Current Contest Banner

EFX Subscriptions

Design Discussions

Let's talk about designing covers.

What are your designing preferences?

Postby Nickaberdeen » Feb Thu 01, 2018 9:09 am

i figured this might make an interesting discussion. i was just wondering what everyones designing preferences are. are there any things you try to do with all of your covers? guidelines you personally follow when designing?

personally when i make covers i have a couple of things i aim for:

firstly: i like to make the front just artwork where possible, i personally dont need a title on the front so i like to go with just the artwork.

secondly: i like to keep my covers minimal and not too busy, i dont aim to imitate genuine covers too much as the joy of custom covers is to make it however you want it (obviously you have to keep some legals etc as it does look weird without them).

finally: as most of the covers i make are for myself (excluding ones i make to upload) i want a bit of uniformity (a little ocd of me but i need them to all fit together as one large set).

what about everyone else?
Nickaberdeen
Exclusive Artist
Topic author
Topics: 37
CoverArt: 291

Re: What are your designing preferences?

Postby sauron » Feb Thu 01, 2018 1:14 pm

Hmm I don't have any preferences I just do with what I think is good and what my skills allow me to.
sauron
Veteran Member
Build me a cover worthy of Mordor.
Topics: 8
CoverArt: 25
Resources: 26

Postby topmeasure » Feb Thu 01, 2018 1:31 pm

I like to go with the flow, always start with the front, set the TT and work my way to the back of the cover, while trying to capture what the movie is about. Always leave the spine as the last piece of the puzzle. :)
topmeasure
I Give You One Like!
Topics: 192
CoverArt: 384
Resources: 428
Medals: 1
topmeasure 500 (1)

Postby stardragon9 » Feb Thu 01, 2018 4:01 pm

For me finding the proper front image usually helps guide me through the rest of the cover.  As for look, I like to have mine as uniform as possible (hence why I like making the retro covers).
stardragon9
Preferred Designer
Topics: 34
CoverArt: 312
Resources: 11

Postby Nickaberdeen » Feb Thu 01, 2018 5:01 pm

stardragon9 wrote:For me finding the proper front image usually helps guide me through the rest of the cover.  As for look, I like to have mine as uniform as possible (hence why I like making the retro covers).

what do you class as a proper front image? the official image they used for the cover orignally?

i personally try to find a cool but obscure image.  :D
Nickaberdeen
Exclusive Artist
Topic author

Postby ctaulbee » Feb Thu 01, 2018 5:40 pm

I rarely stick to a set style or theme, I find that too boring for my short attention span.

That said there are tried and true formulas for layouts that I generally use as a guide, sometimes I go fully off the reservation with things but not too often.

What I really like to do is use each new cover as a opportunity to try out new ideas and learn new processes or further develop and hone existing skills.

The evolution of creation is what I find most enchanting about the hobby, the actual cover is just the incidental side-effect of that pursuit.

:D
You can find all my covers by clicking the spine image, if you download any please leave a comment or smiley, thanks
ctaulbee
Super Administrator
Hand Me The Sledgehammer... I'll Fix It!
Topics: 861
CoverArt: 2079
Resources: 12763
Medals: 36
COTM November 2018 (1)COTM September 2018 (1)2018 September Cover Contest (1)2018 July Cover Contest (1)
COTM June 2018 (1)COTM February 2018 (1)COTM July 2017 (1)2017 May Cover Contest (1)

Postby chouette » Feb Thu 01, 2018 5:45 pm

Great post Nick. Being fairly new to Photoshop, I like to read how others work on their covers. I read every bit of information given on all WIP’s and learn a lot with this type of discussion.

Since I mainly do TV Series, uniformity is my priority when doing covers. My very first research is done on IMDb as I need to know how many seasons I will have to work with, the name of the production company, etc. so I know which template to use. I normally also research on other sites for the distributor, synopsis, number of discs, and so on. Depending on how many seasons I need to do within a series, I look for images for the front cover first, stills are last. As much as possible, I try to keep them uniform. I would say the front cover is my biggest hurdle. That and what background to use. Then I move to find the title treatment that will go on the front and spine.

Normally, I work the front, spine and keep the back for last, but then again, it depends on the cover.

One thing I will tell you though, is that I learned Photoshop here at EFX under CT’s guidelines and tutorials, so when I’m working on a cover, I have a mini Curt in my head that keeps talking to me ALL the time! LOL
chouette
Site Moderator
In my defense, I was left unsupervised.
Topics: 167
CoverArt: 1584
Resources: 143
Medals: 6
EFX Master Sleuth (1)EFX ShoutBox Champ 2017 (1)Awesome 2017 (1)2017 Rising Star Designer (1)
Showdown Chouette def Wrench (1)Royal Canadian Flying Mod (1)

Postby stardragon9 » Feb Thu 01, 2018 6:10 pm

Nickaberdeen wrote:
stardragon9 wrote:For me finding the proper front image usually helps guide me through the rest of the cover.  As for look, I like to have mine as uniform as possible (hence why I like making the retro covers).

what do you class as a proper front image? the official image they used for the cover orignally?

i personally try to find a cool but obscure image.  :D

I usually don't like the artwork the studios use to create the original covers.  I usually prefer the original poster artwork (either U.S. or foreign).  I guess it also depends on the movie I am making a cover for, if that makes any sense.   :-|
stardragon9
Preferred Designer
Topics: 34
CoverArt: 312
Resources: 11

Postby Nickaberdeen » Feb Fri 02, 2018 4:48 am

chouette wrote:Great post Nick. Being fairly new to Photoshop, I like to read how others work on their covers. I read every bit of information given on all WIP’s and learn a lot with this type of discussion.

Since I mainly do TV Series, uniformity is my priority when doing covers. My very first research is done on IMDb as I need to know how many seasons I will have to work with, the name of the production company, etc. so I know which template to use. I normally also research on other sites for the distributor, synopsis, number of discs, and so on. Depending on how many seasons I need to do within a series, I look for images for the front cover first, stills are last. As much as possible, I try to keep them uniform. I would say the front cover is my biggest hurdle. That and what background to use. Then I move to find the title treatment that will go on the front and spine.

Normally, I work the front, spine and keep the back for last, but then again, it depends on the cover.

One thing I will tell you though, is that I learned Photoshop here at EFX under CT’s guidelines and tutorials, so when I’m working on a cover, I have a mini Curt in my head that keeps talking to me ALL the time! LOL

to be honest i would say i probably prefer to do tv shows as well, and generally i will start with the front image and usually that will give me an idea of how i want to design the whole cover (which sometimes is the longest part, trying to find the right image for inspiration.

i am the same as you, i start with the front then the spine and then the back, usually. but i do probably find the back hardest to design.

i never had the chance to learn how to use photoshop with others when i started so a lot was trial and error. saying that though one of the first things i did do was get a hold of as many studio templates as i could and spent a few weeks making a master template using all of the legals from the various templates so that i only have to use one template for everything (i constantly add to it as i go which might not be the right way to go about it but it does make it a little easier).  :D
Nickaberdeen
Exclusive Artist
Topic author

Postby Nickaberdeen » Feb Fri 02, 2018 5:01 am

ctaulbee wrote:I rarely stick to a set style or theme, I find that too boring for my short attention span.

That said there are tried and true formulas for layouts that I generally use as a guide, sometimes I go fully off the reservation with things but not too often.

What I really like to do is use each new cover as a opportunity to try out new ideas and learn new processes or further develop and hone existing skills.

The evolution of creation is what I find most enchanting about the hobby, the actual cover is just the incidental side-effect of that pursuit.

:D

surely you must have some sort of things you like to do with all of them. whether its just things like you want to keep legals a certain size on the back or you want to use certain things on it.

personally im not a big fan of using all the icons as much, i would rather go with more text focused legals.

i know a lot of people have specific things they like to do that i personally dont (figured it would be the same with others) there must be covers you see and think thats not right i would have definitely put in... special features or ratings or something.  :D
Nickaberdeen
Exclusive Artist
Topic author

Postby stampe » Feb Fri 02, 2018 10:41 am

I generally start in the beginning and finish in the end :D
stampe
Preferred Designer
dyslexic one
CoverArt: 231
Resources: 13
Medals: 2
2017 September Cover Contest (1)Showdown Stampe def Jamshedt (1)

Postby chefjoe » Feb Fri 02, 2018 6:48 pm

I'm a flow guy, I love it when I can achieve an "Feel" of the movie within my work, at times though that can be hard due to resouce materials as I find myself most times stuck in the grey years 1990 and older where resources need more tricks in order to work. And of course I prefer doing requests as I get a more feeling of accomplishment when the cover's done. Anyhow I'm a flow guy! hehe
chefjoe
Exclusive Design Pro
Keep Calm I'm On A Mac
Topics: 360
CoverArt: 1762
Medals: 5
COTM March 2018 (1)Horror Master (1)16th Place Battle Royal 4 (1)Showdown Chefjoe def RRJR84 (1)
COTM July 2011 (1)

Postby Moviebugg88 » Mar Mon 12, 2018 5:57 pm

I'm just starting but from what I am doing so far I would say I like my covers to be a little out there. Meaning I catching, the back especially. Cool back photos always get me when I see dvd's in a store so I know that is a must when I do make a cover. As I have only made 2 of them so far, I am starting to get the hang of things little by little. I also am a person who loves wonderous text on the back that make you really want to know what happens in the film. Thats just me though.
"*KEEP CALM*.....It's only the Trailer"
Moviebugg88
Subscriber
Never forget too brush your teeth.
Topics: 22
CoverArt: 95

Return to Design Discussions