Current Contest Banner

EFX Subscriptions

Coming Attractions

Movie & TV Trailers For Upcoming Releases.

Mary and the Witch's Flower (2017)

Postby bankska22 » Apr Fri 14, 2017 6:09 pm

Mary and the Witch's Flower is an upcoming Japanese anime fantasy film directed by Hiromasa Yonebayashi and produced by Studio Ponoc, based on The Little Broomstick by Mary Stewart. This is Studio Ponoc's first feature film.

Director: Hiromasa Yonebayashi
Production company: Studio Ponoc
Music composed by: Takatsugu Muramatsu
Story by: Mary Stewart
Producer: Yoshiaki Nishimura
Hepburn: Meari to Majo no Hana
Cinematography: Atsushi Okui

1.jpg
1.jpg (69.65 KiB) Viewed 140 times

A couple magical new trailers have been released for the beautifully animated anime film Mary and the Witch's Flower. A few months ago we shared a teaser trailer for the film, but these new trailers feature a lot more new footage and offer us a better look at the story it tells.

The film tells the story of a girl who finds a broomstick that leads her to a school for witches where she learns that there are deformed mutant animals from experiments being locked away in cages. As you'll see in the trailer, the film seems to emulate some of that Studio Ghibli magic, even though it's not a Studio Ghibli film.

The film is based on a book by Mary Stewart called The Little Broomstick, and it was directed by Hiromasa Yonebayashi, who previously helmed The Secret World of Arrietty and When Marnie Was There. The movie comes from Studio Ponoc and as you'll see, they've done an incredible job bringing this story to life. I'm excited to watch this movie with my girls.

It is Tib the black cat who leads Mary to the strange flower in the woods. When she discovers a broomstick shortly afterwards, she is astonished to feel it jump in to action. Before she can gather her wits, it is whisking her over the treetops, above the clouds, and in to the grounds of Endor College, where: 'All Examinations Coached for by A Competent Staff of Fully-Qualified Witches.' Here she discovers evidence of a terrible experiment in transformation - deformed and mutant animals imprisoned in cages. In the moment after her broomstick takes off, she realises that Tib has been captured.

The film is set to open in Japan in the summer of 2017. I'm sure it will eventually make its way to the U.S.

bankska22
#1 Dallas Cowboy's Fan!
Topic author
Topics: 974
CoverArt: 1914
Resources: 24
Medals: 10
COTM January 2023 (1)2021 April Cover Contest (1)2020 August Cover Contest (1)2020 May Cover Contest (1)
EFX 5K Post Club (1)2019 June Cover Contest (1)COTM March 2019 (1)2014 Action Label Design Comp (1)

Re: Mary and the Witch's Flower (2017)

Postby VincentLupo » Apr Fri 14, 2017 9:08 pm

Now that looks quite good.  I'll have to put it on my list.
VincentLupo
The Panda Moderator
Topics: 7
CoverArt: 2
Medals: 3
EFX 5K Post Club (1)Pandapedia Official Founder (1)Official Panda Moderator (1)

Postby Fogdude » Apr Sat 15, 2017 11:05 am

I'd watch it, but I have an appointment for an anal probe with a barbwire wrapped baseball bat that day, so...
Fogdude
VIP Subscriber
If you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
Topics: 153
Occupation: Retired IT guy. I was the one looking up from beneath your desk...
Medals: 1
Mr Grumpy 2017 (1)

Postby 2getted » Apr Sat 15, 2017 9:43 pm

After watching the trailers for some reason it does reminded me of Studio Ghibli's Spirited Away. I can see a similar style used and even characters.

Fogdude wrote:I'd watch it, but I have an appointment for an anal probe with a barbwire wrapped baseball bat that day, so...

Now, now, ...  ;)
2getted
VIP Subscriber
Topics: 16
CoverArt: 17

Postby ctaulbee » Apr Sat 15, 2017 9:50 pm

:giggle:

I'll probably not watch it but it did remind me of a Studio Ghibli production when I first saw it too.

:D
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
My Gallery  •  Please leave a vote and short comment if you download my work, thanks.  •  My Criterion Collection
ctaulbee
Super Administrator
Hand Me The Sledgehammer... I'll Fix It!
Topics: 1091
CoverArt: 3412
Resources: 4628
Medals: 56
2021 Cover of The Year (1)COTM March 2021 (1)COTM January 2021 (1)COTM November 2020 (1)
COTM July 2020 (1)COTM February 2020 (1)COTM January 2020 (1)COTM December 2019 (1)

Postby bankska22 » Apr Sat 15, 2017 10:06 pm

Fogdude wrote:I'd watch it, but I have an appointment for an anal probe with a barbwire wrapped baseball bat that day, so...

lol
bankska22
#1 Dallas Cowboy's Fan!
Topic author
Topics: 974
CoverArt: 1914
Resources: 24
Medals: 10
COTM January 2023 (1)2021 April Cover Contest (1)2020 August Cover Contest (1)2020 May Cover Contest (1)
EFX 5K Post Club (1)2019 June Cover Contest (1)COTM March 2019 (1)2014 Action Label Design Comp (1)