Current Contest Banner

EFX Subscriptions

The Slippery Soapbox

You have opinions to share and bizarre questions to ask, this is the place for discussions that don't fit any other forum section.

Issues with Skype for Windows

Postby Fogdude » Oct Fri 28, 2016 4:07 pm

I've been having increasingly irritating problems with Skype for months. It got worse with the advent of Win10.

As it turns out, the problems may be less to do with Skype itself than with some remediation techniques I implemented when I upgraded to Win10.

In particular, I discovered, by accident, that I could no longer issue Skype commands in the chat window. It's always wise to check to see if your Skype account has been compromised b y issuing the /showplaces command in the chat window. If you get back a response that you have only one endpoint, you're probably fine. It means your current session is the only one using your account, at the moment. If, however, you are certain you're only using Skype from your current machine & it reports more than one endpoint, it's pretty certain someone else is logging in to your account & is using it without your knowledge. I have seen this happen to several people.

Anyway, not being able to do this was of significant concern. Instead of getting the expected response, I was getting MSNP: Connection OFFLINE as a response. I had never seen that before.

After some checking, I found out that this happens when your system can no longer connect to certain MicroSoft services that Skype is apparently dependent on. A partial list is:

0.0.0.0 ui.skype.com
0.0.0.0 pricelist.skype.com
0.0.0.0 apps.skype.com
0.0.0.0 m.hotmail.com
0.0.0.0 s.gateway.messenger.live.com

The above is a portion of my Hosts file that had been modified by the SpyBot Anti-Beacon program I had configured to stop my local services from communicating private information back to MicroSoft.

Even editing these entries out of my Hosts file & rebooting didn't correct the problem, though MANY reported this was all they needed to do to restore full Skype functionality.

As it happened, I eventually gave up trying to track down just the right entries & simply undid the Anti-Beacon settings & manually removed ALL the Anti-Beacon entries in Hosts, rebooted & VOILA! My Skype now respond to chat commands normally.

I have yet to attempt text messages or file transfers, which had also been consistently failing. I will be doing so shortly & will report back. Given how much I use & depend on Skype, I don't believe I'll be reinstating the Anti-Beacon settings any time soon.

The good news is, I still have Cortana completely disabled & none of the adjustments affected that & Cortana isn't apparently needed for Skype to function.

Fogdude
VIP Subscriber
If you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
Topic author
Topics: 153
Occupation: Retired IT guy. I was the one looking up from beneath your desk...
Medals: 1
Mr Grumpy 2017 (1)

Re: Issues with Skype for Windows

Postby ctaulbee » Oct Fri 28, 2016 4:20 pm

Fogdude wrote:The good news is, I still have Cortana completely disabled & none of the adjustments affected that & Cortana isn't apparently needed for Skype to function.

Well not yet anyway...   :-O
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
My Gallery  •  Please leave a vote and short comment if you download my work, thanks.  •  My Criterion Collection
ctaulbee
Super Administrator
Hand Me The Sledgehammer... I'll Fix It!
Topics: 1091
CoverArt: 3412
Resources: 4628
Medals: 56
2021 Cover of The Year (1)COTM March 2021 (1)COTM January 2021 (1)COTM November 2020 (1)
COTM July 2020 (1)COTM February 2020 (1)COTM January 2020 (1)COTM December 2019 (1)

Postby VincentLupo » Oct Sat 29, 2016 12:54 am

Good luck Fog.  I hope you can keep working around the system.
VincentLupo
The Panda Moderator
Topics: 7
CoverArt: 2
Medals: 3
EFX 5K Post Club (1)Pandapedia Official Founder (1)Official Panda Moderator (1)

Postby Fogdude » Oct Sat 29, 2016 7:10 am

VincentLupo wrote:Good luck Fog.  I hope you can keep working around the system.

I'm gonna need it, Vince. They've got their claws sunk in deeper than a wood tick. I already had to give up my main defense in Spybot Anti-beacon.

BTW, it's not just limited to that one program. ANY of the utilities out here that perform the same service will have the same effect on Skype, since they all do essentially the same thing with the Hosts file & Registry entries.

Like CT said, it's probably just a matter of time on Cortana, since it's their primary vehicle for snooping & phoning home.

:-O
Fogdude
VIP Subscriber
Topic author
Mr Grumpy 2017 (1)

Postby Fogdude » Oct Sat 29, 2016 1:27 pm

For those of you who have used, or are thinking of using, SpyBot Anti-Beacon, I'm including below the entire list of all the entries it puts into your HOSTS file when you turn off EVERYTHING. If you want to lose your lunch, check out how many entries there are for NSA related sites: Most of them start with VORTEX.

# Start of entries inserted by Spybot Anti-Beacon for Windows 10
0.0.0.0        choice.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0        choice.microsoft.com.nstac.net
0.0.0.0        df.telemetry.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0        oca.telemetry.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0        oca.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
0.0.0.0        redir.metaservices.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0        reports.wes.df.telemetry.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0        services.wes.df.telemetry.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0        settings-sandbox.data.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0        settings-win.data.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0        sqm.df.telemetry.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0        sqm.telemetry.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0        sqm.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
0.0.0.0        telecommand.telemetry.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0        telecommand.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
0.0.0.0        telemetry.appex.bing.net
0.0.0.0        telemetry.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0        telemetry.urs.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0        vortex-sandbox.data.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0        vortex-win.data.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0        vortex.data.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0        watson.telemetry.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0        watson.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
0.0.0.0        watson.ppe.telemetry.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0        wes.df.telemetry.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0        vortex-bn2.metron.live.com.nsatc.net
0.0.0.0        vortex-cy2.metron.live.com.nsatc.net
0.0.0.0        watson.live.com
0.0.0.0        watson.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0        feedback.search.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0        feedback.windows.com
0.0.0.0        corp.sts.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0        diagnostics.support.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0        i1.services.social.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0        i1.services.social.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
0.0.0.0        vortex-bn2.metron.live.com.nsatc.net
0.0.0.0        vortex-cy2.metron.live.com.nsatc.net
# This list is Copyright 2000-2015 Safer-Networking Ltd.
# End of entries inserted by Spybot Anti-Beacon for Windows 10
# Start of entries inserted by Spybot Anti-Beacon for Windows 10 Optional
0.0.0.0        a.ads1.msn.com
0.0.0.0        a.ads2.msads.net
0.0.0.0        a.ads2.msn.com
0.0.0.0        a.rad.msn.com
0.0.0.0        a-0001.a-msedge.net
0.0.0.0        a-0002.a-msedge.net
0.0.0.0        a-0003.a-msedge.net
0.0.0.0        a-0004.a-msedge.net
0.0.0.0        a-0005.a-msedge.net
0.0.0.0        a-0006.a-msedge.net
0.0.0.0        a-0007.a-msedge.net
0.0.0.0        a-0008.a-msedge.net
0.0.0.0        a-0009.a-msedge.net
0.0.0.0        ac3.msn.com
0.0.0.0        ad.doubleclick.net
0.0.0.0        adnexus.net
0.0.0.0        adnxs.com
0.0.0.0        ads.msn.com
0.0.0.0        ads1.msads.net
0.0.0.0        ads1.msn.com
0.0.0.0        aidps.atdmt.com
0.0.0.0        aka-cdn-ns.adtech.de
0.0.0.0        a-msedge.net
0.0.0.0        apps.skype.com
0.0.0.0        az361816.vo.msecnd.net
0.0.0.0        az512334.vo.msecnd.net
0.0.0.0        b.ads1.msn.com
0.0.0.0        b.ads2.msads.net
0.0.0.0        b.rad.msn.com
0.0.0.0        bs.serving-sys.com
0.0.0.0        c.atdmt.com
0.0.0.0        c.msn.com
0.0.0.0        cdn.atdmt.com
0.0.0.0        cds26.ams9.msecn.net
0.0.0.0        compatexchange.cloudapp.net
0.0.0.0        corpext.msitadfs.glbdns2.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0        cs1.wpc.v0cdn.net
0.0.0.0        db3aqu.atdmt.com
0.0.0.0        ec.atdmt.com
0.0.0.0        fe2.update.microsoft.com.akadns.net
0.0.0.0        feedback.microsoft-hohm.com
0.0.0.0        flex.msn.com
0.0.0.0        g.msn.com
0.0.0.0        h1.msn.com
0.0.0.0        lb1.www.ms.akadns.net
0.0.0.0        live.rads.msn.com
0.0.0.0        m.adnxs.com
0.0.0.0        m.hotmail.com
0.0.0.0        msedge.net
0.0.0.0        msftncsi.com
0.0.0.0        msnbot-65-55-108-23.search.msn.com
0.0.0.0        msntest.serving-sys.com
0.0.0.0        pre.footprintpredict.com
0.0.0.0        preview.msn.com
0.0.0.0        pricelist.skype.com
0.0.0.0        rad.live.com
0.0.0.0        rad.msn.com
0.0.0.0        s.gateway.messenger.live.com
0.0.0.0        s0.2mdn.net
0.0.0.0        schemas.microsoft.akadns.net
0.0.0.0        secure.adnxs.com
0.0.0.0        secure.flashtalking.com
0.0.0.0        sls.update.microsoft.com.akadns.net
0.0.0.0        static.2mdn.net
0.0.0.0        statsfe1.ws.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0        statsfe2.update.microsoft.com.akadns.net
0.0.0.0        statsfe2.ws.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0        survey.watson.microsoft.com
0.0.0.0        view.atdmt.com
0.0.0.0        msftncsi.com
# End of entries inserted by Spybot Anti-Beacon for Windows 10 Optional
Fogdude
VIP Subscriber
Topic author
Mr Grumpy 2017 (1)

Postby Fogdude » Oct Sun 30, 2016 10:48 am

UPDATE: I have now confirmed that reversing the changes made to your HOSTS file that SpyBot Anti-Beacon & other Win10 privacy utilities make, DOES INDEED cure the following problems I have been experiencing, without realizing it was being affected by the HOSTS settings:

1. Sending text messages through the Skype IM window now works as normal.
2. Sending files (under 300MB) works as it always did, again.
3. Sending recorded video messages also works as it should, again.
4. Erroneous bad or failed connection popups no longer appear.
5. Connection quality now shows white, not red.
6. Skype status now shows green, not a blue circle with rotating arrows, saying 'connecting.'

To get around some of these problems, I had reverted to an earlier version of Skype (7.17.x.x), but that only got around the status icon & bad connection issues. It did nothing to resolve file transfers, recorded video messages or IM chats.

To repeat, I still have Cortana completely disabled & it has still not had a negative affect on anything I have been able to detect.
Fogdude
VIP Subscriber
Topic author
Mr Grumpy 2017 (1)

Postby chouette » Oct Sun 30, 2016 7:53 pm

Interesting...  :included:
chouette
Site Moderator
In my defense, I was left unsupervised.
Topics: 281
CoverArt: 6499
Resources: 284
Medals: 18
EFX ShoutBox Champ 2022 (1)2023 January Cover Contest (1)15,000 Downloads (1)EFX ShoutBox Champ 2021 (1)
EFX ShoutBox Champ 2020 (1)EFX Camp Counselor 2020 (1)EFX ShoutBox Champ 2019 (1)Contributor Of The Year 2019 (1)

Postby Fogdude » Apr Mon 17, 2017 12:26 pm

For the last couple of weeks, several of my friends & relatives have been experiencing some serious issues with Skype. In one case, over a period of 3 days, while in a Skype session, one person was presented with a popup that announced that Skype was having issues & that it would be repaired immediately. Then, it shut down the session & restarted the computer. When the person logged back in, the Skype icon was gone from the taskbar. They called me on the phone & I walked them through getting into Skype & put the icon back on the taskbar. When connecting with them, I was presented with a black screen, not their avatar, as would usually be the case if their camera was off. I realized what was happening, because I gave them an external camera matching mine so our sessions would be more reliable. I walked them through checking the Video setting & Skype had completely forgotten about their external camera, which is mounted on the laptop lid, covering the built-in camera (hence the black screen, a sure sign) & was back to using the only camera it knew about, the built-in one. I had them unplug the external camera & plug it back in & Skype immediately resumed using the correct camera, but MY Skype locked up & became completely unresponsive, though the session continued with normal video & sound. I had them end the session & call me back & all was well. Apparently, Skype is no longer tolerant of camera or microphone changes while in a session. Two days later, the exact same thing happened again.

Today, checking for any new updates to Skype, I discovered they have started rolling out a new version. They tout it as the 'new & improved', of course, & claim it has been revamped for Windows 10 & eliminates issues with changing your camera or microphone during an active session. Oh, if only that was all they had done to it.

I downloaded & installed the new version on a laptop I rarely use for Skype, to see what it's like. As it turns out, it's so completely new & different, you can actually have parallel installations of the old & new versions. I'll go through some of the things I saw during my extremely brief look at it:

1. Old Skype lets you sign in & stay signed in until you Quit Skype. Not so with the new version. You must sign in every time you start it.

2. Old Skype didn't quit or close when you clicked the close X in the upper right corner. This merely minimized Skype. The new version has no 'Quit Skype' option. Why would it? Click the X in the upper right corner & Skype closes, period.

3. Skype now drills down through everything you have on your system to uncover potential contacts, including your phone book, email contacts & any other friends lists available. The Old Skype simply retained those Skype contacts you added yourself.

4. New Skype no longer presents your contact list on a side panel. To see your contacts, you must click a contacts button on the left, but this will not equate to the contact list you created under old Skype, though those contacts will be present. They will be grouped by their source & so far, though the 'favorite' tag is still present on each contact's profile, I don't see where it has any effect. That may require further investigation.

MSFT also lists a number of new benefits, like searchable messages. I didn't see anything compelling about any of their 'improvements' at all. It appears MSFT is still determined to make us all treat our computers as telephones or tablets & they're doing everything they can to move us away from the tradition desktop.

For now, this update is optional, but I doubt that will last for long.

So, be prepared... Winter Is Coming!

Fogdude
VIP Subscriber
Topic author
Mr Grumpy 2017 (1)

Postby topmeasure » Apr Mon 17, 2017 12:47 pm

Problems started to arise when Microsoft swallowed up Skype, now they are intertwined and one effects the other. Me no like.
topmeasure
Forum Director
I Give You One Like!
Topics: 833
CoverArt: 675
Resources: 12
Medals: 6
EFX Forum Champ 2022 (1)EFX Forum Champ 2021 (1)EFX Froum Champ 2020 (1)EFX 5K Post Club (1)
EFX Froum Champ 2019 (1)EFX Froum Champ 2018 (1)

Postby chouette » Apr Mon 17, 2017 12:56 pm

These changes with everything (especially Windows 10) are really taking it's toll for computer illiterate like me. It used to be a lot simpler. Now it's just a bunch of headaches!

:-<
chouette
Site Moderator
EFX ShoutBox Champ 2022 (1)2023 January Cover Contest (1)15,000 Downloads (1)EFX ShoutBox Champ 2021 (1)
EFX ShoutBox Champ 2020 (1)EFX Camp Counselor 2020 (1)EFX ShoutBox Champ 2019 (1)Contributor Of The Year 2019 (1)

Postby Fogdude » Apr Mon 17, 2017 12:59 pm

topmeasure wrote:Problems started to arise when Microsoft swallowed up Skype, now they are intertwined and one effects the other. Me no like.

No question about it. I was using Skype back before MSFT grabbed it & It was sweet. Reliable, fast, simple & elegant. Then it went into the toilet & it's been a constant downhill slide since. I've tried some alternatives, but they're just not as good, even with all its faults & they're nowhere near as universally present, so I keep trudging on.
Fogdude
VIP Subscriber
Topic author
Mr Grumpy 2017 (1)

Postby ctaulbee » Apr Mon 17, 2017 1:09 pm

Fogdude wrote:For now, this update is optional, but I doubt that will last for long.

So, be prepared... Winter Is Coming!

You know that is the truth, that contact search is not a surprise at all they have been becoming more and more aggressive about "finding out all they can about you" via every piece of software they issue for a long time now, mostly under the guise of "making things easier for us" of course...

:roll
My Gallery  •  Please leave a vote and short comment if you download my work, thanks.  •  My Criterion Collection
ctaulbee
Super Administrator
2021 Cover of The Year (1)COTM March 2021 (1)COTM January 2021 (1)COTM November 2020 (1)
COTM July 2020 (1)COTM February 2020 (1)COTM January 2020 (1)COTM December 2019 (1)

Postby topmeasure » Apr Mon 17, 2017 2:36 pm

I hate the "making things easier for us" and "for your security" bull, the mother figure complex Microsoft is suffering from, while gathering as much info as they can about user habits.
topmeasure
Forum Director
I Give You One Like!
EFX Forum Champ 2022 (1)EFX Forum Champ 2021 (1)EFX Froum Champ 2020 (1)EFX 5K Post Club (1)

Postby Fogdude » Apr Sat 22, 2017 6:00 pm

Yeah, the new one sucks mightily. They've really screwed up the contacts, forcing you to scroll down through all your various contacts lists to find anyone. No more JUST Skype contacts. Now it has your whole address book & any name you've ever accessed through any kind of messaging or communications.

The settings screen shows you what your current hardware setting for audio & video, but won't let you change them. To make changes you have to mouse over the video area, then, when the overlay comes onscreen, click the '...' button & select device settings there. It was hard enough to get my relatives in their 70s & 80s to be able to navigate with the old one, but at least there were normal menus & when you clicked on 'settings' you actually were in settings.

I haven't figured out how to get the semi-transparent banner at the top of the screen to go away, so though I have a 1080p camera, the tops of the heads of people I call are behind that stupid banner. If you open up the contact list, it just cuts off that side of the video, instead of resizing the video area, the way it used to.

Sorry for the rant. I am not pleased.

Also, now, when you check for updates with the old version, it says you have the most current version installed, BUT there's a new Skype available for you to try out, if you want to. At least you can still opt out, but as I said before, this will not last.

Can you tell I'm not pleased?
Fogdude
VIP Subscriber
Topic author
Mr Grumpy 2017 (1)

Postby ctaulbee » Apr Sat 22, 2017 6:38 pm

Sounds like another fun ride upgrade has been done at the Microsoft World Tragic Kingdom Theme Park and Ruse

:D
ctaulbee
Super Administrator

Postby bankska22 » Apr Sat 22, 2017 7:13 pm

Just started using Skype so I'm sure I'll run into problems. Windows 10, ugggggg!  Good luck Fog!
bankska22
#1 Dallas Cowboy's Fan!
Topics: 977
CoverArt: 1917
Resources: 24
Medals: 10
COTM January 2023 (1)2021 April Cover Contest (1)2020 August Cover Contest (1)2020 May Cover Contest (1)
EFX 5K Post Club (1)2019 June Cover Contest (1)COTM March 2019 (1)2014 Action Label Design Comp (1)

Postby Fogdude » Apr Sat 22, 2017 7:18 pm

I'll be using it regardless. It's so widely used by almost everyone, except Facetime on iPhones, there's no escaping it & overall, it still does what we want & need. I just really resent the continual 'improvements' that do nothing but make it less simple to use & less reliable in performance. It seems like MSFT has too many programmers with too much time on their hands but who don't bother to actually talk to the people who use the products they keep mangling through their efforts to make it a 'more enjoyable' experience. They seem to actually believe that everyone wants their desktop computer to look & act like a smartphone.
Fogdude
VIP Subscriber
Topic author
Mr Grumpy 2017 (1)

Postby ctaulbee » Apr Sat 22, 2017 7:21 pm

Fogdude wrote:They seem to actually believe that everyone wants their desktop computer to look & act like a smartphone.

ctaulbee
Super Administrator

Postby Fogdude » Apr Sat 22, 2017 7:24 pm

Yep. When the only tool you have is a hammer... everything looks like a nail.
Fogdude
VIP Subscriber
Topic author
Mr Grumpy 2017 (1)

Postby topmeasure » Apr Sun 23, 2017 12:02 am

I understand your straggle against the machine my friend.  :D
topmeasure
Forum Director
I Give You One Like!

Postby topmeasure » May Sun 07, 2017 7:38 am

Microsoft.jpg
Microsoft.jpg (99.27 KiB) Viewed 1689 times
topmeasure
Forum Director
I Give You One Like!

Postby chouette » May Sun 07, 2017 9:12 pm

:omg:    :giggle:
chouette
Site Moderator

Postby Fogdude » Aug Tue 29, 2017 12:08 pm

I've been using Skype for years & years. Before MSFT bought it out, it was great, stable, feature rich product. MSFT has turned it into a steaming pile. Unfortunately, it's still the predominant video chatting platform & I still use it, with all its issues & problems.

For the past 2 weeks, I've been battling a problem with Skype insisting that it can't access my webcam, claiming that some other program is already using it. Aside from the fact that the 'in use' light is never on, when this happens, I'm also 100% sure that nothing else is accessing it. I have thoroughly scanned my system & I KNOW, without question, that my camera isn't hacked & no 3rd party is accessing my system.

The camera comes on & I can see myself in the preview window. If I check the video settings, Skype reports the camera is working fine, shows me a preview on the screen & all seems well... until I try to connect when making a video call. The second the called party answers, Skype turns my camera off & puts up an error window claiming it can't access my camera. I've tried 3 different cameras, including the onboard camera (It's a laptop). I've tried multiple USB ports, including directly on the laptop & two self powered hubs (which provide 5 amps of total power, each).

This problem only started a couple of weeks ago. I installed nothing new, changed no settings. Unless it was a Windows update, nothing was changed. This problem just sprang up, out of the blue. I have 3 other systems identical to this one, with identical cameras, NONE of them have this problem.

So, today, out of frustration & desperation, I went into the apps section & fired up the Camera app. It promptly reported it couldn't access my camera, but, finally showed to error codes I have been unable to find in my event logs or anywhere else.

The error codes are
0xA00F4246 & (0x80070609)

Googling the first error code resulted in a whole page of Youtube videos showing how to fix this. I have been googling the problem in plain text & uncovered nothing of any use, but once I had this error code, the answers were there.

It requires a REGISTRY CHANGE, as follows:

Quit Skype (It's not necessary to sign out, just Quit)

Open Regedit & go to the key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Media Foundation\Platform

Then create a new DWORD key named:
EnableFrameServerMode

with a 0 value:
0:00000000

Close regedit & Open Skype. It now works as it should.
Fogdude
VIP Subscriber
Topic author
Mr Grumpy 2017 (1)

Postby ctaulbee » Aug Tue 29, 2017 12:34 pm

Got to love Uncle Bill  :roll
ctaulbee
Super Administrator

Postby jamshedt » Aug Tue 29, 2017 1:07 pm

Gotta agree with you here on this ...before MSFT bought it out, it was great, stable, feature rich product. MSFT has turned it into a steaming pile.
it get's even worse if your using the newer versions on your phone. At one point, it had even stopped communicating with the older version.
"Message log" - The person you are trying to connect to is using an older version of Skype !
MS is just taking everything to the S*** Pile !
The only blessing I've got on my end is that at least whatsapp gives you the option to host a video call which comes in handy in these sticky situations.
jamshedt
Exclusive Resident
Your Desthpicable
Topics: 65
CoverArt: 2221
Occupation: Just a regular guy trying to break the fourth wall !!
Medals: 14
2023 July Cover Contest (1)2021 Best Loser Cover Contest (1)2020 November Cover Contest (1)2020 July Cover Contest (1)
2019 Best Loser Cover Contest (1)2018 October Cover Contest (1)2018 Best Loser Cover Contest (1)2017 Design Merit Contest (1)

Next

Return to The Slippery Soapbox