Current Contest Banner

EFX Subscriptions

Design Discussions

Let's talk about designing covers.

Would like some help

Postby Nickaberdeen » Feb Sat 17, 2018 1:39 pm

hi everyone.

i am looking for some advice from anyone that would like to say something.

right, so i have been checking out a few forum posts and they have inspired me to think about doing some sort of collection (like CT has Criterion for example). i like the thought of creating some sort of unique style (which i would probably do as a WIP when the time came so i could get lots of input to get the initial design just right) and then create different films from there.

i am not sure whether to look for a specific company or make something up for random movies, not too sure if there are pre-determined unsaid guidleines for things like this.

i dont mind either way which is why i am looking for some advice for possible directions or ideas.

anyone want to start it off?  :D
Nickaberdeen
Exclusive Artist
Topic author
Topics: 37
CoverArt: 289

Re: Would like some help

Postby chouette » Feb Sat 17, 2018 4:41 pm

I’m not really the ideal person to give advice on such things, but maybe you should start by finding what type of collection you would want to pick, like you said, something similar to CT’s Criterion Collection. You probably don’t want any of us to pick one for you as it needs to be something that you will enjoy working on, something personal that reflects what you like.

When you decide, it’s certainly a good idea to create your own unique style using the WIP for good tips. We have some incredible designers here and hopefully you will get all the help that you need to accomplish that perfect template for your future designs.  

Sorry I couldn’t help more, as I’m not one to go down that path, but I can understand if that’s something you would like to do. Maybe others will be more helpful. Good luck!

:)
chouette
Site Moderator
In my defense, I was left unsupervised.
Topics: 165
CoverArt: 1547
Resources: 141
Medals: 6
EFX Master Sleuth (1)EFX ShoutBox Champ 2017 (1)Awesome 2017 (1)2017 Rising Star Designer (1)
Showdown Chouette def Wrench (1)Royal Canadian Flying Mod (1)

Postby Nickaberdeen » Feb Sat 17, 2018 5:52 pm

chouette wrote:You probably don’t want any of us to pick one for you as it needs to be something that you will enjoy working on, something personal that reflects what you like.

its my lack of knowing what is out there. its not something i even knew existed before i joined, i had never heard of criterion so was hoping people would be able to suggest some so i could pick whichever one i would like to do, just needed a starting point/something to research.

just thinking it would be a better road to go down than making just random covers for on here.

thanks for the response though. if you think of any collections just let me know.  :D
Nickaberdeen
Exclusive Artist
Topic author

Postby ctaulbee » Feb Sat 17, 2018 6:27 pm

I think it would be best to narrow your idea to a specific theme.

For example many have done sets, xshoty has a comic set and a animation set.

Others have done just Marvel sets or DC sets for example and then most of those have morphed into a comic collection of some kind.

Then there are the Disney Animation collections which are always popular and constantly growing.

ericwh has done several sets on Sci-Fi and Westerns for example.

Many have done TV or Actor/Actress/Director Collections, our very own Tristancol for example has many examples of both.

If you were more inclined to a go with a release Studio there are a good many.

Kylumi started a collection for Masters of Cinema from Eureka Entertainment which is similar to Criterion in that it is a numbered collection but is from Europe, is shares many similar titles to Criterion (there is link on the front page to the MoC website.)

Then there is Kino Lorber, Shout Factory, Scream Factory, Cinema Guild, Twilight Time, Blue Underground, Arrow Films, Severin Films, Olive Films, 88 Films, Cohen Media Group, Code Red, Cult Epics, Drafthouse Films, Image Entertainment, IFC Films, Transmission Films to name a few, there are many others.
You can find all my covers by clicking the spine image, if you download any please leave a comment or smiley, thanks
ctaulbee
Super Administrator
Hand Me The Sledgehammer... I'll Fix It!
Topics: 1075
CoverArt: 2052
Resources: 12687
Medals: 35
COTM September 2018 (1)2018 September Cover Contest (1)2018 July Cover Contest (1)COTM June 2018 (1)
COTM February 2018 (1)COTM July 2017 (1)2017 May Cover Contest (1)COTM March 2017 (1)

Postby Nickaberdeen » Feb Sat 17, 2018 6:35 pm

i was definitely leaning more towards the release studio thing. i already do all of the other things (like specific actors, tv shows, comic style etc) i was hoping for more of a numbered type collection if it was possible. preferably something popular (possibly not covered already on here).

it was the kylumi forum post that inspired me to look into this as he obviously has the MOC one covered and you have the criterion so was hoping there were other similar type collections i might be able to do.
Nickaberdeen
Exclusive Artist
Topic author

Postby ctaulbee » Feb Sat 17, 2018 6:38 pm

Kylumi is not making covers anymore, so his collection is dead will never be added to again.

It would in fact be good to have someone pickup the torch and carry it on down the path.

Would not have to follow his template, one could come up with a new template of their own.
You can find all my covers by clicking the spine image, if you download any please leave a comment or smiley, thanks
ctaulbee
Super Administrator
COTM September 2018 (1)2018 September Cover Contest (1)2018 July Cover Contest (1)COTM June 2018 (1)
COTM February 2018 (1)COTM July 2017 (1)2017 May Cover Contest (1)COTM March 2017 (1)

Postby Nickaberdeen » Feb Sat 17, 2018 6:45 pm

i wouldnt mind that at all, i would need to do a bit of research into it though. i had a quick look on their site and its not great, would need to see if i can find the information somewhere else i think so i could narrow it down to blurays. i will have a look into it. thanks. do you know if they need to have some sort of membership to get specific information like you need for the criterion covers?

are there any of kylumi's covers on here to see the way they went with it?
Nickaberdeen
Exclusive Artist
Topic author

Postby ctaulbee » Feb Sat 17, 2018 6:48 pm

ctaulbee
Super Administrator

Postby Nickaberdeen » Feb Sat 17, 2018 6:57 pm

wow. i think thatll work like a charm.

its actually quite surprising, i was working on a template while waiting for responses and it i eerily compatible with that (almost like it was meant to be)  ;)

okay then looks like i will need to do a bit of research but i think this is exactly what im looking for.

dont suppose you know if there are any rules around what needs to be on them (things that fans of the collection would want me to do)?

also does the fact that this is the european version of criterion mean that the cover will be a 14mm spine?
Nickaberdeen
Exclusive Artist
Topic author

Postby ctaulbee » Feb Sat 17, 2018 7:02 pm

Most people want a normal 11-12mm spine, people who bother to print customs generally are looking to save space too.

I know there are exceptions to that rule but they are a "tiny minority" and not the bulk of custom art downloaders at sites like here, most custom cover sites are region A based that means "narrow spines" and no region B logos or limited...
ctaulbee
Super Administrator

Postby Nickaberdeen » Feb Sat 17, 2018 7:06 pm

okay so basically make a region A version of a region B collection? cool. thats not an issue, i can do that.
Nickaberdeen
Exclusive Artist
Topic author

Postby ctaulbee » Feb Sat 17, 2018 7:09 pm

That's what I'd do, now Ky put the region B rating logo on there, but he kept it small and on the back, with none on the spine or front, to me that is fine as well.
ctaulbee
Super Administrator

Postby Nickaberdeen » Feb Sat 17, 2018 7:17 pm

i dont mind changing it to region A if that is what is going to be more popular. possibly i could do both versions but for now i will go with region A and see how it goes. just trying to track down a list of movies/numbers for them. i have found a thread with images for all of the movies with links but the one thing that is missing is the numbers but its still early days. thanks for the assistance.  :D
Nickaberdeen
Exclusive Artist
Topic author

Postby chouette » Feb Sat 17, 2018 7:57 pm

There you go Nick! Looking forward to see what you come up with. I'm sure Ky would be flattered to have someone else take over this fine collection. As for me, well, they will be about movies that I know nothing about, just like the Criterion, lol

Good luck again, let the show begin!

:-$  ;)
chouette
Site Moderator
In my defense, I was left unsupervised.
Topics: 165
CoverArt: 1547
Resources: 141
Medals: 6
EFX Master Sleuth (1)EFX ShoutBox Champ 2017 (1)Awesome 2017 (1)2017 Rising Star Designer (1)
Showdown Chouette def Wrench (1)Royal Canadian Flying Mod (1)

Postby ctaulbee » Feb Sat 17, 2018 8:59 pm

I'm not suggesting you try to make a region B release into a fake region A release.

I'm saying downplay the Region B downsides like wide spines and huge logos on the front, spine and back.

Make them fit the target case size for region A and keep the logos and other legal things to a minimum, you know a more region A "looking format", while keeping the main focus on the art work not the technical details.

Collectors won't want "wrong" info on the cover.
ctaulbee
Super Administrator

Postby Nickaberdeen » Feb Sat 17, 2018 9:14 pm

from what you know about covers that get downloaded would it actually require ratings? i am currently thinking of not doing any region specific items but using the 11mm spine template. was thinking  of keeping it mainly universal logos, ie companies blu ray audio logos etc. would that work or do people actually want ratings logos included?
Nickaberdeen
Exclusive Artist
Topic author

Postby ctaulbee » Feb Sat 17, 2018 9:18 pm

Yeah that would work I think, people generally don't mind things "not" being included, whereas they do mind things that are "wrong" being included.
ctaulbee
Super Administrator

Postby ctaulbee » Feb Sat 17, 2018 9:33 pm

Criterionforum can probably be a help on MoC too, they have a discussion section for it and you can probably pick the collectors brains on there for info or pictures if you need them.

http://www.criterionforum.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=14
ctaulbee
Super Administrator

Postby Nickaberdeen » Feb Sat 17, 2018 10:20 pm

thanks. i'll have a look at that. i found a thread for moc on bluray.com that looks like it will help. as far as the legals go i have generally been using the images of the back covers for the official covers to get all the legals, seems to be covering it.  :D
Nickaberdeen
Exclusive Artist
Topic author

Postby Nickaberdeen » Feb Sat 17, 2018 11:41 pm

when i have completed the first one i will post it here for everyone to check out before finalising.

does anyone know how to post an image in the thread. CT told me the image dimesions to use and how to upload without a image hosting site but i cant remember how to do it  :)
Nickaberdeen
Exclusive Artist
Topic author

Postby Nickaberdeen » Feb Sun 18, 2018 1:51 am

okay so here is the first cover.

1.jpg
1.jpg (5.27 MiB) Viewed 157 times

i have a couple of things i am not too sure about:

1. in the credits i have put eureka in association with 20th century fox, wasnt too sure which one would go first/whether in association was applicable.

2. i visited a few sites while doing this and most of them have the aspect ratio as 1.33:1 but the masters of cinema website had it as 1.37:1 so i figured going with the source would be the most logical choice.

if there is anything else anyone notices feel free to let me know as i want to make sure everything in the general template is accurate before moving on to others.
Nickaberdeen
Exclusive Artist
Topic author

Postby topmeasure » Feb Sun 18, 2018 3:10 am

Looks good to me, great job.
topmeasure
I Give You One Like!
Topics: 176
CoverArt: 382
Resources: 410
Medals: 1
topmeasure 500 (1)

Postby ctaulbee » Feb Sun 18, 2018 11:30 am

One question are they all dual format?

Reason I ask is if they are not that will muck the template about when you hit ones that aren't.
ctaulbee
Super Administrator

Postby Nickaberdeen » Feb Sun 18, 2018 11:47 am

ctaulbee wrote:One question are they all dual format?

Reason I ask is if they are not that will muck the template about when you hit ones that aren't.

no its probably about 50% dual 50% not. i figured i would just remove that part for the ones that werent (dont know if id look to replace it with something for the non dual ones or whether i would just remove it. the non dual ones would require me to change three sections from what i rememeber, i would need to change the dvd logo for something else, change the specs box to remove the dvd part and remove the dual format tite.

:D
Nickaberdeen
Exclusive Artist
Topic author

Postby ctaulbee » Feb Sun 18, 2018 12:06 pm

Yup Criterion tried the dual formats it was a dismal failure they abandoned it and no longer release them but there are some still around.

I chose to ignore them myself as these are custom covers and there is no hard rule to include DVD's so my entire set therefore reflects the BD version only as most toss the DVD anyway.

I know that's what I'd do with it or give it to a friend I'm not so fond of...

Anyway by not including the DVD specs you can keep your template more consistent, which is always the goal on sets.
ctaulbee
Super Administrator

Next

Return to Design Discussions