Current Contest Banner

EFX Subscriptions

Design Discussions

Let's talk about designing covers.

BLINDSPOT (The Complete First Season)

Postby Moviebugg88 » May Mon 21, 2018 7:14 pm

Alright, first and foremost, I want too tell CT that I meant no harm by what I asked yesterday. I was only simply wondering. But, as for what he said afterwards, you do know CT that I see you as the best right. So, that only gave me motivation when you said what you said about my work. It gave me plenty of it. And even though its improving with every cover, I will not stop until you see it as good as everyone you said has your blessing and respect as a designer. So, me being only a beginner now as I am. And starting from the bottom as everyone else has. I don't want pity, I don't want a pat on the back, I don't want credit. I am ready too earn everything as everyone else does when it comes too this. As most people who are the best at what they do now were once the most underestimated at their craft as others laughed at them once upon a time. So CT, I am sorry if I upset you. When I asked that question, I promise you I was only wondering. But, that is why I was hesitant too ask it because of how you responded too it. But, I know now, and I am ready too work at this as long as it takes me too get your attention that I mean business. To become better, and, better, and better everyday until I am no longer underestimated.
With that being said. I will not upload anything else without approval....So I need you all's opinion and approval on this cover, or I can't upload it. Help needed! And CT, I fixed the text problem. I made all the anti-alias sharp. :-|  :-=
Attachments
"*KEEP CALM*.....It's only the Trailer"
Moviebugg88
Subscriber
Never forget too brush your teeth.
Topic author
Topics: 21
CoverArt: 25

Re: BLINDSPOT (The Complete First Season)

Postby Moviebugg88 » May Mon 21, 2018 7:21 pm

And I had this one done awhile back but I knew I need help too upload this. So I waited awhile and looked at it again, and from what I had this is an entirely different cover. Way better, but so much different and cleaner than the first idea I had made it into.
Moviebugg88
Subscriber
Topic author

Postby Moviebugg88 » May Mon 21, 2018 7:44 pm

Thanks Chou. You know I love you, but waiting on CT's approval also. Thanks so much my queen.  :nerd  :-o
Moviebugg88
Subscriber
Topic author

Postby ctaulbee » May Mon 21, 2018 7:56 pm

Moviebugg88 wrote:...I will not upload anything else without approval until I am out of this so called beginners stage I am supposedly in...

Now see when you say it like that, it sounds like you don't agree with my assessment of your current status, where I'm from that us called a patronizing comment, meant to be or not it's not the way to go.

What I mean is don't try to blind me with praise and flattery thinking I'll over look the little digs you slip in, like the above...
You can find all my covers by clicking the spine image, if you download any please leave a comment or smiley, thanks
ctaulbee
Super Administrator
Hand Me The Sledgehammer... I'll Fix It!
Topics: 1044
CoverArt: 1957
Resources: 12373
Medals: 33
2018 July Cover Contest (1)COTM June 2018 (1)COTM February 2018 (1)COTM July 2017 (1)
2017 May Cover Contest (1)COTM March 2017 (1)COTM February 2017 (1)2017 February Cover Contest (1)

Postby Moviebugg88 » May Mon 21, 2018 8:07 pm

No CT thats not what I meant....Im erasing that....Thats not what I meant....I was trying too say it jokingly....I should of put the laughy face by it....Im sorry CT  :D  :-=
Moviebugg88
Subscriber
Topic author

Postby ctaulbee » May Mon 21, 2018 8:13 pm

Best to get back on topic here and then stay on topic in the future. Just leave all that other stuff out, argumentative posting is very close to trolling in my book and I have no stomach for that.
You can find all my covers by clicking the spine image, if you download any please leave a comment or smiley, thanks
ctaulbee
Super Administrator
2018 July Cover Contest (1)COTM June 2018 (1)COTM February 2018 (1)COTM July 2017 (1)
2017 May Cover Contest (1)COTM March 2017 (1)COTM February 2017 (1)2017 February Cover Contest (1)

Postby Moviebugg88 » May Mon 21, 2018 8:38 pm

Okay
Moviebugg88
Subscriber
Topic author

Postby chouette » May Mon 21, 2018 8:58 pm

Alrighty then, now that we are back at the topic – the cover – there are 2 things that I would change.

1.  You could maybe remove the line under “Includes all 22 episodes from season 1” at the back and see if it looks better. Or possibly move it above?

2. I’m not sure why you put that gold behind the Warner Bros logo and the DVD logo on the spine. It feels out of place no?

Besides that, the rest seems to look fine.
:)
chouette
Site Moderator
In my defense, I was left unsupervised.
Topics: 145
CoverArt: 1198
Resources: 102
Medals: 6
EFX Master Sleuth (1)EFX ShoutBox Champ 2017 (1)Awesome 2017 (1)2017 Rising Star Designer (1)
Showdown Chouette def Wrench (1)Royal Canadian Flying Mod (1)

Postby ctaulbee » May Mon 21, 2018 9:16 pm

I don't like the gold either, nor do I like the highlight down the edge of the spine.

A common mistake made by those new to Photoshop is when they discover the "filters" they immediately think oh cool I can with "one click" do things like embossing, bevels, shadows, glows etc.

This is a big mistake, those things rarely look good as is and most need a fair amount of experience to use them correctly.

The rub is by the time they get to that point, then they will realize just how cheesy those filters make things look and will probably rarely use them.

Tip:

Avoid the built-in filters in Photoshop, they look amateurish unless very well done.

Design is not about "doing things because you can" it's about "doing what is needed."

Once you know what is "needed" then you will find you "need" a lot less "gimmicks" to make your work shine.

;)
ctaulbee
Super Administrator

Postby chouette » May Mon 21, 2018 10:37 pm

Good tips! ;)

Question: Would you consider adding noise to a background or image as a "no-no" also? I'm asking because it's part of Photoshop's filter and I think it's a cool feature, lol
chouette
Site Moderator
EFX Master Sleuth (1)EFX ShoutBox Champ 2017 (1)Awesome 2017 (1)2017 Rising Star Designer (1)

Postby Moviebugg88 » May Mon 21, 2018 11:01 pm

Thanks for the tips CT and Chou....Im on it abd i'll have a nice update tomorrow.  :nerd
Moviebugg88
Subscriber
Topic author

Postby ctaulbee » May Mon 21, 2018 11:19 pm

chouette wrote:Good tips! ;)

Question: Would you consider adding noise to a background or image as a "no-no" also? I'm asking because it's part of Photoshop's filter and I think it's a cool feature, lol

It's OK in some cases, there are better ways to add noise/grain that yield better results though.
ctaulbee
Super Administrator

Postby Arkflip » May Tue 22, 2018 7:39 am

I don't know if this is a wip or not. What I do know is that you talk a lot! Chill dude!

My best advice? Talk less and do more! You have a long way to run and honestly I'm not sure if you will achieve better design skills. Just lemme know if this is a wip so I can post some feedback.
Arkflip
New Designer
Topics: 38
CoverArt: 27

Postby Moviebugg88 » May Tue 22, 2018 4:04 pm

Hi....This is for Chou only....How about a challenge....Since we both think the same when it comes too tv series I chose you because you are probably the best series cover designer on here as I quote unquote heard lol(joking playfully) and I love you as a friend....And I think competition will be good for me too sharpen up my skills some more....So, what do you say....If yes....I know the perfect show since its new season has no cover yet...."Humans" Season 3, which has just started its new season by the way....So, CT, you are the boss....Can you set this up for us if she says yes?
Moviebugg88
Subscriber
Topic author

Postby Moviebugg88 » May Tue 22, 2018 4:08 pm

But Chou....Wait until I finish off this cover right here first okay....I dont want too mess it up trying too rush it
Moviebugg88
Subscriber
Topic author

Postby Moviebugg88 » May Tue 22, 2018 4:40 pm

An update with fixes.  :D
Attachments
Moviebugg88
Subscriber
Topic author

Postby Moviebugg88 » May Tue 22, 2018 6:00 pm

Arkflip wrote:I don't know if this is a wip or not. What I do know is that you talk a lot! Chill dude!

My best advice? Talk less and do more! You have a long way to run and honestly I'm not sure if you will achieve better design skills. Just lemme know if this is a wip so I can post some feedback.

Yeah ark....It is a Wip
Moviebugg88
Subscriber
Topic author

Postby Moviebugg88 » May Tue 22, 2018 9:09 pm

Is this cover ready CT?  :)
Moviebugg88
Subscriber
Topic author

Postby ctaulbee » May Tue 22, 2018 11:19 pm

I don't see anything major that needs attention on it.

I have a question though, with all the images out for this why use a image with text on it for the little spine image?

To be honest when you make decisions to do things like that I have to wonder what you were thinking during the creation process, I mean the title and the season number are on the spine in big letters already so why clutter a tiny image with repeated text?

In design text has a singular purpose, "to convey information" so doing that is tantamount to repeating yourself while speaking by way of comparison.

Being "remiss" on details ends with a cover that is "OK" at best, where as being "mindful" on details is what makes a cover great.

Not saying that OK is a bad thing, just that most generally aim higher than just getting to minimum acceptable is all.

I know words like "details" are generic and broad for those new to design but the point is not that one has to know what "all possible details are" just that they be aware that "recognizing details" is a integral part of good design discipline.

After all you probably won't look for something you can't see yet, unless someone tells you it's there and that you need to.
ctaulbee
Super Administrator

Postby chouette » May Tue 22, 2018 11:41 pm

Moviebugg88 wrote:Hi....This is for Chou only....How about a challenge....Since we both think the same when it comes too tv series I chose you because you are probably the best series cover designer on here as I quote unquote heard lol(joking playfully) and I love you as a friend....And I think competition will be good for me too sharpen up my skills some more....So, what do you say....If yes....I know the perfect show since its new season has no cover yet...."Humans" Season 3, which has just started its new season by the way....So, CT, you are the boss....Can you set this up for us if she says yes?

Do you mean like a Showdown? If so, you realize you can't ask for help at all. But no matter as I can't say I really like being part of these types of competitions. Nothing against you my friend, it's just not my thing. But feel free to make one for this series once you're done with this one here. I will continue my collection for this series eventually. We'll just have 2 different covers for Season 3. No biggy.

;)

P.S. CT might have to approve (being the boss and all, lol), but he's not the one that sets these things up. That would be Wrench.
chouette
Site Moderator

Postby Moviebugg88 » May Wed 23, 2018 12:04 am

Okay CT....Thanks for the heads up....I will change the spine pic and I will submit it too you tomorrow
Moviebugg88
Subscriber
Topic author

Postby Arkflip » May Wed 23, 2018 4:37 am

I don't feel nothing everytime I open your topics. You have 11 topics and 201 posts since March and you still continue doing the same thing, same errors and same poor quality designs.

I think it's time to you to think if you really wanna continue doing this. Design is not for everyone. That spine image with text is a huge basic error and you manage to do it. I honestly believe you don't have skills and won't have for doing this. This cover is so bad dude, there's nothing on it that I like. How do you wanna be a cover designer when you don't know how to work on details? We told you many times to read tutorials, to try to mimic others work but you always end doing the same thing: past 2 or 3 images plus some text and cover done. And this doesn't work for me.
Arkflip
New Designer
Topics: 38
CoverArt: 27

Postby Moviebugg88 » May Wed 23, 2018 9:14 am

Fixed Spine Pic.  :)
Attachments
Moviebugg88
Subscriber
Topic author