Current Contest Banner

EFX Subscriptions

Design Discussions

Let's talk about designing covers.

Would like opinions on how to improve my cover

Postby Nickaberdeen » Oct Sun 01, 2017 1:32 pm

hi everyone. i was wondering if some of the cover designers on here might be able to help me out. when i am designing a cover i usually always struggle with one section more than others, a way of fitting the synopsis into the back that looks good. this is applicable to the cover i am working on at the moment more than most. i am currently working on it and i quite like how it is coming but i really dont like the text section, i feel it should have some sort of background/specific section/design for it. i was hoping that i might be able to get some ideas on how to bring it up a level as i think it is letting the design down a little at the moment. all suggestions are welcome because it is something i always struggle with and even if it doesnt work for this one i will probably use them in the future. thanks

here is the cover:
jZSksR9.jpg
jZSksR9.jpg (276.75 KiB) Viewed 175 times
Nickaberdeen
Exclusive Artist
Topic author
Topics: 37
CoverArt: 289

Re: Would like opinions on how to improve my cover

Postby sauron » Oct Sun 01, 2017 3:50 pm

I feel like the cover is a bit too dark at the moment and could do with being brightened up, also maybe you could make the guy smaller on the back as he is taking up a lot of room that could make it easier to fit the synopsis in a bit better.
sauron
WIP Concierge
Build me a cover worthy of Mordor.
Topics: 7
CoverArt: 25
Resources: 26

Postby Nickaberdeen » Oct Sun 01, 2017 3:55 pm

when i was doing it i wasnt sure about the black text as it does make it darker but thought it would better than doing white, figured it matched better with the front image as it was quite dark. just out of curiousity, what would you lighten?
Nickaberdeen
Exclusive Artist
Topic author

Postby sauron » Oct Sun 01, 2017 4:03 pm

I would probably brighten the whole cover up, something like the attached. Also you could make the credit/legal area white to break up the amount of green used on the cover as it's quite a lot.

Excuse the crude Photoshopping, gives you an idea of what I mean though :)

jl.jpg
jl.jpg (326.65 KiB) Viewed 169 times
sauron
WIP Concierge

Postby alienmem » Oct Sun 01, 2017 5:55 pm

A good way to compose your cover is looking at retail covers and how they display the text, the images, the legals.

I agree with Sauron. The cover is too dark in my opinion.

Also try using, if you don't already, paragraph text instead of line text. That way your text will unfold in a confined space you pre-determined
alienmem
Ambassador
I'm in a transitional period
Topics: 84
CoverArt: 106
Medals: 2
Wile E. Coyote Genius 2017 (1)Showdown Alienmem def Jamshedt (1)

Postby Nickaberdeen » Oct Sun 01, 2017 8:05 pm

thanks everyone for your input  :D
Nickaberdeen
Exclusive Artist
Topic author

Postby ctaulbee » Oct Sun 01, 2017 9:27 pm

I don't mind the dark but I'm not too keen on the blue stills with the green.

:)
You can find all my covers by clicking the spine image, if you download any please leave a comment or smiley, thanks
ctaulbee
Super Administrator
Hand Me The Sledgehammer... I'll Fix It!
Topics: 1073
CoverArt: 2048
Resources: 12624
Medals: 35
COTM September 2018 (1)2018 September Cover Contest (1)2018 July Cover Contest (1)COTM June 2018 (1)
COTM February 2018 (1)COTM July 2017 (1)2017 May Cover Contest (1)COTM March 2017 (1)

Postby Nickaberdeen » Oct Sun 01, 2017 9:33 pm

ctaulbee wrote:I don't mind the dark but I'm not too keen on the blue stills with the green.

:)

To be fair i was liking the darkness, its possibly the darkest cover i have made but i was fine with that. i did have the same thoughts on the screenshots, i did have a little play around with them at one point and tried tweaking them a little to try and get the background green but it looked a little funny. i have technically done five versions of this cover with the different characters so each one is a different colour but i have left the screens the same on them as some of them looked very strange, but the blue batman version does look better with them. might have to look at it again. just wanted to try and get the text section looking better first.  :D
Nickaberdeen
Exclusive Artist
Topic author

Postby sauron » Oct Tue 03, 2017 12:13 pm

I feel if you introduce the white to the bottom of the back you can then use white on the title or other parts of the cover.
sauron
WIP Concierge