Current Contest Banner

EFX Subscriptions

The Slippery Soapbox

You have opinions to share and bizarre questions to ask, this is the place for discussions that don't fit any other forum section.

External Font Manager. Opinions

Postby alienmem » Apr Mon 17, 2017 3:28 pm

I've never used an external font manager. I just install the fonts directly to windows, which some say slows it down tremendously. Probably, I dunno.

My question is what program do you use. is it really useful? And finally I presume there's no need to have the fonts at all, or do you have to have the fonts somewhere? On you HD?

Also, I some while ago think I heard Ctaulbee saying he has no files whasoever on his computer. That he stores everything in a cloud(whatever it may be. drop box, google drive or whatever). But can you work on the files directly from the cloud? Don't you have to download the stuff you need to your HD and work from there?

Sorry for the questions. I'm not informed
alienmem
VIP Subscriber
I'm in a transitional period
Topic author
Topics: 87
CoverArt: 122
Medals: 2
Wile E. Coyote Genius 2017 (1)Showdown Alienmem def Jamshedt (1)

Re: External Font Manager. Opinions

Postby ctaulbee » Apr Mon 17, 2017 4:08 pm

Not me, I store only a few select items on the cloud, the bulk of my files are local or on external drives. I do store large amounts of resources in the cloud, so I don't waste my space but that is it, none of my personal files make it to the cloud.

I use NexusFont as my font manager because it's free and I don't use it very much mostly just to remove fonts.

I'll warn you now you can really screw up windows by removing fonts at random that "you think" are not needed and windows will likely not be able to fix it for you, just condsier yourself forewarned if you intend to remove fonts.

For adding fonts I just use windows install from right click, a font manager can't do it any better lol.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
My Gallery  •  Please leave a vote and short comment if you download my work, thanks.  •  My Criterion Collection
ctaulbee
Super Administrator
Hand Me The Sledgehammer... I'll Fix It!
Topics: 1091
CoverArt: 3412
Resources: 4628
Medals: 56
2021 Cover of The Year (1)COTM March 2021 (1)COTM January 2021 (1)COTM November 2020 (1)
COTM July 2020 (1)COTM February 2020 (1)COTM January 2020 (1)COTM December 2019 (1)

Postby alienmem » Apr Mon 17, 2017 6:30 pm

ctaulbee wrote:Not me, I store only a few select items on the cloud, the bulk of my files are local or on external drives. I do store large amounts of resources in the cloud, so I don't waste my space but that is it, none of my personal files make it to the cloud.

I use NexusFont as my font manager because it's free and I don't use it very much mostly just to remove fonts.

I'll warn you now you can really screw up windows by removing fonts at random that "you think" are not needed and windows will likely not be able to fix it for you, just condsier yourself forewarned if you intend to remove fonts.

For adding fonts I just use windows install from right click, a font manager can't do it any better lol.

I never remove fonts. that's it. I dunno what fonts the system needs or not. So is that fontmanager useful if you only use it to remove fonts? Is removing fonts just going to the font folder and deleting the font type file. Or does installing the font creat additional stuff?

That font program you use notifies you if the system needs that particular font you're removing?

I'm gonna put everything in my external drive and only work from there. I have a external 500 gb external drive.
alienmem
VIP Subscriber
I'm in a transitional period
Topic author
Topics: 87
CoverArt: 122
Medals: 2
Wile E. Coyote Genius 2017 (1)Showdown Alienmem def Jamshedt (1)

Postby Fogdude » Apr Mon 17, 2017 7:06 pm

The safest way that I know of to remove fonts is to go to Control Panel, Fonts & remove them there. Just right click the font & select DELETE. From what I've seen Windows 10 won't let you delete system fonts or fonts the system is dependent on, unlike earlier versions of Windows. I know this because I've fallen into that trap before & paid for it, but when I attempted the same on a WIn10 system, it denied delete access to those files. There are  a whole lot of system fonts you'll probably never use, BTW, but you won't be allowed to delete them.

Yes, adding a lot of fonts slows down Windows a LOT because it loads all the fonts when you start Windows. So, it slows down loading time AND it uses up a lot of RAM. Removing fonts you installed yourself is never a problem.
Fogdude
VIP Subscriber
If you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
Topics: 153
Occupation: Retired IT guy. I was the one looking up from beneath your desk...
Medals: 1
Mr Grumpy 2017 (1)

Postby ctaulbee » Apr Mon 17, 2017 7:47 pm

alienmem wrote:That font program you use notifies you if the system needs that particular font you're removing?

No, but it does allow easy ways to group and backup files when you remove them, not however by default.

If you don't plan to remove fonts, I can't imagine what real use you have for a font manager unless you have a huge collection of fonts you need to browse previews on.

I have a huge amount, they are all on their own external drive and very well organized yet I still find little use in browsing them, there are just too many for that.

Something you might find useful is a Font Re-Naming Utility, if you download fonts from the web because many are not what they are presented to be. The real font name is hard coded inside the font, the file name may or may not be what it is, many fake font sites re-name the files of "similar" fonts so they appear to be what a person is wanting, especially on expensive fonts that are hard to get.

By running a Font Re-Naming Utility on downloaded fonts before you install them it will change the filename to the real name of the font, stored inside the file itself. There are other more elaborate, harder to detect ways of creating fake fonts but those who do that generally are selling them illegally.

;)
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
My Gallery  •  Please leave a vote and short comment if you download my work, thanks.  •  My Criterion Collection
ctaulbee
Super Administrator
Hand Me The Sledgehammer... I'll Fix It!
Topics: 1091
CoverArt: 3412
Resources: 4628
Medals: 56
2021 Cover of The Year (1)COTM March 2021 (1)COTM January 2021 (1)COTM November 2020 (1)
COTM July 2020 (1)COTM February 2020 (1)COTM January 2020 (1)COTM December 2019 (1)

Postby topmeasure » Apr Mon 17, 2017 11:38 pm

I store all my files on external drives well organized, don't bother with Windows font, no reason to and the fonts I have are on their own external drive with PS tools.
topmeasure
Forum Director
I Give You One Like!
Topics: 833
CoverArt: 675
Resources: 12
Medals: 6
EFX Forum Champ 2022 (1)EFX Forum Champ 2021 (1)EFX Froum Champ 2020 (1)EFX 5K Post Club (1)
EFX Froum Champ 2019 (1)EFX Froum Champ 2018 (1)

Return to The Slippery Soapbox