

Postby ctaulbee » Nov Mon 19, 2018 5:01 pm

I strive for accuracy... ;)
ctaulbee
Super Administrator
Topic author

Postby alienmem » Nov Mon 19, 2018 5:33 pm

I think Kansas City has a better team. I'm betting the combo Mahomes-Tyreek Hill will tear down the Rams defense.

But it'll be a good one. I'm looking at the schedule and sorry C, but I see the Steelers have some difficult games in theory. I'm still hoping my Pats can finish at least number 2 in the season. If the Chiefs lose today even better.

That being said at this point in time the Saints look unstoppable. If they have no decline in form. No injuries they're just rolling on all cylinders.
alienmem
VIP Subscriber

Postby ctaulbee » Nov Mon 19, 2018 5:39 pm

I know it's been a tough go for both teams this year.

The Steelers played terrible Sun even though they won, it was a ugly win.

Mike Tomlin said it best "Our business is winning and we took care of business, style points were quite ugly or few but we got the job done."

The Saints are the team with the most right now, they have talent and experience, that's a powerful combo come playoffs provided that don't have injuries.
ctaulbee
Super Administrator
Topic author

Postby alienmem » Nov Mon 19, 2018 5:47 pm

We're having problems away from home. It's such a short season that 2, 3 losses can make or break a superbowl run. We're not even close to the Saints, Chiefs and I'd probably say the Rams are probably looking like the third best team.

Lots of commentators(I watch those programs a lot) have already dismissed the Patriots as a real superbowl contender. Maybe they're right. But I remember the same guys making Pittsburgh's bed at like week 5 and now even though they might night be gliding through matched they're on a roll.

What do you guys think are the favorites and looking at the remaining schedule who has the better chanes. I'm feeling the Saints but last year they were heavily favored and I beliieve lost in the wildcard round against the Vikings. It's difficult to win in the NFL consistenly so these are just conjectures
alienmem
VIP Subscriber

Postby ctaulbee » Nov Mon 19, 2018 5:50 pm

Poor Eagles are looking more and more like a one hit, more luck than talent or skill team.

I don't think Wentz was a unstoppable as everyone (insert snickers here) thought last year.

Where are all the Eagle fans this year, I hear nothing but crickets...

That's what happens to new NFL QB's they seem to have it when no one knows how they play but give the rest of the league a little time and film to study, then see how they do, that's how they separate the men from the boys in the NFL.

A lesson Mahomes is yet to learn I'm afraid, I know he looks like the "golden boy" right now wait until they dissect him and then build defenses just for him, that's when we will see if he has the right stuff to actually last in the NFL.
ctaulbee
Super Administrator
Topic author

Postby ctaulbee » Nov Mon 19, 2018 6:11 pm

I'll tell you a secret about commentators, they are rarely right lmao.

They mostly stick to reporting what has happened and tracking stats, then they issue best guesses "statistically" for current games based on history and those stats... lol.

When they break out the old crystal ball and venture into long range prediction territory, well they generally go fairly well astray of accuracy.

No one can predict much until the playoffs get here, for example the Rams could lose Gurley for the season in Week 16, do you really think they or any other team can honestly have the same odds given the loss of their best player, of course not, season record be dammed after that lol.

So we will see who is still standing at the end and then we can try to guess but really any team that gets in, can win any game given the right set of events happening, that is the problem with single game title decisions and why the NBA and MLB teams play best of sevens.

In football that would be half a season not gonna happen, so it is what it is, and what it is 99% of the time, is unpredictable.

Hell the Eagles won last year for example, who would have (seriously) predicted that before the first snap was played last season, no one that's who... lol.
ctaulbee
Super Administrator
Topic author

Postby alienmem » Nov Mon 19, 2018 7:02 pm

Yeah. It takes one key player to bring down a whole team.

I think the Eagles problem is that they aren't used to winning. Last year they won based on their defense. When you don't have that winning mentality and you suddenly win you don't know how to handle it. Players lack focus. Start thinking about contracts, sponsorships, money. They start thinking about the title defense way too late and that's what happens when you defend a title. Eveyone is coming for you and it's diffcult to win but defending a championship is even harder. There's a reason why the Patriots, the Steelers, the Cowsboys(although they've been slacking) and legacy teams are always winning. It's not by chance.
alienmem
VIP Subscriber

Postby ctaulbee » Nov Mon 19, 2018 9:09 pm

You're right, I personally don't think they expected to even make the playoffs last year, much less win, it just happened that a lot of things fell their way, even more so after Wentz was hurt.

So the whole winning mentality was honestly probably never even there, they were just happy to be winning and were simply riding the wave...

Plus in my opinion it's a lot easier to perform well when no one expects crap from you, than if your are expected to play at a high level and make miracles happen weekly.

Which is where those legacy teams always find themselves, directly behind the eight ball lol.
ctaulbee
Super Administrator
Topic author

Postby topmeasure » Nov Tue 20, 2018 1:04 am

That was one hell of a game.
topmeasure
Forum Director
I Give You One Like!

Postby ctaulbee » Nov Tue 20, 2018 1:25 am

Sure was :-$
ctaulbee
Super Administrator
Topic author

Postby alienmem » Nov Tue 20, 2018 8:46 am

I still believe Kansas is the better team. They lost by a field goal on the road. In a neutral ground things would be different. Well, maybe. Great game it was indeed
alienmem
VIP Subscriber

Postby ctaulbee » Nov Tue 20, 2018 12:42 pm

Did you watch the game?

If you did then you would know the only reason is was that close was some very "lucky" breaks KC got, not that they did not play well but they would have lost by at least two touchdowns had some luck not fell their way, they trailed by several points most of the game...

Luck won't sustain you in the NFL that has been my whole thing with Mahomes no one seems to notice these things or they would rather see the silver lining rather than what created it.

For example he did some sloppy ball protection last night that led to two turnovers and he then threw several picks, something he has managed to avoid up until this point in the season which is why he has looked so good on numbers.

Take that long touchdown throw to Hill he made had the guy guarding Hill not slipped and fallen, that don't happen and that was just one of many things the sport commentators leave off highlight reels and never speak of...

Carson Wentz was Patrick Mahomes last year, look at him this year, just saying.

IMO if the Chiefs fail to pull down a big win this year the window will close on them and it will be many times harder next year to get those kind of wins, for one the luck will not last.

We will see if I'm right but I have been following this game for a lot of years now and I see the difference between real talent and lucky plays winning games, in the end real talent always prevails long term...
ctaulbee
Super Administrator
Topic author

Postby alienmem » Nov Wed 21, 2018 8:31 am

Ok, I'm not playing devil's advocate here. I'm glad Kansas lost because in theory it benefits my team, the Patriots. It benefits your team.

But they have a great team. It isn't only luck. The 2 losses they have is at Foxborough, where rarely no one ever defeats the Patriots, no matter how they are form-wise, and the second against the Rams, a top caliber team that everyone recognizes as being one of the top 3 in form teams of the league as of now, the others being the Saints and Kansas.

I'm not saying Kansas is the next best thing. I just think they lost two games on the road against two teams where they weren't favorites and in both, the result, lucky or not, was very tight.

Let's see what happens. I hope the Patriots can end top 2. I'll take a look at the remaining schedule and post my thoughts here on how things could pan out so we can discuss it
alienmem
VIP Subscriber

Postby alienmem » Nov Wed 21, 2018 5:31 pm

Best record Teams in the AFC(NFC not contemplated here):
Kansas City Chiefs       9-2
Pittsburgh Steelers       7-2-1
LA Chargers                 7-3
Houston texans             7-3
New England Patriots    7-3

Remaining matches for said teams:
Week 12
    Kansas City Chiefs Bye    
    Pittsburgh Steelers at Denver Broncos
    LA Chargers receive Arizona Cardinals
    Houston Texans receive Tennessee Titans
    New England Patriots vistit the Jets
Week 13
    Kansas City Chiefs at Raiders      
    Pittsburgh Steelers receive Chargers
    LA Chargers See above
    Houston Texans receive Browns
    New England Patriots receive Vikings
Week 14
    Kansas City Chiefs receive the Ravens
    Pittsburgh Steelers visit Raiders
    LA Chargers receive the Bengals
    Houston texans receive the Colts
    New England Patriots visit Miami

Week 15
    Kansas City Chiefs receive the Chargers     
    Pittsburgh Steelers receive the Patriots
    LA Chargers see above
    Houston Texans visit the Jets
    New England Patriots see above

Week 16
    Kansas City Chiefs  visit the Seahawks  
    Pittsburgh Steelers visit the Saints
    LA Chargers receive the Ravens
    Houston texans visit the Eagles
    New England Patriots receive Buffalo
week 17
    Kansas City Chiefs receive Raiders   
    Pittsburgh Steelers host the Bengals       
    LA Chargers visit the Denver Brocnos               
    Houston Texans receive Jaguars            
    New England Patriots host the Jets

How do you see this pan out? Thoughts?
alienmem
VIP Subscriber

Postby ctaulbee » Nov Wed 21, 2018 5:38 pm

Yup we have a lot of tough games ahead...
ctaulbee
Super Administrator
Topic author

Postby Wrench » Dec Mon 03, 2018 12:58 am

Steelers lose a nail biter :D  Sorry CT
Click on Image Below To View My Covers Image

Wrench
EFX Comp Organizer
If It's Not Broke Chewie Will Break it
Topics: 1109
CoverArt: 1735
Resources: 292
Occupation: Retired ASE Auto Tech, Annoy Chewie, Pamie and Sell Computers
Medals: 12
Speling Be Champian 2022 (1)The Immutable One 2021 (1)Most Obnoxious Shouts 2020 (1)EFX Mascot 2020 (1)
Captain Obvious 2019 (1)EFX 5K Post Club (1)2017 March Label Contest (1)EFX ShoutBox Champ 2016 (1)

Postby ctaulbee » Dec Mon 03, 2018 12:59 am

Yup they beat themselves again... that injury to Connor might be a problem rest of the season anyway.
ctaulbee
Super Administrator
Topic author

Postby alienmem » Dec Mon 03, 2018 9:34 am

It wasn't a good birthday present but I hope you had a good one C.
alienmem
VIP Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to The Slippery Soapbox