Current Contest Banner

EFX Subscriptions

Design Discussions

Full width cover graphics

Let's talk about designing covers.

Full width cover graphics

Postby Hapkido » May Thu 16, 2013 10:18 am

I've noticed a number of covers where the main graphic image is 'full width'. What I'm trying to describe is the main image of the cover looks like it could be a wallpaper that spans the entire width of the cover. The majority of covers made have a 'poster' type image on the right, then the spine area and then something different on the left.

My question is... WHERE can one find these full width images? I've searched all over and have not been able to find such large hi-res, full-width graphics.
Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!
Hapkido
Topic author
Topics: 3
CoverArt: 598
Medals: 1
Battle Royal 4 Judge (1)

Re: Full width cover graphics

Postby ctaulbee » May Thu 16, 2013 2:19 pm

Most are created, it's rare to find a single image that will fit just right and be of good quality.

:happybunny:
You can find all my covers by clicking the spine image, if you download any please leave a comment or smiley, thanks
ctaulbee
Super Administrator
Hand Me The Sledgehammer... I'll Fix It!
Topics: 1010
CoverArt: 1770
Resources: 17223
Medals: 30
COTM July 2017 (1)2017 May Cover Contest (1)COTM March 2017 (1)COTM February 2017 (1)
2017 February Cover Contest (1)COTM December 2016 (1)COTM November 2016 (1)2016 June Cover Contest (1)

Postby ctaulbee » May Fri 17, 2013 3:36 pm

Here is a quick how to example from a cover I have done.

Extending An Image Background...

You can find all my covers by clicking the spine image, if you download any please leave a comment or smiley, thanks
ctaulbee
Super Administrator
COTM July 2017 (1)2017 May Cover Contest (1)COTM March 2017 (1)COTM February 2017 (1)
2017 February Cover Contest (1)COTM December 2016 (1)COTM November 2016 (1)2016 June Cover Contest (1)

Postby Nickaberdeen » Aug Fri 11, 2017 6:43 pm

I realise this is an old post but i am just making my way through all of the old threads to see what i can pick up and i would really like to know how this was done. this would be really useful. i follow most of this, the only bit i get lost on is where you say add the colour layer. it seems to be the most important section, lol. from the previous posts in thread i could guess it might have something to do with cloning, but its just a guess. thanks.
Nickaberdeen
New Designer
Topics: 19
CoverArt: 235

Postby ctaulbee » Aug Fri 11, 2017 7:07 pm

I added a in-between step to the first post and a new picture.

What I did was slice off a section, near the spine and duplicated it across the back, merged all the slices into a new layer then blended the edges of each slice to the next with the clone tool.
ctaulbee
Super Administrator

Postby Nickaberdeen » Aug Fri 11, 2017 7:24 pm

excellent thanks. i have recently been trying this by copying a section and duplicating it across the back, i never thought of putting a texture under it (is the duplicated layers 100% opacity ie how is the texture layer affecting the picture), the main difference is i have never used the clone tool and was using the smudge tool to try and get rid of the join lines, but wasnt liking the smudged sections. will definitely check out what the clone tool does/how it works.

also, with the gradients what is it you are doing there. i see the background of the image is darkened slightly but doesnt look like the faces are, are you masking round that bit when applying a gradient to the whole image or is the gradient a differnet layer or something.

sorry, my knowledge of photoshop isnt great, but if i can learn these things it would be awesome.
Nickaberdeen
New Designer

Postby ctaulbee » Aug Fri 11, 2017 7:37 pm

I put the texture layer above the color layer then blended it down by setting it's blend mode to overlay.

It's actually applied to the whole cover, front back and spine then I masked the texture off the front images, the gradient to darken areas was done the same way from the top down and masked out where it was unwanted.
ctaulbee
Super Administrator

Postby Nickaberdeen » Aug Fri 11, 2017 7:45 pm

thanks very much. will definitely give this a bash. cheers.
Nickaberdeen
New Designer

Postby sauron » Aug Sun 13, 2017 5:39 pm

Just wanted to chip in and say there's another tool you can use to duplicate a section which will do the blending work for you... It's the Content-Aware Move Tool

camt.jpg
camt.jpg (25.45 KiB) Viewed 75 times

You can make the selection with your marquee tool and then change the the Content-Aware Move Tool and then simply drag and drop, this is how I extended the wall on my Going In Style cover.

As you can see the before and after below...

BEFORE

before.jpg
before.jpg (162.84 KiB) Viewed 75 times

AFTER

after.jpg
after.jpg (103.14 KiB) Viewed 75 times

And this is how it look on the cover..

sauron
WIP Concierge
Build me a cover worthy of Mordor.
Topics: 6
CoverArt: 25
Resources: 55

Postby chouette » Aug Thu 17, 2017 1:27 am

These are very helpful CT and Sauron, thanks! :-$
chouette
Owl Moderator
In my defense, I was left unsupervised.
Topics: 64
CoverArt: 523
Resources: 37
Medals: 2
Showdown Chouette def Wrench (1)Royal Canadian Flying Mod (1)

Postby alienmem » Aug Thu 17, 2017 5:32 am

There's plenty of firepower to use when extending images but it all depends on the complexity of the image. If it's a non busy background what Sauron said will work perfectly. The Content aware move tool.

Other tools are like Ctaulbee said taking portions of your initial image and blending them together with the clone tool, the patch tool, the spot healing brush tool, the healing brush tool(kind of works like the clone tool but is more aware of its surrounding). You can also use the content aware fill tool if the background isn't too busy and if you have some images you don't want streteched out( something that tool does oftenly) you can protect the images you want intact by simply roughly making a selection around them, save the selection as a channel, adn when you use the content aware fill tool you have in the upper tab an option to protect those images(that are on the channels so to speak).

Basically there's nothing you can't to in PS...except maybe win the lottery and etc... lol
alienmem
Designer
I'm in a transitional period
Topics: 68
CoverArt: 96
Medals: 2
Wile E. Coyote Genius 2017 (1)Showdown Alienmem def Jamshedt (1)