Current Contest Banner

EFX Subscriptions

Design Discussions

Let's talk about designing covers.

Cover Design Applications

Postby Moviebugg88 » Mar Fri 09, 2018 12:14 am

Okay, my name is Shamarious, and I am fairly new to coverart design. I am creating this new topic because I was just wondering are there any other programs other than photoshop that I can use to do this. I am only asking this because after watching just one tutorial of the how-to-beginners-guide of photoshop I was completely overwhelmed, seeming how I want to begin designing asap. Unfortunately jumping head first into photoshop seems nearly impossible. If anyone has any light on this topic I would gladly appreciate your help. If not, well I am in for some long long nights of photoshop tutorials from beginner to expert until I master this.
"*KEEP CALM*.....It's only the Trailer"
Moviebugg88
Subscriber
Never forget too brush your teeth.
Topic author
Topics: 22
CoverArt: 81

Re: Cover Design Applications

Postby chouette » Mar Fri 09, 2018 1:31 am

Hello Shamarious and welcome. I can honestly say that if I can learn Photoshop with the great beginner's tutorials here at EFX, anyone can. When I first opened Photoshop, it was EXTREMELY overwhelming for me. Like you, I never thought I would ever be able to work with such a complicated software but I managed to learn with the help of great members here and CT's tutorials. Don't shy away from Photoshop, I can't think of any other software that can be any better out there. Good luck!

;)
chouette
Site Moderator
In my defense, I was left unsupervised.
Topics: 164
CoverArt: 1526
Resources: 140
Medals: 6
EFX Master Sleuth (1)EFX ShoutBox Champ 2017 (1)Awesome 2017 (1)2017 Rising Star Designer (1)
Showdown Chouette def Wrench (1)Royal Canadian Flying Mod (1)

Postby ctaulbee » Mar Fri 09, 2018 8:20 am

It's a double edged sword, if you start on anything else you will soon discover that "other" programs are limited in functionality and then one has to re-learn things to move up to Photoshop, this is harder than just learning Photoshop basics to begin with.

Understand all graphics programs do the same things, so there are few shortcuts to that learning process anyway. The ones that look simple are that way just because they have limited features does not make them easier to learn.

Remember you are learning a concept here not just a program, the program is only a tool.

To give you an example if one is to place text in a image, one must learn to use the "text tool" and "understand how it works" in order to do that, won't matter what the program is the process still has to be learned and the tool mastered, now the rub...

If you learn a text tool in a different less functional program with limited options, then later you want to do more, you will have to move up to Photoshop and learn it's text tool which will be very different and that is where the confusion comes, trying to "unlearn old habits" and then learn new basics plus the new more advanced ones.

The thing is you don't have to master "everything" in Photoshop at once, "you learn the basics" then build on that over time, the basics have to be learned in any program anyway, might as well start with the best, then there will never be a reason to switch, as no one ever abandons Photoshop for some lessor graphic package.

Worth noting here the vast majority of the design world uses Photoshop, as a result there is a near unlimited supply of experts and tutorials around to help you solve any problem or issue you run into, no other program will have that kind of support available to you. Once you start down this path the importance of that will become very obvious, very quickly.
You can find all my covers by clicking the spine image, if you download any please leave a comment or smiley, thanks
ctaulbee
Super Administrator
Hand Me The Sledgehammer... I'll Fix It!
Topics: 1073
CoverArt: 2048
Resources: 12624
Medals: 35
COTM September 2018 (1)2018 September Cover Contest (1)2018 July Cover Contest (1)COTM June 2018 (1)
COTM February 2018 (1)COTM July 2017 (1)2017 May Cover Contest (1)COTM March 2017 (1)

Postby wysmommy » Mar Fri 09, 2018 9:55 am

When I first started designing labels and covers - I used Corel's Paintshop Pro. I have to say though, I totally agree with ctaulbee. You are better off to start with Photoshop.

If I can learn to use Photoshop, then anyone can. When I first started using PS it was overwhelming. This is embarrassing to admit, but I couldn't even figure out how to change the name of the layers, at first. And at the time, I was too embarrassed to ask. I felt like such an idiot when I finally, by accident, figured out all you had to do was double click on the layer.

:angel:

And don't even get me started on layers. When I was a beginner I just could not figure out the basic concept of layers. But the basics are quite simple, once you get the hang of it. Just don't give up. Start simple.
wysmommy
Site Moderator
Out of Order
Topics: 56
CoverArt: 1408
Resources: 95
Medals: 20
COTM October 2018 (1)COTM July 2018 (1)COTM May 2018 (1)2017 December Cover Contest (1)
2016 December Cover Contest (1)2016 November Cover Contest (1)2016 October Cover Contest (1)COTM February 2016 (1)

Postby tmscrapbook » Mar Fri 09, 2018 1:23 pm

CT could not have said it better. Best to just dive into Photoshop as it is the best available program. As others have said "If I can learn to use PS, then anyone can." I feel the same way. There are so many great tutorials on this site, that I think you will find learning PS does not need to be overwhelming.

Good luck and welcome to the site
:)
tmscrapbook
Design Pro 10K
#1 Seattle Seahawks Fan
Topics: 69
CoverArt: 12277
Medals: 13
Contributor Of The Year (1)2017 January Cover Contest (1)tmscrapbook 25,000 (1)tmscrapbook 9500 (1)
tmscrapbook 8500 (1)tmscrapbook 7500 (1)tmscrapbook 6500 (1)tmscrapbook 5500 (1)

Postby Wrench » Mar Fri 09, 2018 1:37 pm

I started out with Microsoft Picture it, then moved to MS Digital Image, (new name for the same program).
Then a friend showed me what I can do in Photoshop. When and got it PS2, now using PS6. Would change to anything else. I also taught my 13 year old granddaughter to use PS.

As everyone else said start with the best and you won't have to unlearn a lesser program. :)
Click on Image Below To View My Covers Image

Wrench
EFX Comp Organizer
If It's Not Broke I'll Break It
Topics: 766
CoverArt: 1362
Resources: 392
Medals: 12
Wrench 3000 (1)Wrench 2500 (1)Wrench 2000 (1)Wrench 1500 (1)
2017 March Label Contest (1)Wrench 1000 (1)EFX ShoutBox Champ 2016 (1)Wrench 500 (1)

Postby alienmem » Mar Fri 09, 2018 2:39 pm

Photoshop is easy as any other program. Just notice that you have layers. Picture that you have a stack of flat sheet drawn papers on your desk and if you want to "make something out of them" you have to tear apart something on top to show what the sheet below has...and so on til you have your image.

In a very simplistic way photoshop is mastering how to put images on top of others, just like if you had a sheet of paper and another below it.
alienmem
Ambassador
I'm in a transitional period
Topics: 84
CoverArt: 106
Medals: 2
Wile E. Coyote Genius 2017 (1)Showdown Alienmem def Jamshedt (1)

Postby Moviebugg88 » Mar Fri 09, 2018 5:15 pm

I honestly thank all of you for your replies and help. I will stick it out and hopefully soon I will have a work of art like never before to show you all here. Thanks again.  :D
"*KEEP CALM*.....It's only the Trailer"
Moviebugg88
Subscriber
Never forget too brush your teeth.
Topic author
Topics: 22
CoverArt: 81

Postby Sarge » Mar Fri 09, 2018 6:54 pm

Just follow the tutorials on site, remember to only take on one at a time, once you feel you have mastered that one, press on with the next one, like everyone has said, it's a learning experience.   ;)
Sarge
Artisan
Topics: 7
CoverArt: 646
Resources: 11